Nervous I won't fit in

Jules London

Hi

My mum and dad have booked our first ever cruise on a Cunard ship on 18th July for 21 days. Its a cruise around the Med and although I am looking forward to seeing all the different destinations I am nervous about the formality of cruises

As my parents and I have never cruised before we don't know what to expect.

Probably all silly questions I know for experienced cruisers however I would really appreciate advise on the following:

1. How much luggage can you take. its a 21 day cruise from Livorno, Italy and I was wondering how much I need to pack for three weeks

2. What would I be expected to wear on formal and semi formal nights. Can you get away with most things as long as they look smart

3. What would I wear on informal nights

4. Will there be much for someone my age (I am 16) to do on board ship. Will there be many my age on board. I don't really want to hang out with my parents all the time and they probably want their space anyway

Thanks everyone for any help you can give

Jules :)

Hi Jules. I hope you have a great time on your cruise and that it's the first of many on Cunard.

1. As far as luggage goes, the big question is restrictions if you are flying out to the Med. to join the cruise. In that case the restriction is set by the airline. Last April I flew to Dubai and cruised back to Southampton. It was about 17 days and I managed that with one suitcase (23 kg) and a backpack containing my laptop and books, etc. When I first started cruising there were three categories of clothing for evening wear, and I think I had one outfit for each category and just wore it again and again. That's fine. Now I have about a dozen outfits so I can ring the changes. No one comments if you repeat your outfits, though of course there are some people who manage to wear a different outfit each evening on a 2-month cruise, but wear the same few outfits during the day time. It depends on your priorities.

2. Smartness is definitely the key. For formal nights, I wear either a long skirt and top, or a black sequinned knee-length dress. Some women wear dressy trousers and a beaded or sequinned top. Semi-formal is no longer a category. It has been merged with informal.

3. For informal nights I wear black trousers and jersey top or a knee-length dress, or a dressy skirt and top. With some of the dresses there's only a subtle difference between them and the black formal dress. :p

4. I'm afraid I can't help you in regards to activities for your age, but someone here will have ideas.

There really is a huge variety of dress on board. Just look smart and attractive and wear whatever you have with confidence. It does not have to be fashionable as long as it looks good.

Diane

I am sure there will be passengers your age on your cruise. We tend to do summer trips and there are always some children of different age ranges. They always look like they are having a fun time so I'm sure you will enjoy yourself. When I am organizing outfits for a trip I tend to stick with black base & 1 or 2 colors where you can mix and match. This way i can bring just a couple of black shoes to go with the outfits. I tend to bring different jewelry / accessories to change the outfit up. Mix & match along with comfort are always my go to. My husband takes his tux along with a blue suit. We bring different colored shirts & ties to coordinate his looks. With airline restrictions it's impossible to bring the amount of outfits I would like. Also, the ship has a laundry room & pretty good dry cleaning prices. Have a great time !

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app ~ Kerry

Hi

My mum and dad have booked our first ever cruise on a Cunard ship on 18th July for 21 days. Its a cruise around the Med and although I am looking forward to seeing all the different destinations I am nervous about the formality of cruises

Probably all silly questions I know for experienced cruisers however I would really appreciate advise on the following:

1. How much luggage can you take. its a 21 day cruise from Livorno, Italy and I was wondering how much I need to pack for three weeks

2. What would I be expected to wear on formal and semi formal nights. Can you get away with most things as long as they look smart

4. Will there be much for someone my age (I am 16) to do on board ship. Will there be many my age on board. I don't really want to hang out with my parents all the time and they probably want their space anyway

We have travelled to the Med in the summer holidays and there were a group of about 10 or so older teenagers who seemed to stick together most of the time onboard. We often used to see them in the buffet or just 'hanging out' together around the ship. I don't know how they 'found' each other in the first place - maybe in the roll call section of this website or maybe on board. I don't remember seeing any particular planned activities for older teenagers, but there may have been something.

If it's school holiday time I would be surprised if you were the only person your age on board.

You will really enjoy this cruise I'm sure. :)

Hi

I'll try along with others to give some insight.

1)I guess as much luggage as you wish to take. There's no limit,though your room could get full of suitcases!

2)Though a Tux or "formal" business suit is the norm, for someone your age, a nice sport coat, tie, dress shirt & slacks would be fine.If you do have a Tux, bring it & you'll really look sharp!

3)Sport coat nice slacks & dress shirt with no tie is fine. If you dine in the Kings court you can skip the sport coat.

4)Well, you've never cruised before,so you'll probably be in awe just exploring the ship(especially the QM2)If it's summer vacation(it would be that here in the US)there should be a pretty large group of pax in the 16-22 age group. I think you'll have a blast. If you're shy, remember there will probably be plenty of "pax"(pax=passengers)just like you, so just go with the flow.

Hi

Hi Jules - just one thing the Cruise you mention on 18th July on QE is from Rome (Civitavecchia) not Livorno !!! Livorno is the first port of call after leaving Civitavecchia.. Just thought I would mention - just in case.

Other wise go for it and just join in !!. You will all have a great time I am sure - hope so anyway - great itinerary.

GL

gfs

Edited by gfs1ram

As you are concerned enough to ask these questions I'm sure you'll fit in. Perhaps those who don't try and find out, are those who will take the 'wrong' things and stick out like a sore thumb, but perhaps they may not feel uncomfortable as they didn't care to find out. I'm sure you'll be able to escape your 'olds' and vice versa and have a wonderful time.

Between us, Keith and I have covered all possibilities. I assumed Jules is a female (as my niece Julie sometimes uses that abbreviation) and Keith assumed Jules is male. :D
Jules is from the Latin for Julius so its a Masculine name

Jules is from the Latin for Julius so its a Masculine name
Don't be too sure of the sex of the person named, zider. My wife's name is Michael and she has always been most definitely female.

1)I guess as much luggage as you wish to take. There's no limit,though your room could get full of suitcases!

I wouldn't.

Jules appears to be from London and his/her cruise departs from Italy, so I think it's safe to assume that they will be flying and hence there is normally a 1 big and 22kg (50lbs) weight limit.

Edited by ToadOfToadHall

Hi

Hi Jules. Nervous you won't fit in? No need...look at how easily you figured out all the different forums to post the same question, and you got lots of great responses (not that you felt the need to respond as of yet, but that's ok).

Just curious - haven't your parents discussed with you the amount of luggage you can take, and what you pack? I think that would be a good conversation to have with your parents - just as a start;)

Bon Voyage,

Salacia

Edited by Salacia

I would guess Jules is a girl.

The fashions nowadays for teenagers are quite smart and glitzy so she won`t have any bother dressing with style. Take the bling I say!

We have travelled to the Med in the summer holidays and there were a group of about 10 or so older teenagers who seemed to stick together most of the time onboard. We often used to see them in the buffet or just 'hanging out' together around the ship. I don't know how they 'found' each other in the first place - maybe in the roll call section of this website or maybe on board. I don't remember seeing any particular planned activities for older teenagers, but there may have been something.

If it's school holiday time I would be surprised if you were the only person your age on board.

You will really enjoy this cruise I'm sure. :)

The teenagers are invited to attend a "get to know you" meeting on board.

Likewise, young adults are invited to the the same type of meeting and that is advertised in the daily paper. It used to be 18-30, but I think it is now down to 18-25.

Likewise, young adults are invited to the the same type of meeting and that is advertised in the daily paper. It used to be 18-30, but I think it is now down to 18-25.

Thanks Olliesmum. I did think there must have been a way that they all 'found' each other in the first place! I guess I just didn't pay attention to it in the newspaper, as I'm a bit too old to attend. Just a little. :D

Just to mention, that Jules is a presumably a married woman according to this post:

I spent part of my honeymoon on Santorini. Your photos are bringing back lovely memories :)
http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1947801&page=25 see post #488

Hi

Jules, did you post this last February? http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1947801&page=25 post #148 Your screen name and photo appear there...as does the statement indicating you have sailed on Cunard ships before. Either something is amiss on the Cruise Critic website (which you should report if there is an error) or you doing something that is questionable, to say the least. Please respond and let us know if there is some kind of glitch on the website as I wouldn't want to accuse an innocent person of being misleading. Thank you. -Salacia

Edited by Salacia

Jules, did you post this last February? http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1947801&page=25 post #148 Your screen name and photo appear there...as does the statement indicating you have sailed on Cunard ships before. Either something is amiss on the Cruise Critic website (which you should report if there is an error) or you doing something that is questionable, to say the least. Please respond and let us know if there is some kind of glitch on the website as I wouldn't want to accuse an innocent person of being misleading. Thank you. -Salacia

Salacia, if you click on "Jules London"'s screen name and then on "statistics" and "find all posts by Jules London" you will see that she has only posted 5 messages. All were posted in different CC forums on the same day (11th May) and all asking the same questions as on this forum.

I think you may be referring to someone with a similar screen name - "Jules." who has posted a message on post #16 on this thread.

Edited by Ray66

Indeed, there are 2 separate posters - with different user names.

Jules from Lancashire has not declared a gender as yet unless I missed it.

The only people named Jules that I know are male - presumably for the reasons already mentioned. Jules is usually an abbreviation for Julie or Julia when a female is involved. That's just my experience, I guess some girls may just have been named Jules, like David Beckham named his son Cruz!

lots of good replies.

the Med cruises, done right, are a lot less formal than, say, the TransAtlantic Crossings.

That's because in the Med, most days, you're touring hard. On a TA, there's nothing but shipboard activities, so formal gets more emphasis.

We did a two-week QE med cruise last fall and it was, frankly, exhausting. We were off the ship by 0730-ish and not back until just before sailing (around 6pm). Busy, busy, busy.

We saw a lot of worn out passengers napping over dinner. Frankly, we skipped the formal dining room many nights and ate in the Lido (which had an excellent custom pasta bar) and crashed soon after dinner.

I made do with a blue blazer, 2 ties, and 3 dress shirts with khaki or gray slacks and fit right in. So that should give you some idea about dress. Ashore, it's mostly shorts and t-shirts or casual button front shirts. Modest dress is essential for many churches and in more traditional areas of the Med (my wife carried a light wrap around cover-up skirt in her pack to put on over her shorts for some of the churches in Venice, for instance. No bare knees applies to both men and women in some churches).

Formal night for women is easier. As you say, something party "sharp"...or churchy.

We had a little bit of rough weather. You just barely felt the movement aboard, but it was enough motion to pitch women in 3-stilettos head over teakettle one formal night. We sprouted a goodly number of wheelchairs and crutches at dinner, which really ruined their look.

Worse, however, is the tragedy that these women were crippled for anymore hard core touring ashore. If this happens early in the trip, it's a real disaster. If you or your mom are wearing long gowns, do the sensible thing and re-hem them for flats or very short pumps. My personal observation is that if you don't wear tall heels all day, every day, you have no business wearing them aboard ship. There are too many stairs, too many steps, too many trip hazards and at times, too many waves, to be successful in heels unless you are well practiced and have ankles of steel.

Make sure you insist on activities that are mixed enough for folks your age. There's always swimming and water sport activities, both ashore and aboard ship. During the summer you'll find lots of age peers from many countries aboard ship. If you have interests like reading, writing, or art, you'll be able to take care of yourself anywhere. Photography/Video is another option. I make it a point to photo document the ship itself on each cruise, keeps me busy on sea days.

My wife finds it a bit annoying, but I also stop and jot down notes about what I'm seeing, what I hear, what I thought,...my impressions (I switched off my iPhone cell and just used the notebook app). But notes and photography are my way of engaging with the experience.

There will also be exercise classes, yoga, the gym, movies, stage shows, and some lectures to fill your spare time, if you have any.

Your baggage is going to be pretty much limited by your airline, one large bag, 50 lbs, for each ticket holder. The charge for overweight bags is punitive. Plus carry-on. Clothes that can do double-duty are a treasure. I like lightweight, travel pants with cargo pockets and zip-off legs to convert to shorts.

REI Sahara Convertible Pants with No-Sit Zips - Men's 32" Inseam at REI.com http://ow.ly/wYqqj

Gayle has several of those convertible cover-up/dresses that are black on one side, colored/patterned fabric on the other and can be wrapped or tied in several different styles (don't have a link, she got them at an artist show).

There is shipboard DIY laundry but competition is hot for the machines on sea days. My solution was 0500 wake-up laundry before the touring began. People are not shy about emptying machines when they stop, so I'd recommend several mesh laundry bags if you're touchy about who's pawing through your "small clothes." I remember an elderly Japanese woman on the QE Med Cruise who was quite angry at me when I emptied out her abandoned clothes.

Oddly, it seemed to be the men who did a lot of the laundry aboard ship. Mostly, in our case, retired Navy men from around the world. We had several good gams in the laundry room.

You can get a preview of some of your trip here:

Collection: Cunard Queen Elizabeth Mediterranean Cruise http://ow.ly/wYq6Y

Most importantly, relax and be yourselves. You paid for it, so enjoy it your way. Cunard Med Cruises are not as "high toned" as many from my rather middle class background worry about. Mostly working class stiffs out seeing the world, united by the ship and an interest in travel.

One last word of advice, don't be afraid to do something different, like arrange your own tours separate from the package excursions. We particularly enjoyed Context Travel tours in Athens and Rome. https://www.contexttravel.com/ You can usually find people to fill out your tour in the Cruise Critic's Roll Call for your ship/cruise.

Context tours are conducted by academics or working archeologists and are quite intellectually stimulating. "A day in the Life of Ancient Athenians" was especially good.

We also arranged a private van tour of the Amalfi coast and filled it using the tool at "share a shore excursion." That way we did not have to choose between the Amalfi Coast or Pompeii (although it was a sprint to get back to the ship. Don't dawdle over lunch).

Salacia, if you click on "Jules London"'s screen name and then on "statistics" and "find all posts by Jules London" you will see that she has only posted 5 messages. All were posted in different CC forums on the same day (11th May) and all asking the same questions as on this forum.

I think you may be referring to someone with a similar screen name - "Jules." who has posted a message on post #16 on this thread.

Thanks Ray, you're right. When I read post #16 on this thread saying "I am Jules", I thought it was the OP clarifying that she was a girl, so I clicked on her screen name and saw her previous posts. I see now that I was incorrect in thinking that Jules was the OP, and I apologize for my mistake.:o -Salacia