Important Notice RE: Port of Long Beach - Gerald Desmond Bridge Project

Excerpt from various emails sent by http://www.newgdbridge.com

(Gerald Desmond Bridge Project)

Will I be able to get to the Queen Mary and downtown Long Beach from San Pedro, Torrance, Palos Verde and other South Bay communities?

Yes. For the near term, eastbound Ocean Boulevard heading into downtown Long Beach will not be affected by bridge construction work. However, as new connectors and on- and off-ramps are built near the Pico Avenue and 710 interchanges, there will be long-term closures and detours that will have impacts to Ocean Boulevard traffic. Motorists who do not have business at the ports will be encouraged to avoid taking the direct route from San Pedro to Long Beach via Ocean Blvd., and consider taking alternate routes. The detour routes during certain phases of construction will divert traffic off Ocean Boulevard and onto a stretch of Pico Avenue that is heavily used by trucks serving terminals at the Port of Long Beach.

As part of the Gerald Desmond Bridge Replacement Project, the southbound I-710 to downtown Long Beach and the Queen Mary will remain open during bridge construction, with the exception of one short-term closure. During this short period, commuters and general motorists are advised to use Shoreline Drive and alternate routes to reach downtown.

(info re: getting to the Queen Mary/Carnival)

Demolishing the ramp will require a future, short-term closure of southbound Harbor Scenic Drive, which passes under the connector. Southbound Harbor Scenic Drive is the primary route from the I-710 Freeway to Piers F-J, the Queen Mary, the cruise terminal and south waterfront hotels. Southbound Harbor Scenic Drive is scheduled to close at 5 p.m. Friday, May 23, and reopen by 6 a.m. Tuesday, May 27. To access these areas during the Memorial Day weekend, the detour route is the southbound I-710 Freeway onto southbound Pico Avenue to Harbor Plaza West. However, Long Beach visitors heading via the southbound I-710 to the Queen Mary, cruise terminal, and hotels are encouraged to use the “Downtown Long Beach” exit and Shoreline Drive.