Side balcony vs aft balcony

txflood33

So my wife and I will be sailing on the Reflection in Oct. We currently have an Aqua Class on the 'hump' of the ship on the side. We have one facing the front of the ship so I can only assume we may get some great views from the balcony pulling into port...but also have some wind in our faces while cruising.

I was looking at the deck layout and I saw some Veranda class(?) rooms. It said they were the same layout as the Aqua class but just aft.

What are the pro's and con's of a side Aqua class balcony to an aft Veranda? I also assume there is a higher price for the aft....is the price increase worth the difference?

All Veranda rooms are the same layout, whether they be Veranda, Aft Veranda, Concierge or Aqua. I believe its only the veranda size that differs on some cabins.

Moving to a Veranda Aft you would lose your Aqua perks, and gain a wake view

You did not mention which cruise in October you will be on. If it happens to be the transatlantic one, then keep in mind that all aft cabins will not get any sun on this voyage. If however you will ever take a spring transatlantic, then they are the best catch, just not on this voyage.

Other disadvantages of aft balconies for some poeple are the constant noise of the water and the occasional soot on the balcony floor. On this ship, the balcony is also not very private from above.

I would stick with what you have.

We normally sail Aft, but do not like the design on the S-Class. I took this from the Sunset bar on Reflection last Nov. If you stand to the right or left you can 'view' more of the balcony's. Not that we would do anything to 'hide'!

We were on deck 9 port, back angle of the hump, this yr we are on 8 starboard, front angle, on the Equinox.

image.jpg.2426ae763194748c440680f8c2353641.jpg

Edited by wallie5446

good points about the upper decks being able to get a little peek...something I hadn't thought of but makes quite a bit of sense now.

Does anyone know if the forward facing balconies on the side of the 'hump' get blown away? I would imagine it would be similar to the top deck with the wind from a vessel traveling at 25 knots.

good points about the upper decks being able to get a little peek...something I hadn't thought of but makes quite a bit of sense now.

Does anyone know if the forward facing balconies on the side of the 'hump' get blown away? I would imagine it would be similar to the top deck with the wind from a vessel traveling at 25 knots.

We have friends that will only book forward facing hump angle balcony's. This will be our 1st on an S-Class, but have had them on RCCL ships and experienced no wind problems. Now ours have always been in the Carribean not the Med or on a TA.

quick change of subject...I'm pretty new here...what is 'TA'

first I thought travel agent, but that doesn't work here

thanks

OOOOOO....TransAtlantic?!

Edited by txflood33

We sailed on an eastbound TA on the Eclipse in a C2 cabin on the forward-facing slant of the hump (in what would be the third cabin from the straight part of the hump on a deck with four such cabins). I did not find wind to be a problem. When you are sitting, you always have the option of moving your chair back towards the sliding door if you want. The balcony itself is not "forward facing" in the sense that a balcony would be in the bow. And, at least in my personal experience, it's nothing like being "on the top deck with the wind." We loved the cabin and location so much that we are booked in the same location (other side of the ship) for our TA on the Silhouette this fall. Obviously, I'm speaking only of my personal experience.

Have you checked the reviews for your cabin on the S-class sticky?

Edited by Turtles06

You did not mention which cruise in October you will be on. If it happens to be the transatlantic one, then keep in mind that all aft cabins will not get any sun on this voyage. If however you will ever take a spring transatlantic, then they are the best catch, just not on this voyage.

Other disadvantages of aft balconies for some poeple are the constant noise of the water and the occasional soot on the balcony floor. On this ship, the balcony is also not very private from above.

I would stick with what you have.

we had an aft cabin on the equinox last november in a ta, and we had sun in our balcony during the mornings on the crossing, and the water noise wasnt a problem when the door was closed, and we found it very pleasing to hear the sound of the water along with the view of the wake. you will be seen if you are in the rail, if you are seated by the door, you wont be seen from above. there was some soot in the mornings but we wiped it off the chairs and table with a towel and the deck was cleaned with water every morning. we loved the aft cabin.

Some people talk about liking the front facing hump cabins...don't you see in to the balconies in front of you on the side???

If you stand up at the rail of a balcony along the slant of the hump, this is what you can see. No worries about looking into other balconies.

Viewforward_zpsf3cc7ca9.jpg

(Eclipse port side, view forward; photo by turtles06)

Are the center cabins in the hump sunnier...with less of an overhang from above???

There are a few variables that determine if the balcony will get sun or not. The traveling direction of the ship, port/starboard, morning/afternoon, ect.

image.jpg.6d0a17442f8e12cbe4858cab744f3447.jpg

Edited by wallie5446