Wismar or Schwerin? Germany ques.

Hello,

Looking for advice - any preferences for Wismar or Schwerin? Is is possible to do both in a day (we have a long day in port there)?

I looked at the DeutcheBahn website but it shows no train going from Wismar to Schwerin or vice versa. However, I know this doesn't mean they aren't trains.

I appreciate any help!

Thanks!

Schwerin castle and especially taking a boat tour approach to it is a must do. The boat approaches the castle and besides the scenic views, there are reflections of the castle on the water. The castle itself real looks like what a fairy tale castle (think Sleeping Beauty castle at Disneyland) should look like and it is is fine condition since it is also used by the local government as a meeting place. My DW & I thoroughly enjoyed it on our Baltic cruise vacation last year.

Another vote for Schwerin...and I haven't even been there. We did Wismar and found little of interest other than the building facades. After walking around for 1.5 hours, we left for Rostock (not much there either) before returning to Warnemunde, where we walked up and down the main drag close to the ship.

Tablemates shared their enjoyment of their Schwerin trip and made us wish we had joined them.

Friends of Dave Tours has combined their Wismar and Schwerin tours into Dave's Mega Mecklenburg Tour for 2014: http://www.friendsofdavetours.com/Warnemunde_Port_Tours.html. I am thrilled, as I had a hard time choosing between Wismar and Schwerin. I'll be on Dave's tour on June 19th. :)

I saw this! But it is just more than we want to spend - but the tour looks fantastic! Thanks!

Hello,

Looking for advice - any preferences for Wismar or Schwerin? Is is possible to do both in a day (we have a long day in port there)?

I looked at the DeutcheBahn website but it shows no train going from Wismar to Schwerin or vice versa. However, I know this doesn't mean they aren't trains.

I appreciate any help!

Thanks!

Hi,

There is an hourly train service from Schwerin to Wismar at 46 mins past the hour and a service from Wismar back to Rostock at 42 mins past the hour. It is very easy to do both in the one day using a Mecklenburg Lander Day Ticket. See my web site for details or use

http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query2.exe/en

Happy cruising :)

Anni

www.travelanni.webs.com

Hi,

There is an hourly train service from Schwerin to Wismar at 46 mins past the hour and a service from Wismar back to Rostock at 42 mins past the hour. It is very easy to do both in the one day using a Mecklenburg Lander Day Ticket. See my web site for details or use

Anni

www.travelanni.webs.com

Great! Thanks so much!!

Hi,

Anni

www.travelanni.webs.com

Hi Anni - a couple more questions for clarification. 1) Looking at the Mecklenberg Lander Day ticket it looks like it is 22 Euro per person. This would include trains between Rostock, Schwerin and Wismar? And we would just have to buy this one ticket and it is unlimited rides between those cities? 2) It appears to me this is a cheaper option than just going from Rostock to Schwerin round trip?

Thanks!

Hi Anni - a couple more questions for clarification. 1) Looking at the Mecklenberg Lander Day ticket it looks like it is 22 Euro per person. This would include trains between Rostock, Schwerin and Wismar? And we would just have to buy this one ticket and it is unlimited rides between those cities? 2) It appears to me this is a cheaper option than just going from Rostock to Schwerin round trip?

Thanks!

Hi,

The Mecklenburg Lander Day Ticket costs 22 euro for one person plus 4 euro for each additional person up to 5 persons travelling together. ie. 1=22 euro, 2=26 euro, etc.

It is valid for unlimited travel in Mecklenburg (plus Hamburg and Lübeck) between 9am and 3am the following day on all RE, RB and S-bahn services (RED trains) on weekdays, between 0 and 3am the following day on Saturday, Sunday and Public Holidays.

Warnemünde, Rostock, Schwerin and Wismar are all within Mecklenburg.

You can also find this information on the Tickets ..... page of my web site and full details of how to get to Schwerin or Wismar on the appropriate pages..

If you plan to take the 9:07 from Rostock to Schwerin or 9:06 to Wismar on a weekday then you will need to purchase additional single tickets from Warnemünde to Rostock to cover the time before 9am.

Ann

www.travelanni.webs.com

Hi,

The Mecklenburg Lander Day Ticket costs 22 euro for one person plus 4 euro for each additional person up to 5 persons travelling together. ie. 1=22 euro, 2=26 euro, etc.

It is valid for unlimited travel in Mecklenburg (plus Hamburg and Lübeck) between 9am and 3am the following day on all RE, RB and S-bahn services (RED trains) on weekdays, between 0 and 3am the following day on Saturday, Sunday and Public Holidays.

Warnemünde, Rostock, Schwerin and Wismar are all within Mecklenburg.

You can also find this information on the Tickets ..... page of my web site and full details of how to get to Schwerin or Wismar on the appropriate pages..

If you plan to take the 9:07 from Rostock to Schwerin or 9:06 to Wismar on a weekday then you will need to purchase additional single tickets from Warnemünde to Rostock to cover the time before 9am.

Ann

www.travelanni.webs.com

Thanks Anni! We will be there on a Sunday so will I not have to buy an additional ticket on the S-bahn? Can I get the Lander ticket in Warnemunde or will I have to wait until Rostock? Thanks again!!!

Thanks Anni! We will be there on a Sunday so will I not have to buy an additional ticket on the S-bahn? Can I get the Lander ticket in Warnemunde or will I have to wait until Rostock? Thanks again!!!

You will not need an additional ticket on a Sunday but you need to buy the Lander ticket before you get on the train in Warnemünde, at the ticket office or the machine on the platform. Or you can buy on-line before you leave home following the instructions on the last page of my web site.

Happy cruising, :)

Anni

www.travelanni.webs.com

You will not need an additional ticket on a Sunday but you need to buy the Lander ticket before you get on the train in Warnemünde, at the ticket office or the machine on the platform. Or you can buy on-line before you leave home following the instructions on the last page of my web site.

Anni

www.travelanni.webs.com

Anni you are the best!! Thanks so much!!

I know it's somewhere in the all of the information you have supplied but I couldn't come up with it. If we want to take the train from Warnemeunde to Schwerin - do we have to go through Rostock or is it a stright shot from the Warnemeunde HOB? Also, once in Schwerin, how does one take a canal ride leading up to the castle.

Thanks

I know it's somewhere in the all of the information you have supplied but I couldn't come up with it. If we want to take the train from Warnemeunde to Schwerin - do we have to go through Rostock or is it a stright shot from the Warnemeunde HOB? Also, once in Schwerin, how does one take a canal ride leading up to the castle.

Thanks

Hi, To get to Schwerin from Warnemünde you must change from the S-bahn (local suburban train) to a main line train in Rostock.

I think you must have mixed up Schwerin with another town as there are no canal boat rides there. There are boat tours around the lakes and they start from the jetty right next to the castle.

www.weisseflotteschwerin.de/en/

Full details on how to get to Schwerin from Warnemünde are on the Schwerin page of my web site.

Anni

www.travelanni.webs.com