Reflections of the Qm's Dubai- Southampton sector

SS Warringtonia

As the title says, these reflections are an honest and personal thoughts over the above voyage.

To start with this 18 day leg was a bit of an experiment for Mrs W and myself, we've not been in the position before to have so long away.

We enjoy sea days and are always gainfully employed with some activity when at sea and I must publicly thank the speakers and those who organised their booking- Terry Waite was amazing, but, only four port days, yes I am aware that due to troubles in Egypt we lost a day there, did take the shine off it a little.

Our free upgrade to a balcony stateroom, 8057, gave us a view of about a third of the maximum available due to us just being between a life boat and a tender. We did manage to get sunlight but how these are sold as balconies- albeit restricted view- is simply not fair. At least we knew what we would be getting. On occasions as I wandered down the deck 8 alley way, if a room door was open I would take a peek- the orange glow met through the balcony window of life boats must seem to the occupier like a permanent sunrise.

We suffered the annoying banging of the out side door from directly below us- thankfully due to piracy prevention procedures access to deck 7 was denied throughout the hours of darkness.

It was sad to see the scramble for loungers/ steamers from well before eight a m and the selfishness of people once they had bagged theirs' hogging it for the day and 'reserving' it whilst they dined.

King's Court has always been busy but with the ship being full it was unbearable.

I have seen a real decline in the diversity of food provided in the KC over recent years and by and large it is the same food in all three areas. Perhaps Cunard should make the layout, as best they can, identical in each sub area so that people won't wander aimlessly.

As I said the ship was completely full, no doubt due to some extremely good late booking offers. I hate to say this but I feel that Cunard have sold them too cheaply and attracted a breed that are new to Cunard and really didn't fit in.

I give some examples: a person licking a plate whilst collecting food in the KC,

a man assaulted in the Royal Court Theatre due to upsetting another as he was trying to push his aged mother in her wheel chair and caught him with the wheel chair, Chocolate being put in a tumble drier (I kid you not) by the female who lost her use of the drier to, shall we say, somebody more assertive.

We really don't need this- there were many other examples.

Late sitting service in the Britannia left something to be desired. It was all too rushed, it seemed like there was another sitting after ours.

By the time the waiter had doled out the menus, he was back around taking orders. The bread rolls selection had a choice of three varieties- I'm sure there used to be more of a selection.

My main course was served before my wife had finished her starter... I reminded the waiter about etiquette, and it wasn't as if he was new to waiting,he was in his early 30's.

Coffee was almost served before dessert at just about every meal.

Unknowingly, when we booked, we didn't realise the three queens were meeting in Lisbon for the tenth QM2 birthday. Much was made of this and what a fabulous atmosphere the party was on deck 8. A special sangria was being blended for the sail away. I do think that Cunard could have offered a free drink...take it out of the 15% service charge to cover the costs if they feel that way inclined! They make enough out of guests with said charge. As an aside, I walked past H Stern the jewellers and they were offering ( outside the shop in the lobby) glasses of Veuve Cliquot....I declined, but it's nice to be offered.

So we returned a little disillusioned and saddened with Cunard.....we love the ship and all that Cunard traditionally stood/ stands for....and I know that the bean counters run the show but it's sad to see standards slipping.

Comments from fellow passengers welcome.

Hi SS Warringtonia. Thanks for your report. I admire your frankness.

On a few recent QM2 voyages, my husband and I have also experienced service in Britannia Dining room that was appallingly bad. On other voyages, the service was exceptional. I can't account for the disparity; there seems to be no consistency in terms of service. And that is unfortunate because I know many crew members take professional pride in their job, and the reputation of the crew is unfortunately suffering as a result of those who are either badly trained or unhappy with their employment.

Regarding the conduct of passengers, badly behaved passengers have no place on a ship at sea - it's no place to act like a fool, and I don't care what fare they paid, just follow the rules of a ship at sea, or don't go to sea. <just my opinion>

Regards,

Salacia

Edited by Salacia