Cinnamon Bay (St. John) or Coki (St. Thomas)

rlstamps

I will be traveling to St. Thomas in June via the Oasis of the Seas and I am wondering where to go. I want a nice beach with crystal clear and very blue water and nice snorkeling off the beach. I thought I would head over to St. John and go to Cinammon or Trunk...but now with all of the postings about Coki and seeing pics, I am wondering if we should go there??? Anyone with experience going to both places and can tell me which is better? We will be in port from 10:00-7:00.

The water at Coki is more consistently calmer than Cinnamon, and though Coki may be crowded when you arrive if you head out right after disembarking, the crowds should definitely start thinning starting at 2.

Coki is a livelier beach, though, than Cinnamon or Trunk, because there's usually loud, local music playing and some people "smoking." If that's not an atmosphere you'd feel comfortable with, go to Trunk or Cinnamon.

9 hrs in port is enough time to enjoy Cinnamon, not sure how the snorkeling is. Coki is one of the 2 most crowded beaches because it's a small bay and Sapphire doesn't currently have public restrooms or rentals. So if you don't mind a very lively or busy vibe Coki is a good choice. However, if other ships are in port earlier whichever beach you choose will be crowded by the time you get there.

If you have your own gear and can get by with no restrooms I would consider Sapphire - great snorkeling with food & drink options. If you can settle for a towel in the sand under the trees you'll be in paradise.

I believe your ship will dock at Crown Bay, and if that is the place I would go to Emerald Beach. It is a beautiful beach, at a Best Western resort so there are facilities, a restaurant/bar and generally it is easy to get a taxi back to the ship.

I believe your ship will dock at Crown Bay, and if that is the place I would go to Emerald Beach. It is a beautiful beach, at a Best Western resort so there are facilities, a restaurant/bar and generally it is easy to get a taxi back to the ship.

Unfortunately snorkeling is not a good option at Lindbergh Bay (aka Emerald Beach for the BW Emerald Beach Resort Plus). The East End beaches like Secret Harbor, Sapphire, and Coki are best for snorkeling on STT and are gorgeous as well.

There are some good snorkel beaches on STJ if you have your own gear. And if in port on a very busy day a daysail charter is an great way to escape the crowds on both islands and hit some of the better snorkel spots among the cays off STJ.

• 2 weeks later...

I have been at both beaches. Coki is by far more convenient, busier, and had decent snorkeling. It also can be combined with Coral World next door (which is a nice side excursion to do before taking a dip). Cinnamon was lower key, a bit wavier, less busy, a bit more 'exotic' I suppose and my preferred location (because that is my style).