Passport question.

It really depends on when you put in the paperwork. During the slow periods, late fall, early winter, it can be a few weeks. The more you get closer to normal travel season, late spring, summer, the longer it will take, possibly up to 6-8 weeks.

I have a question. I am going to get a passport for my 12 year old son for our cruise coming up in August. I was considering the passport card because other than the cruise, we are not going to be going anywhere out of the country in the next several years and the card is cheaper. But the more I think about it, isn’t the whole reason they say it is better to get a passport is because if there is a problem and you need to fly home, you need a passport. If that is the case, then the passport card wouldn’t work.

I am thinking too much about this? Should I just go ahead and get him the passport book and not think about the passport card?

I have a question. I am going to get a passport for my 12 year old son for our cruise coming up in August. I was considering the passport card because other than the cruise, we are not going to be going anywhere out of the country in the next several years and the card is cheaper. But the more I think about it, isn’t the whole reason they say it is better to get a passport is because if there is a problem and you need to fly home, you need a passport. If that is the case, then the passport card wouldn’t work.

I am thinking too much about this? Should I just go ahead and get him the passport book and not think about the passport card?

The passport card does nothing more than the birth certificate can do so I would get the regular passport.

Getting the card is a waste of money if you need to fly home so what's the point?

Bill

It can take anywhere from 3 - 6 weeks, depending on how busy they are. You can also pay extra to expedite the process; I had to do this three years ago for a last-minute trip to Canada and it took about 2 weeks to get it in. I think it was like $60 extra and the total was around $210.

This tool will help you see how much it costs and how long it should take:

http://travel.state.gov/content/passports/english/passports/apply.html

Edited by iheartmarshall

Last month we requested new passports for our kids and renewals for us. The kids ones just arrived and took about 4 weeks and our renewals have not yet arrived. The State Dept website says 4-6 weeks depending on volume. We got passport books for the kids. I figured if I was going to spend the money, I might as well get something that will work for flying too.

I have decided to go ahead and get a passport, has anyone recently gotten one and how long did it take?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I got two passports for both my daughters. I was shocked I got them BOTH in less than 3 weeks. What threw me off though was that I got the birth certificates back in the mail FIRST then the passport followed a couple days later so don't freak out. I called and found out thats the protocol (even got a real person when I called:eek:)

I got two passports for both my daughters. I was shocked I got them BOTH in less than 3 weeks. What threw me off though was that I got the birth certificates back in the mail FIRST then the passport followed a couple days later so don't freak out. I called and found out thats the protocol (even got a real person when I called:eek:)

Really? I have always received my birth certificate a week or so after my passport arrived.

I have decided to go ahead and get a passport, has anyone recently gotten one and how long did it take?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Smart move! I concur with the other posters. I just renewed mine this year. Seems like it took a little longer than 3 weeks though...

I was unsure as well with my daughters. I thought perhpas because they were children it needed to be different but found out after it was broken down to me that the best thing is the EXACT Passport Book that adults would have. According to the U.S. Passport application:

"Unlike the Passport Book, the Passport Card is valid only for entry to the United States at land border crossings and sea ports of entry when traveling from Canada, Mexico, The Carribean, and Bermuda. The passport card is not valid for international air travel"...

I got the Passport Book for them so that I can take my children wherever, however I choose. Hope this puts you at ease a little bit:)

• 3 weeks later...