Corfu Cruise Terminal

Off on our cruise in two weeks, getting excited now!

Anyway, can anyone tell me how far I will have to go from ship to find a collection of shops, not souvenir shops, just ordinary shops, a spar, or similar?

Thanks.

20 minute walk will take you into Corfu old town , don't know if it has a Spar etc... as i wasn't looking for one , but am sure it will have some kind of supermarket , its also very charming and worth stopping off for something to eat and a beer or glass of wine :)

It seems that the Majesty is now berthed almost right outside where you check in/duty free shop. I assume this may alter dependent on which ships are in, however the duty free shop is okay, that's where we normally stock up on bottled water for the fortnight, if I remember correctly it was only about 60 cent for 1.5 litre. Also sometimes get my L&B cig's here as they have deals on 1000's and usually work out cheaper than the boat. Also no hassle from (Louis crew) taking on board. Enjoy you cruise

20 minute walk will take you into Corfu old town , don't know if it has a Spar etc... as i wasn't looking for one , but am sure it will have some kind of supermarket , its also very charming and worth stopping off for something to eat and a beer or glass of wine :)

I'm sure I saw a spar quite close to the terminal when we left yesterday

It's a good 20 minutes walk to the shops/town. But as someone as said earlier the bus stop is just through the gates. It was 2e and if you catch it going you will remember the route number for return:D

Hiya charabanc is it the Majesty you are on we are going on her 23rd May:)

Hi carolynne15, yes we will be on Majesty on May 23rd, less than two weeks now :D

Have you booked any excursions yet? We have not made any firm decisions yet, they all look quite expensive, so will have to choose carefully!

Have a nice day :)

Hi charabanc think most of the ports are easy to do alone may do excursions in athens but a lot of people say its easy to get to train station and do it alone not decided yet have you been on majesty before :)

Hi charabanc think most of the ports are easy to do alone may do excursions in athens but a lot of people say its easy to get to train station and do it alone not decided yet have you been on majesty before :)

Yes it is easy to get to the train station - you go out of the port turn left and follow the main road round til you get to a large pedestrian Bridge which has an escalator and lift so it's a significant structure. You can't miss it and when you get off the other side the Metro station is directly in front of you. It's a good 20 minute walk though. Fare is v cheap - a couple of € and trains run every 5 minutes. You can't get the wrong train as they are all going to Athens. It takes about 15/20 minutes to get to Thissio which is the best stop for the Acropolis. It's the cheapest way to do it.

That's handy for the main tourist attractions - the Parthenon, the Agora, Monastiraki where there is a tourist, local and flea markets and the old town (Plaka) which has a great atmosphere with cafes and shops. You can also walk to the Parliament building for the changing of the guard.

But the HoHo bus picks up at the port and takes you into Athens. As Linda said if you want to do the tour of Athens you swap onto another bus but your ticket covers both. This is probably the more convenient way to get into the city.

Whilst I would recommend a DiY as we just love to wander independently around the areas surrounding the Acropolis (unless you especially want to go somewhere with a guide) I would also say that we always get off the ship early to make the most of our time and get in ahead of the big tour groups, and importantly set off in very good time to get back to the ship to build in any delays. Also we once got back to the port where you have to go through security and have your bags scanned, and found a large American ship embarking passengers for the start of a cruise. There were long queues. You may be lucky and not have many going through security when you get back but it's worth bearing in mind that at Pireaus you can't just walk through the port and onto the ship without security checks - it's not just a 'show your ship' s card' set up there.

Edited by kruzseeka

Hi Charabanc.

First of all you will love the majesty, the staff are fantastic and the entertainment great.

To get to the nearest supermarket in Corfu, turn left and walk towards the town, at the road called Theotoki you will see the Hotel Atlantis just on the corner, walk up Theotoki and the supermarket is about 200 yards on the left.

It will take 15-20 mins to get there.

Kruzeeka is spot on with the direction to Athens, but like in Italy don't forget to validate your Metro ticket before you get on. Again, as Kruz says, Just make sure you leave enough time to get back, last time we were on Majesty in Athens we left at 3pm, so there was not a lot of time and we didn't bother going into Athens. If this is the case and you want to see Athens then a shorex might be worth doing. It will take you around 20-30 mins to walk to the Metro, so that's maybe an hour lost already.

Edited by joeholiday2

Whats the best stop to get off for syntagma square and can you walk tp the plaka area from there :)

Monastiraki is the best stop for Syntagma Sq on the Metro line from Pireaus. I think if you were to swap lines you can get one to Syntagma Sq but it's not far to walk from the Metro station at Monastiraki. It's a straight road - perhaps only 10 minutes. And the Plaka is very close by. You can easily walk there too. Just have a map and you will find your way around without any problem.