Montego Bay near ship

cruisingTXfamily

We will be on a cruise that stops in Montego Bay this summer. We are currently considering various excursions, but are also considering anything to see/do (could include shopping) within walking distance of where the ship will be. For those who have been to Montego Bay before, is this a safe area to wonder around alone (we have 2 daughters - ages 10 and 13) and if so, is there anything to see/do within a reasonable walking distance? Our daughters would not be wondering around alone, but we would be alone as a family unit.

No, where the ship docks is pretty much industrial port. You'll need to take a cab. I recommend taking a cab to Doctors Cave Beach and walking up and down the Hip Strip. Lots of little shops, some restaurants, all along the waterfront. This is where Margaritaville and the Pork Pit are located as well. Fairly safe. We had no issues. Not as pristine as some other Caribbean ports, but the Hip Strip area has really come around and is kind of fun to wander.

It's not far from port...you'll be within easy viewing of the ship, but not walkable.

Edited by mrsfuzzmo

I am going to Jamaica again....but it is not one of my favorite ports. We do not go on our own....we take a ship excursion. We always do our own thing on every other island...but not Jamaica.

We do not like being harassed by the locals to buy Ganja, homemade turtles, beads, necklaces, or have anyone's hair braided. We have tried the polite, "No thanks" or "Respect, Mon" but the bugging continues everywhere we have gone. I have 4 boys, now all big boys... 6'1 - 6'4, but that doesn't stop anyone from coming up to us.

If you take a taxi make sure it has a red license plate which is a real taxi and not an imposter. Drs cave beach $6 entry fee, $6 chair rental and if you choose $6 umbrella. Easy and close. Again agree on taxi fee BEFORE getting in. I wouldn't pay for round trip in case they don't show to return. Taxis are easy to get both directions. Have a blast!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 1 month later...

hey guys, not too sure if this was discontinued or something, but I know there used to be a shuttle bus that you could get a pass for at the terminal that you can hop on and off all day and it takes you around the town to various points. Is this no longer operational?

There is not really anything within walking distance of the pier...and I agree, Doctors Beach is one of the best there is in MoBay. If taking a taxi (don't think there was a shuttle available), make sure it is a licensed taxi, you wont ever have a problem with those guys as they are under strict supervision of the government...