Bike hire in Olden

18 months ago there was an option as you got off the ship. There was also two guys at the quayside offering helicopter flights.

If you do an internet search for "Olden information" there is (or was) a downloadable brochure with all sorts of info and advance contact details.

Seems there are two Olden's in Norway. Olden (Stryn) is where our ship stopped. There was a glacier about 30-35 kms away.

If this is the Olden there was a small tourist office near where the ship dock and it rented out bikes. They were of so-so quality and condition but we were able to rent them for the day and bike to the glacier and back. This was about 5 yrs ago so perhaps things have changed. Might be worth checking with the local tourist office to see if they still rent them.

I'm sorry but I don't recall the cost. It wasn't overly expensive. The road to the glacier was OK for the most part but did have some narrower sections which were a little scary given the buses and overall traffic.

The bike ride was one of our highlites of our Fjord cruise.

• 3 weeks later...
Hi, we are looking to do the same and were given this link from Oldens facebook page

http://www.nordfjord.no/en/WHAT-TO-DO/Bicycling/Bicylce-hire/?TLp=898572&Bike-hire-Olden

works out approx. £30 a day each

Thanks for that - we have been to Olden several times and done the glacier trip etc. We just thought it might be nice to cycle along the road that runs past the lake at our leisure. Havent ridden a bike for 20 years though, so it will be a bit of an adventure!

yes I am going to try to get to the glacier as I been told its flat most of the way and not that far up, 150 m above sea level to the troll train car park, then I can walk easy enough , so be nice if the weathers kind to cycle along the lakes side

I was there in April, I noted that there was bike hire available but it's a 44Km round trip plus the hike to the glacier to you'd better be fit :)

The weather there can be very changable so bare that in mind.

It was nice and sunny on the way up but heavy rain on the way back to the ship.

Thanks, yes the weather is the only issue really. Not bigging myself up but at 46 and fit the ride and hike wouldn't be an issue , Id enjoy it as long as I didn't get wet!!

Will see on the day maybe, I guess they have locks for the bikes

That's OK It was more a rhetorical question .

I have emailed the bike people to ask, looked the map of the area it would be a lovely ride if the weather was kind so im hopeful, if not I will get the local bus instead.

Good luck with the weather, if it's nice you'll be in for a very scenic ride.

I had a lazy cruise in May and didn't expect the weather to be as good as it was.

I intend to go back and cycling will be a good option, especially in Flam where you can hire a bike take it on the train up the valley and cycle all the way back.

I spoke to the guy at the hire shop next to the free train museum he gave really good advice, I did this after we got back from our train trip and wished we did the cycle back :o