Sitka - Deciding between 2 excursions...

Yes, I know there is an Alaska forum, but not knowing the providers of the tours makes it hard to ask specifically, so I figured I'd ask it here.

I'm trying to decide between 2 excursions in Sitka - Grizzly Meadows 4x4 Adventure and Volcano Coast Exploration by Ocean Raft. Both have the chance to be out in the environment (not like running isn't going to do that for me as well), both have multiple departure times so I can do the run and get to the excursion, both seem like a lot of fun. But they're going to give me very different experiences - one land-based and one water-based...and I think I could be happy with either of them.

So I'm just curious if anyone here has done either (or both) of them and what your thoughts are as to one or the other.

(If it makes any difference, I'm doing Discover Alaska's Whales in Juneau, so there will be ocean and whale sighting involved in that one.)

Thanks guys! I'm getting so excited for my first time to Alaska and my first HAL cruise (3rd overall...2 on DCL and 1 on the Emerald Seas when it existed).

We took our family to Alaska last summer and my son-in-law and 10yo grandson did the Grizzly Meadows shorex. They liked it, but said it was definitely not as fun as the helicopter ride or the crab boat they did in other ports. There were no bears and the ride was ok, but I'd probably chose the other trip if I were you. Just some thoughts.

OP - DH and I did the Grizzly Meadows excursion on our first trip to Alaska back in 2006. It continues to be one of our all-time favorite excursions. Would highly recommend! The boat ride from Sitka Sound across to the island is like an excursion in itself - we saw plenty of sea otters, eagles, and even a puffin or two!

Upon landing at the island, we chose the last 'Rhino' in the line (DH wanted the opportunity to hang back and then gun it thru the puddles on our journey - it was a hoot!). You will be geared up with helmets that have a two-way radio earpiece so you can stay in touch with the guide in the front vehicle, and he then provides commentary. Be sure to wear rain gear and old jeans - the mud from the trail does splash up. There is an enclosed 'trunk' to the Rhino where you can place any backpacks or personal items for the often times bumpy ride.

After a safety briefing on bear awareness (yes, Kruzof Island is home to numerous brown bears - and even tho we didn't spot any, we saw plenty of signs of bear scat throughout the journey). You follow each other thru all kinds of island terrain - though an estuary, meadow, acros a bridge over a creek (where we saw a seal feasting on salmon), thru a rain forest past two forest Service cabins out to a black sand beach.

It is here where you will have the opportunity to use the restroom (very primitive - tent like structures w/porta-potties inside - suggest bringing tissues and hand sanitizers) and have a small snack - we had hot chocolate, delicious homemade tomato soup, crackers and homemade salmon spread. You are given the opportunity to do a bit of beachcombing, and the views are spectacular with the waves rolling onto the black beach and Mt. Edgecomb (a volcano) right across the sound.

Since we have done this excursion, we have recommended it to several friends and family members over the years who have enjoyed it as much as we did. Would not hesitate to book this excursion. It is tons of fun for those with a sense of adventure, an appreciation for natural beauty and the opportunity to perhaps see some wildlife that is synonomous with the Alaskan wilderness. Go. Enjoy. You won't be sorry!;)

Not a "natural" habitat, but interesting. I thought this was just so so... but DW really enjoyed this. Easy to do from the dock without a reservation - Just look for the "school bus" and you are doing something nice for the locals in Sitka.

Animal lovers heading to Sitka should consider visiting Fortress of the Bear, a non-profit bear rescue facility and the largest of its kind in the United States. Focused on educating the public on bears and how to help their populations, Fortress of the Bear takes in orphaned bear cubs and creates a protective and enriching environment for them. The operation was started by couple Les and Evy Kinnear who transformed Sitka’s old pulp mill into a place where baby bears could be cared for. Visitors can watch the bears being fed, observe and photograph bear interactions, and hear the story of each bear and how it ended up at Fortress of the Bear.

Keep in mind this is not like a typical zoo where you see an animal in a cage. Instead, you’ll watch the bears playing with large barrels and tire swings and being active in a large expanse of land. Additionally, the attraction has a non-touristy, non-commercial feel, allowing for a more authentic experience.

Fortress of the Bear is located at 4639 Sawmill Creek Road. A $3 shuttle service to the attraction is offered from the dock. Admission is $10 for adults; $5 for youth aged 7-18; and free for children under 7. They’re open from 9am to 5pm daily during the summer and 10am to 2pm Friday through Sunday from October 1 through April 15. Call 907 747 3032 or 907 747 3550 for more information.

Edited by Sam.Seattle

OP - DH and I did the Grizzly Meadows excursion on our first trip to Alaska back in 2006. It continues to be one of our all-time favorite excursions. Would highly recommend! The boat ride from Sitka Sound across to the island is like an excursion in itself - we saw plenty of sea otters, eagles, and even a puffin or two!

Upon landing at the island, we chose the last 'Rhino' in the line (DH wanted the opportunity to hang back and then gun it thru the puddles on our journey - it was a hoot!). You will be geared up with helmets that have a two-way radio earpiece so you can stay in touch with the guide in the front vehicle, and he then provides commentary. Be sure to wear rain gear and old jeans - the mud from the trail does splash up. There is an enclosed 'trunk' to the Rhino where you can place any backpacks or personal items for the often times bumpy ride.

After a safety briefing on bear awareness (yes, Kruzof Island is home to numerous brown bears - and even tho we didn't spot any, we saw plenty of signs of bear scat throughout the journey). You follow each other thru all kinds of island terrain - though an estuary, meadow, acros a bridge over a creek (where we saw a seal feasting on salmon), thru a rain forest past two forest Service cabins out to a black sand beach.

It is here where you will have the opportunity to use the restroom (very primitive - tent like structures w/porta-potties inside - suggest bringing tissues and hand sanitizers) and have a small snack - we had hot chocolate, delicious homemade tomato soup, crackers and homemade salmon spread. You are given the opportunity to do a bit of beachcombing, and the views are spectacular with the waves rolling onto the black beach and Mt. Edgecomb (a volcano) right across the sound.

Since we have done this excursion, we have recommended it to several friends and family members over the years who have enjoyed it as much as we did. Would not hesitate to book this excursion. It is tons of fun for those with a sense of adventure, an appreciation for natural beauty and the opportunity to perhaps see some wildlife that is synonomous with the Alaskan wilderness. Go. Enjoy. You won't be sorry!;)

Thanks! I so appreciate the detailed review!! :) It helps a lot!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Chances of seeing Bears anywhere close-up in Alaska is slim.

We've found that to see bears it's usually (but not always) necessary to get at least a little distance into the backcountry. One really great location is in Ketchikan where there is the Alaska Rainforest Sanctuary, available when we were there via a HAL tour or through various private vendors. You'll hike out (on good trails but may not be mobility-impaired accessible; I don't know for sure) with a guide, while following the guide's instructions about what your behavior is to be if the group encounters a bear. You'll come to a lovely clearing where there's a stream with platforms built high above and off to the side a bit, so the bears are not very aware of you. Up on the platforms, you can watch bears doing whatever it is that bears do at the time you're there. If it's the time of the year when salmon are returning to spawn the bears will be down in the water, grabbing the salmon. When we've been there the number of bears has not been fewer than perhaps a dozen. I really think this is a worthwhile way to spend some of your Ketchikan time.

The Sitka sanctuary mentioned above by Sam is also interesting, and the backstory about these rescued cubs is interesting as well, we thought. You'll learn a lot about bear behavior and about the role of bears in Alaska when you visit.

In Icy Strait, out on a small-group boat trip to observe wildlife we saw many bears on the shore and the small boat was able to drift fairly close to shore so we could watch them without frightening them away with the noise of the boat.

You might luck out and just see a bear when you're headed somewhere along the highway but I think your chances of that are pretty low.

Totally off-topic for a bear thread: if you love chocolate, you SO don't want to miss the Alaskan Fudge Company in Juneau (195 S Franklin St, Juneau, AK 99801) and I believe they have a store in Skagway too. In Juneau, it's only a block off the main street; after your tour just dart up a block from the center of town and let your nose lead you the rest of the way. Or ask anyone! Maybe some of it will get home with you and maybe not. Packed in small boxes too if you like; great gifts to take home. If it makes it home.

Although I have seen bears in the wild on Vancouver Island I am always looking for bears in Alaska. Last year we were in Juneau at Mendenlhall Glacier and over head a ranger mention that there was a bear in the viewing area. By the time we made it down there there was no bear in sight. We then headed out on a whale watching excursion. When we returned to the ship we overheard conversations about a bear being at the foot of the Mt Roberts tram and passengers were watching it from the ship. Are you kidding me?

Rockfan2

Although I have seen bears in the wild on Vancouver Island I am always looking for bears in Alaska. Last year we were in Juneau at Mendenlhall Glacier and over head a ranger mention that there was a bear in the viewing area. By the time we made it down there there was no bear in sight. We then headed out on a whale watching excursion. When we returned to the ship we overheard conversations about a bear being at the foot of the Mt Roberts tram and passengers were watching it from the ship. Are you kidding me?

Rockfan2

That reminds me of my sister. She and a group of friends went on a DCL cruise to AK a few years ago, and everyone else saw at least one whale except her. Her nearest miss was seconds when she had been showering and stepped out of the shower room to her friend lowering his camera at the window. Oops!!

We've found that to see bears it's usually (but not always) necessary to get at least a little distance into the backcountry. One really great location is in Ketchikan where there is the Alaska Rainforest Sanctuary, available when we were there via a HAL tour or through various private vendors. You'll hike out (on good trails but may not be mobility-impaired accessible; I don't know for sure) with a guide, while following the guide's instructions about what your behavior is to be if the group encounters a bear. You'll come to a lovely clearing where there's a stream with platforms built high above and off to the side a bit, so the bears are not very aware of you. Up on the platforms, you can watch bears doing whatever it is that bears do at the time you're there. If it's the time of the year when salmon are returning to spawn the bears will be down in the water, grabbing the salmon. When we've been there the number of bears has not been fewer than perhaps a dozen. I really think this is a worthwhile way to spend some of your Ketchikan time.

The Sitka sanctuary mentioned above by Sam is also interesting, and the backstory about these rescued cubs is interesting as well, we thought. You'll learn a lot about bear behavior and about the role of bears in Alaska when you visit.

In Icy Strait, out on a small-group boat trip to observe wildlife we saw many bears on the shore and the small boat was able to drift fairly close to shore so we could watch them without frightening them away with the noise of the boat.

You might luck out and just see a bear when you're headed somewhere along the highway but I think your chances of that are pretty low.

Totally off-topic for a bear thread: if you love chocolate, you SO don't want to miss the Alaskan Fudge Company in Juneau (195 S Franklin St, Juneau, AK 99801) and I believe they have a store in Skagway too. In Juneau, it's only a block off the main street; after your tour just dart up a block from the center of town and let your nose lead you the rest of the way. Or ask anyone! Maybe some of it will get home with you and maybe not. Packed in small boxes too if you like; great gifts to take home. If it makes it home.

Thanks! Unfortunately Ketchikan is the one port where we likely won't have time to do an excursion as it's the short port day and our race site is a 30 minute bus ride away. But it's good to know about for if/when I return to Alaska!!

And YUM on the chocolate!! That'll make a nice gift for my mom!!

Not a "natural" habitat, but interesting. I thought this was just so so... but DW really enjoyed this. Easy to do from the dock without a reservation - Just look for the "school bus" and you are doing something nice for the locals in Sitka.

Animal lovers heading to Sitka should consider visiting Fortress of the Bear, a non-profit bear rescue facility and the largest of its kind in the United States. Focused on educating the public on bears and how to help their populations, Fortress of the Bear takes in orphaned bear cubs and creates a protective and enriching environment for them. The operation was started by couple Les and Evy Kinnear who transformed Sitka’s old pulp mill into a place where baby bears could be cared for. Visitors can watch the bears being fed, observe and photograph bear interactions, and hear the story of each bear and how it ended up at Fortress of the Bear.

Keep in mind this is not like a typical zoo where you see an animal in a cage. Instead, you’ll watch the bears playing with large barrels and tire swings and being active in a large expanse of land. Additionally, the attraction has a non-touristy, non-commercial feel, allowing for a more authentic experience.

Fortress of the Bear is located at 4639 Sawmill Creek Road. A $3 shuttle service to the attraction is offered from the dock. Admission is $10 for adults; $5 for youth aged 7-18; and free for children under 7. They’re open from 9am to 5pm daily during the summer and 10am to 2pm Friday through Sunday from October 1 through April 15. Call 907 747 3032 or 907 747 3550 for more information.

Thanks for posting this info.. I've downloaded it into my Alaska file, as someday hope to get back there..

Only bears we saw were on our HAL land portion in Denali.. A Mama Bear & her cub were feeding on berries when our driver pulled over & shut off the engine.. We all had to remain very quiet.. On the same bus ride a red fox came out of the bushes while we had stopped & he walked around our bus.. Viewing animals in the wild was so exciting for me, an animal lover!!

Edited by serendipity1499

Thanks for posting this info.. I've downloaded it into my Alaska file, as someday hope to get back there..

Only bears we saw were on our HAL land portion in Denali.. A Mama Bear & her cub were feeding on berries when our driver pulled over & shut off the engine.. We all had to remain very quiet.. On the same bus ride a red fox came out of the bushes while we had stopped & he walked around our bus.. Viewing animals in the wild was so exciting for me, an animal lover!!

In Skagway we had taken the train to Carcross and a bus back to Skagway. When our bus driver saw a yearling bear eating dandelions at the side of the road he stopped the bus nearby so, staying in the bus, we could all see. I was fortunate to not only be on the side where the bear was but also in a window seat nearest the bear cub. What an awesome memory watching him ignore the bus as he enjoyed his dandelion treat.

Thanks all! Given that I have a whale watching excursion in Juneau, I decided to go with the Grizzly Meadows 4x4 Adventure. Even with the slight chance of seeing bears, I will get to see different natural environments and be outside. :)

72 days to cruise!!

Excellent choice, Runnergirl - enjoy, enjoy!

Long time, no talk! We're on the countdown to our Zuiderdam Inside Passage return to the Great Land!

Are you heading back on the 14-day'er again this year?

We did a Canada/New England last summer on the Maasdam- Boston - Montreal. We were in Boston on the 4th of July...a great visit, but it was smokin' hot!

Take care!

Wow............That's an easy one for me. I'd choose the Volcano Coast Exploration by Ocean Raft. We did it in 2011 and it was by far the best excursion we've ever done. It's the ultimate "E-Ticket" Ride!

Hi Sam! Yes, I'm off on the 14 day itinerary this coming Sun. May 18th - for the third time:D. Can you tell I'm obsessed? Spent 17 days in AK last May/June - land trip only, and it was our best vacation yet. Planning a winter trip there for the Iditarod and hopefully, some Northern Lights viewing, in coming years. Say hi to DW and your grandson, and DO enjoy your trip on the Zuiderdam!