Snorkel Question on Coco Cay

We were there in January and brought our own snorkel gear. The vest was required and we were able to just walk up to the snorkel hut and rent the vests. I can't remember what it was, but I think $6 apiece. There is a mandatory safety lecture (free) and then you can snorkel all you want. You are NOT required to pay for the snorkel tour if you bring your own equipment - just the vest.

We have all our own equip. You can buy a vest at most discount sporting goods stores. They're pretty cheap right now (around here) - like $20 or so. We're pretty die-hard snorkelers. I've even snorkeled Lake Erie! :) To me, $20 is a good investment and it's the SMALLEST and EASIEST piece of snorkel equipment to pack. We have all our gear in specially designed backpacks that fit nicely in our designitated UGLY 1970's hard sided suitcase we keep all our "beach" and "Sporting equip" in. It becomes a nice souvie tote as well. You CAN'T squish this baby.

By the way - the "specially designed backpack" full of nice Body Glove gear can now be bought at Sam's Club for only $45 or so. NICE set, too. Trust me, you'll want the little backpack. Carrying it in a drawstring bag hurts the hands.

We actually go to the "main" beach (where the sunken ship and airplane are...) and stay WAY to the left. We've had some AWESOME luck there. We've seen puffer fish, small nurse sharks, TONS of Yellowtauil snappers, TONS MORE Sgt. Majors, eagle rays, stingrays, and lots of other fish I took pictures of and am working on identifying.

:) LOVE CocoCay. Last cruise didn't do a private island at ALL, next one stops at Labadee. miss CocoCay. Actually, I've snorkeled Cozumel, Belize, CocoCay, Bahamas (Nassau), Jamaica, Key West, and Lake Erie. The most luck I've had with fish has been CocoCay and Nassau. Coral was pretty in Belize. Was MASSIVLY dissapointed with snorkeling in Coz, but giving it another shot. I think it was just the tour we were on. Jamaica was good but nothing to write home about. I saw a bluegill in Lake Erie and some cool rock formations. :D Key West was fun but I liked the kayack trip better! :)

Archived