How Does Select Dining Work?

We usually choose traditional early dining (we like to eat around 6pm).

On our upcoming cruise, we have select dining.

Do you need to call for a reservation every morning? If so, what time?

Or is it better just to show up at the MDR right at 6pm?

Also, for the Italian place, how do we reserve that one?

Any helpful hints would be greatly appreciated. thank you!!

We've done a total of 27 days, on 3 separate cruises, at a table for 2 in open dining. We never made a reservation, as that negates our option to dine whenever we feel we're ready. We normally go down for dinner between 5:30 and 6:30 - and in all those 27 days, we only had one "wait". That wait was just 10 minutes, and we didn't mind at all.

As for the Canaletto, you may either stop by or telephone for your reservation.

I assume you mean open dining. You do not have to call for reservations. You can just show up. If you do HAL seems to have a very small window in which you can make those reservations. I've found it you go right at 5:15 there is one heck of a line up. This is based on 14 or 15 day cruises. Shorter ones would likely not be that way. I believe you can call at 8am. Some ships will make reservation for a few days in a row.

We've done a total of 27 days, on 3 separate cruises, at a table for 2 in open dining. We never made a reservation, as that negates our option to dine whenever we feel we're ready. We normally go down for dinner between 5:30 and 6:30 - and in all those 27 days, we only had one "wait". That wait was just 10 minutes, and we didn't mind at all.

As for the Canaletto, you may either stop by or telephone for your reservation.

Sounds like they have it figured out. Good to hear.

We went on Princess right after they started their system of select dining, and it was in a word...a disaster. Apparently you had to call at certain times and people were making multiple reservations to game the system. We were lost in the woods, and not to pleased. Princess probably figured that system out by now.

I assume you mean open dining. You do not have to call for reservations. You can just show up. If you do HAL seems to have a very small window in which you can make those reservations. I've found it you go right at 5:15 there is one heck of a line up. This is based on 14 or 15 day cruises. Shorter ones would likely not be that way. I believe you can call at 8am. Some ships will make reservation for a few days in a row.

Yes, I meant "Open Dining". We are just a couple and do not mind sharing a table. We'll probably just go to the MDR at about 6pm after a cocktail. Thanks for the info.

Op: sorry don't mean to hijack your thread but I too have the similar question.

:)

We are a family of 7 and wanted to eat early as well. The early seating is full. Does anyone know if we can make reservations for a table for 7 at 6pm or 6:30pm for the entire cruise? I still want to have the same table and same servers each night.

Thanks.

Op: sorry don't mean to hijack your thread but I too have the similar question.

:)

We are a family of 7 and wanted to eat early as well. The early seating is full. Does anyone know if we can make reservations for a table for 7 at 6pm or 6:30pm for the entire cruise? I still want to have the same table and same servers each night.

Thanks.

If you wait list yourself, you can call Holland America and the customer service rep will usually tell you how far down the list you are and assess your chances. I'm not sure how many large tables there are. I would also hightail it to the MDR as soon as possible after boarding and see what one of the managers can do for you.

Open Dining

You can make reservations for times between 5:15 and 6:15 and from 7:30 - 9 PM.

And you can make reservations for 3 days at a time.

7 people -- more larger tables on the lower level of the dining room where the Open Seating is.

Recently HAL has started to change it's fixed early dining. Some ships it is now 5:30 and one ship it is 5:15.

Sounds like they have it figured out. Good to hear.

We went on Princess right after they started their system of select dining, and it was in a word...a disaster. Apparently you had to call at certain times and people were making multiple reservations to game the system. We were lost in the woods, and not to pleased. Princess probably figured that system out by now.

I actually think Princess does a way better job with open then HAL does but I can't speak to what it was like years ago as I always did traditional.