Seattle vs Vancouver whats the difference

So I will be taking my first ever Alaskan cruse next year. I haven't booked it yet. I will be sailing on HAL. I see that they cruse out of Seattle & Vancouver. I do see a slight increase in pricing on the Seattle cruise. What are the major differences? Any pros vs cons? I do see airfare is slightly higher to Vancouver.

Any input is appreciated.

you might want to jump over the Alaska forum ... that question has been asked and answered many times.

Generalizing .... the sailings from Vancouver are more scenic because they sail between Vancouver Island and the mainland. Calmer water too. Seattle sailings are on the west side of Vancouver Island which is open ocean so they can be a little rougher. Also Seattle trips MUST stop in Victoria, usually 6pm - 11pm which is kind of a useless time.

Some folks find much cheaper fares to Seattle then train, bus or rent a car to Vancouver.

So I will be taking my first ever Alaskan cruse next year. I haven't booked it yet. I will be sailing on HAL. I see that they cruse out of Seattle & Vancouver. I do see a slight increase in pricing on the Seattle cruise. What are the major differences? Any pros vs cons? I do see airfare is slightly higher to Vancouver.

Any input is appreciated.

Most HAL cruises go to Seward to tie into land tours. They also have ships doing return cruises from Vancouver . Vancouver cruises have a tendency to spent more time in port than from Seattle.

There are a number relatively in expensive ways to get between Vancouver and Seattle.

Most HAL cruises go to Seward to tie into land tours. They also have ships doing return cruises from Vancouver . Vancouver cruises have a tendency to spent more time in port than from Seattle.

There are a number relatively in expensive ways to get between Vancouver and Seattle.

I'm going to have to disagree with you on HAL. Only the Osterdam and the Statendam are doing the one-ways to Seward this year. The Zaandam and the Zuiderdam are doing 7-days from Vancouver and the Westerdam and the Amsterdam have 7-days from Seattle. Both the Seattle and the Vancouver ship spend about the same time (within minutes) in both Juneau and Ketchikan. Seattle is stopping in Sitka, Vancouver in Skagway. The port visit in Victoria is usually from about 6pm to Midnight.

We have cruised from both ports and we have liked both. Vancouver for the inside passage and Seattle for the "open sea" crusing--as opposed to others we both enjoy the wind and the waves!

When we do Alaska cruises, it is for the scenery. We've sailed from both Seattle and Vancouver. The scenery on a Vancouver cruise wins hands down on those first and last sea days. Sailing from Seattle you see the open ocean. You can be sailing (almost) anywhere in the world and get a similar view. With the Vancouver cruises you'll spend the majority of those two days sailing among beautiful scenery.

I'm leaving from Vancouver tomorrow.

Every time I looked at flights from Indy to either one, their wasn't much of a difference. Every city if different but don't assume flights are cheaper to Seattle. They may not be.

Southwest would have been cheaper but their flight times were horrible back to Indy. We would have have had to spend an extra night in Seattle which would have ate any savings. And I'm one that likes to get home after a cruise.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app