What *IS* the Mediterranean Difference?

TipsyT

I keep reading that MSC is "different" from main-stream American cruiselines. That there is this Mediterranean flavor to the MSC cruises. Can someone please tell me what these differences are? I know that meal times will be longer and that there will be fewer ship-wide announcements. What else, please? I've been on Princess, RCCL, X and NCL.

Thanks!

Trish

I keep reading that MSC is "different" from main-stream American cruiselines. That there is this Mediterranean flavor to the MSC cruises. Can someone please tell me what these differences are? I know that meal times will be longer and that there will be fewer ship-wide announcements. What else, please? I've been on Princess, RCCL, X and NCL.

Thanks!

Trish

Hello Trish,

Having lived in Spain, Italy, Greece and Turkey - all Mediterranean countries - I can assure you that MSC is an over-the-top Italian-themed cruise line rather than 'Mediterranean-flavoured'. An MSC cruise is more Italian than Italy.

The differences?

1) Italian-dominated menus

2) Italian-dominated classical music and shows

3) Italian officers and senior staff - and yes, they insist on speaking Italian first

4) Italian night

5) Italian art and style throughout the ship

6) Dinner being the event of the day - 2 to 3 hours and 7 courses worth

7) The best pizzas at sea and possibly on land

8) A traditional cruise dining experience - set table and sitting

9) Very tastefully decorated ships

10) Italian organisation!

Edited by Skipper Tim

And apparently raw or undercooked bacon.

I do not yet know where this 'under-cooked' idea came from.

There are very different ideas about bacon from around the World but so far the argument has been about streaky (US) vs. back (rest of the World) bacon.

Bacon is always cooked!

The US variety is the type we had in the 70's, full of fat and distinctly unhealthy. It is so unhealthy that there is almost no market for it in the UK now. Hence we have our other choices.

Thanks!

Trish

Be aware that the Divina cruising the Caribbean is not like the MSC ships cruising the Med. The Divina departing from Miami has been americanised. For example, Americans eat more meat, bigger portions and they prefer their pasta overcooked. If you want to experience the real MSC feeling, you have to take a cruise in the Med. I've done the Caribbean and the Med and I noticed the difference. When cruising the Caribbean I had to ask my waiter to bring me half portions.

Edited by MM42

Be aware that the Divina cruising the Caribbean is not like the MSC ships cruising the Med. The Divina departing from Miami has been americanised. For example, Americans eat more meat, bigger portions and they prefer their pasta overcooked. If you want to experience the real MSC feeling, you have to take a cruise in the Med. I've done the Caribbean and the Med and I noticed the difference. When cruising the Caribbean I had to ask my waiter to bring me half portions.

You should see the portion of risotto with scallops on the Divina: 2 small scallops on a half-handful of rice. Would you prefer to get just one scallop?:confused:

Note: I am not complaining,it was just observation at our dining table.

You should see the portion of risotto with scallops on the Divina: 2 small scallops on a half-handful of rice. Would you prefer to get just one scallop?:confused:

Note: I am not complaining,it was just observation at our dining table.

How many courses was the meal where this dish was served?

Speaking personally, that kind of serving would be PERFECT for me! I adore food but due to stomach issues I am seriously limited in quantity. So for me, a meal that spaces out numerous small but delicious serves over several hours would be just heaven! And my poor husband, who has no such problem, has got used to eating the way I do and the quantities I do and has lost 20kg and is now a very fit and enthusiastic MAMIL. We've both found this a very healthy and satisfying way to eat.

How many courses was the meal where this dish was served?

Speaking personally, that kind of serving would be PERFECT for me! I adore food but due to stomach issues I am seriously limited in quantity. So for me, a meal that spaces out numerous small but delicious serves over several hours would be just heaven! And my poor husband, who has no such problem, has got used to eating the way I do and the quantities I do and has lost 20kg and is now a very fit and enthusiastic MAMIL. We've both found this a very healthy and satisfying way to eat.

There were 7 courses if you count a cheese platter (which I don't). I,personally,would not be able to eat all of them,usually had 3. I brought the risotto dish as an example that the portions were,in my opinion,just a right size-means small-and I would not suggest to make them half size of already small size. All entrée orders had been of regular,good size:).

There were 7 courses if you count a cheese platter (which I don't). I,personally,would not be able to eat all of them,usually had 3. I brought the risotto dish as an example that the portions were,in my opinion,just a right size-means small-and I would not suggest to make them half size of already small size. All entrée orders had been of regular,good size:).

If you had 3 out of 7, maybe some portions were too big? A couple from Germany sitting next to me always ordered 1 main dish for the two of them. The maître d'hôtel told me that, in fact, the portions were bigger for the North American market and that there was more meat on the menu. Mediterranean people do not eat that much meat.

Have done 2 MSC cruises in USA (Poesia) and 1 (Splendida) in the Med.

I enjoy MSC but fact is the standard of service and food in Europe was way below that in the US. I'm not fussy or a professional moaner, that's just the way it is, in fact I'll be on the Armonia out of Venice in June. Also in US the spa area is free to use where in Europe there's quite a hefty charge.

A deal-breaker for me with MSC in the Mediterranean are the short times in many ports. Is that a European thing?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Perhaps.....many of the passengers are European with a fair percentage sailing from their home country. Many, myself included have been to the area a lot, so we don't need ages ashore and are happy with the port times being whatbthey are. Maybe it's a bit the same forAmerican cruisers in the Caribbean where they've been to the ports often.

I do understand that for people from further afield that have not visited the area before or much, would want longer ashore. Then again to see a place properly you need a land based holiday, a cruise just gives you glimpses of a place.

Could also be to keep the costs down and cruise fares down.

A deal-breaker for me with MSC in the Mediterranean are the short times in many ports. Is that a European thing?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

The Divina has a fantastic Med cruise with penty of time in each port. 18 hours in La Spezia, 11 hours in Naples, 9 hours in Barcelona .... wow.

It might just be that Europeans, in general, prefer a cruise with more port days than more sea days. Maybe because Europeans have more holidays and a very large percentage of them go to a beach / relaxing destination every summer, so that they don't need to relax that much during the cruise.

So if a cruise makes a longer itinerary and makes almost daily port calls, the short time in ports is the only solution. And let's face it, the lines promote that short times since they can sell more excursions this way, as people have more difficulties organizing the port day on their own and are afraid to miss the ship.

In a 7 night cruise, we prefer almost daily port calls, as we live in a tourist destination anyway. Next year we're thinking about making a northern Fjords cruise, the only thing I dislike is that it has 2 sea days + the embarkation day where you don't usually do much.

The Divina has a fantastic Med cruise with penty of time in each port. 18 hours in La Spezia, 11 hours in Naples, 9 hours in Barcelona .... wow.

Western med itineraries are usually shorter, thus the port times are much longer. Short port times happen mostly in eastern med itineraries.