Constanta,Romania

Hrista was only in the last two pictures. The picture below is that art deco building which was rather nice but wasn't open to the public. I wandered back to the ship when it was fairly dark but it didn't seem dangerous since only a few dock workers were around in a fairly abandoned area. Nobody with a brain would bring a wallet or much money off the ship in most cities especially this one so I doubt if many robberies occur.

ImageUploadedByForums1433446492.181090.jpg.31e0c255c0db08fbb76c96891ca3e5de.jpg

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

We were recently (May2015) in Constanta and took a Food & Culture Tour that included the Old Town, Museums and several stops for local foods. It was fun, informative and tasty! We booked through OdessaWalks.com and our guide, Cati was professional, personable and very proficient in English. (ecaterina.patrichi@gmail.com) We really got a good look at Constanta and its history.

Some of our friends on the ship did take the ship's tour to Bucharest and their opinion was that the time on the bus was way too long for the time spent in the city especially since a lot of that time was at a restaurant having lunch.

We also did tours in Odessa and Varna. These Black Sea ports are not the usual tourist places and you really do need a guide to find the worthwhile sites.

We were recently (May2015) in Constanta and took a Food & Culture Tour that included the Old Town, Museums and several stops for local foods. It was fun, informative and tasty! We booked through OdessaWalks.com and our guide, Cati was professional, personable and very proficient in English. (ecaterina.patrichi@gmail.com) We really got a good look at Constanta and its history.

Some of our friends on the ship did take the ship's tour to Bucharest and their opinion was that the time on the bus was way too long for the time spent in the city especially since a lot of that time was at a restaurant having lunch.

We also did tours in Odessa and Varna. These Black Sea ports are not the usual tourist places and you really do need a guide to find the worthwhile sites.[/quote

We have been to Odessa twice, once right after Ukraine broke away from the Soviet Union and more recently about 2 years ago. On both trips we simply walked out of the port, up the famous Potemkin Steps, and into the heart of town (this does add up to a few miles of walking). We never found any need for a guide and enjoyed both of our visits. As to "worthwhile" sites I guess that depends on what prefers. Personally, we just enjoy strolling where we please (including areas not visited by tours), having a nice lunch in a local cafe (without another tourist in sight), browsing in some of the shops and department stores, etc.

Hank

• 2 months later...

I arranged a private tour through Viator with Cristina Ruien for a group of 15 on our sailing. Viator offers several different tours but I worked with Christina to arrange a tour that took in both a short tour of Constanta, the ancient Greek ruins of Histria, and wine tasting and lunch at Murfatlar Vineyards. It was a fabulous trip and I highly recommend it and Christina to anyone looking for something to do other than (a) spend hours on the bus headed to Bucharest or (b) hang out all day in Constanta.