Eastern Caribbean-Need help with excursions

rkymtchandlers

We are sailing on the Valor, Eastern Caribbean (Nassau, St. Thomas and St. Maarten Oct 23. We are interested in swimming with the Dolphins, Sailing and Snorkeling. We would prefer booking our own excursions any help would be great.

Also, does anyone know if ship time is the same as port time for all of these destinations?

We are sailing on the Valor, Eastern Caribbean (Nassau, St. Thomas and St. Maarten Oct 23. We are interested in swimming with the Dolphins, Sailing and Snorkeling. We would prefer booking our own excursions any help would be great.

Since you really prefer booking your own excursions, you'd enjoyed going to the Ports of Calll section and checking under EACH of your ports stops. It's a just another part of Cruise Critic so you can ask questions there as well.

You have great ports for the things you enjoy so know you'll have a wonderful time!

Happy Sailing! OCruisers :)

I highly reccommend the 12 Metre Challenge in St. Marrten. My BH and I are sailors and loved this excursion. You get to crew on a real Americas Cup boat in a race. Lots of fun and the real crew running the boats were great. Check out http://www.12metre.com.

Happy Sailing!

Sounds like a great excursion. My question is, what is the true physical activity level? This is coming from someone who dabbled in 420 racing back in College. but has since gained a ton of weight :)

Michael

In Nassau we went to the Blue Lagoon (the movie was actually filmed there). We went to the stingray encounter, but after that we went over and watched the dolphin encounter, and it looked like a lot of fun (playing with the dolphins, getting pushed through the water, etc). Maybe if you have time after the dolphin encounter, you could hang out in the blue lagoon, it's a lot of fun as well.

In Nassau we went to the Blue Lagoon (the movie was actually filmed there). We went to the stingray encounter, but after that we went over and watched the dolphin encounter, and it looked like a lot of fun (playing with the dolphins, getting pushed through the water, etc). Maybe if you have time after the dolphin encounter, you could hang out in the blue lagoon, it's a lot of fun as well.

How was the stingray encounter? My wife has been wanting to do one and our last chance (In Grand Cayman) was interrupted by Ivan.

Michael

How was the stingray encounter? My wife has been wanting to do one and our last chance (In Grand Cayman) was interrupted by Ivan.

Michael

First thing you should know is that it's in an enclosed area, not out in the open ocean. What you get is a snorkel/mask, inflatible vest (deflatible too, so you can go underwater), and they give each person a little squid, and show you how to hold it so the stingray sucks it out of your hand. After you feed the stingray, you can either swim around yourself and look at the stingrays, or you can go to the stingray handler and get up really close to one. It was a lot of fun, and at a good price, too. Plus, it doesn't take hours and hours, so you can hang out in a hammock or swim in the blue lagoon afterwards. :D

We did the SNUBA excursion thru VI SNUBA at Coral World for $59 pp we got admission to Coral World (not much to do there but nice clean bathrooms, showers & lockers) and the excursion - it gives you a taste of SCUBA without all of the instruction. When you are finished you head down the boardwalk to Coki Beach for some snorkeling and back to Coral World for a shower (wristband for all day admission was included) and some luch in the shade. Our family had a great day here.

Any other suggestions are welcomed. If you have booked an excursion in any of the ports we will be visiting I would love to hear who you booked them with.

Our favorite and best recommendation in St. Thomas is to go to Trunk Bay in St. John "On Your Own" via Red Hook Ferry and spend the day!

Then, there are times when folks "just want to have fun"!! :D A good one for this if you like party boats is .........

Kon Tiki Party Boat (click for cruisers' reviews/comments)

Have FUN planning! Happy Sailing! OCruisers :)

In Nassau last week we did the Dolphin Encounter at Blue Lagoon. We booked it on the internet for $85.00pp. We took a cab to the ferry terminal for $4.00pp but they took us right back to the ship afterwards. The price booking with the ship was $129.00.

to actually swim with the dolphins it's $165.00pp

Here's the link:

http://www.dolphinswims.com/

Bill

Sounds like a great excursion. My question is, what is the true physical activity level? This is coming from someone who dabbled in 420 racing back in College. but has since gained a ton of weight :)

Michael

There were some not so slim people when we went. Actually, the big guys got the muscle jobs. As long as the person is not frail and doesn't get winded walking up a flight of stairs, it should be fine. I got to be a winch "wench":D.

Archived