Kids Clubs onboard.

walworthwall

It is my understanding that under 3, the child would have to be accompanied by a parent at all times in the kids club.

Also, you do not name a ship. If you are on the Ocean or Pacific, they only have the kids program if there are at least 15 kids on the sailing.

Just about all of the cruiselines are strict. They will know your kids' DOBs. The number of staff hired for each grouping on each sailing is based on the number of kids that will be on board (our last few cruises were during the holidays and on one cruise one of the regular camp counselors said that they hire on extra staff -- often teachers -- for cruises with a lot of kids. On other sailings, they don't need a full staff).

Some people will ask if their kid can get moved up, either because of a sibling or because they feel their kid will be bored. But in most cases, they'll turn you down -- liability issues, the staffing as stated in my first paragraph, and undoubtedly the number of times they'll hear "my kid is mature for my age."

After helping out in elementary classrooms and with middle school drama kids, trust me, many of the kids aren't not mature for their age (and usually many of these belong to parents spouting this. I definitely wouldn't say this of my girl as even I would roll my eyes). As for wanting siblings together, why not let the older one enjoy hanging with kids his/her own age just like at school? Most would want to anyway. And I can't imagine a 13 year old would want to have another teen's little brother in the teen center.

Carnival will take two year olds in their program (and that's 2 years olds...I didn't even try when my girl was 23 months, but we still had fun watching her explore the ship and go to the shows -- she still loves to see them even as a teen). Other programs, such as Princess, will allow a parent to bring their toddler to play, but at specific times. So if this is important to you, check the info on the various cruise line's web sites and decide that way.