Santorini- Island volcano hike & Oia?

kmpjdd

We will be on Santorini at the end of August on Celebrity Silhouette. The day we are in port there will be almost 10,000 cruise ship people. We arrive first, at 7, and leave at 5.

My husband really wants to go and do the volcano hike (the one that you have to take the boat to) but we have no desire to go to the hot springs. I would really like to see Oia. Has anyone heard of a trip that would include both that we could book ahead of time? I would be fine with the trip ending in Oia and then we take a cab back to Fira.

thanks for your help!

We will be on Santorini at the end of August on Celebrity Silhouette. The day we are in port there will be almost 10,000 cruise ship people. We arrive first, at 7, and leave at 5.

My husband really wants to go and do the volcano hike (the one that you have to take the boat to) but we have no desire to go to the hot springs. I would really like to see Oia. Has anyone heard of a trip that would include both that we could book ahead of time? I would be fine with the trip ending in Oia and then we take a cab back to Fira.

thanks for your help!

Hi

I think we are on the same sailing 24th August 2014.

I have tried finding a similar excursion but could not find anything that would fit the port times to visit both areas

The only other option I could come up with was a private tour costing $$$$

Have you visited the sailings roll call here http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1832808&page=6

They are organising trips and one may suit you

At the moment we have decided beacause we have found no way to visit both Oia and the volcano within the time limits and a reasonable budget we have opted to visit just the volcano.

If you have any luck please post back here we would love to know

Damon and Family

thanks for your help!

This shows the volcano hike and hot springs tour you can take from the tender dock (€15 so years ago)

[YOUTUBE]dUwKItPJo-E[/YOUTUBE]

It takes 3 hours and from memory I'd say it breaks down like this :

Boat to the volcano islet (Nea Kameni) 30 minutes

Time walking the volcano islet approx 60-70 minutes

Boat to hot springs 10 minutes

Time to swim in Agios Nikolaos Bay 30-40 minutes

Return to the tender dock 30-40 minutes

I think we took the 10 am ship so were back at 1 pm. There's no way of skipping the hot springs, although of course you can stay on the boat sunbathing during that period. I suppose you could get to Oia by 2 pm maybe a bit sooner, spend an hour or so there and get back by say 3.45 to be in time for the last tender. All the best, Tony

I haven't seen any offers that sail to the volcano but skip the hot springs. You can just stay on the boat during the hot springs visit. If you still have time for Oia depends on the time you want to have in Oia. Hiring a taxi including wait-time will make it possible in 2 hours. Remember that you might have to queue for the cable car...

We will be embarking on our Med cruise next week, with a stop in Santorini. I have arranged two tours for the day, a land tour and a sea tour. The land tour starts at 9:00 and will end in Oia at the Ammoudi port at 1:30, where we will meet our guide for the sea portion that will last 3 hours. You can tell them what you want to do, so if it is just hike the volcano, they will take you there. We plan to hike the volcano and swim in the hot springs. They will then drop us at the tender, avoiding the lines to use the cable car. The cost is VERY reasonable. The entire day is only going to be 62,50 Euros each. There will be 12 in our party. Let me know if you would like the information on the tour companies.

We are using Santorini Travel for the land portion. He is meeting us at the top of the cable cars in a 17 seat mini van. We are going to Oia, Fira, Imerovigli, Kamari Beach, Prophet Elia monastery, Santo winery. Our last stop will be the Ammoudi port. Total cost for 12 people for 4 to 5 hours is 450 Euros. He is also going to take pictures during the tour and give us the CD for free. You do have to pay a 100 Euro deposit. This can by done by Paypal.

At 1:30 we are starting the sea portion of our day with Santorini Sea Trips. We will be visiting the volcano and swimming in the hot springs. We are doing a 3 hour trip for 300 Euros for 12 people. You can do a two hour trip as well at a reduced price. They require a 20 Euro deposit. It is 2 Euros to hike the volcano.

I hope this helps! I will come back here after I get back from our cruise and let you know how it went!

Joanna

This shows the volcano hike and hot springs tour you can take from the tender dock (€15 so years ago)

[YOUTUBE]dUwKItPJo-E[/YOUTUBE]

It takes 3 hours and from memory I'd say it breaks down like this :

Boat to the volcano islet (Nea Kameni) 30 minutes

Time walking the volcano islet approx 60-70 minutes

Boat to hot springs 10 minutes

Time to swim in Agios Nikolaos Bay 30-40 minutes

Return to the tender dock 30-40 minutes

I think we took the 10 am ship so were back at 1 pm. There's no way of skipping the hot springs, although of course you can stay on the boat sunbathing during that period. I suppose you could get to Oia by 2 pm maybe a bit sooner, spend an hour or so there and get back by say 3.45 to be in time for the last tender. All the best, Tony

Just wanted to tell you that your videos are outstanding. Thanks for sharing.:)