Cruising 3 months post-Achilles surgery?

ohhbother

Hi all.

My husband and I are booked on the Eclipse for eight nights in Norway in late August/early September. Unfortunately, I've injured my Achilles tendon and will be undergoing surgery to reconstruct it one week from today.

My doctor says I "should" be OK by cruise time, so long as I don't plan strenuous excursions. My questions are this. Has anyone ever cruised three months after Achilles surgery? How were the pain and swelling? And, for those of you have done a Norway cruise, will I miss out on too much if I have to choose low-key activities? Normally, we'd go hiking, biking, etc., but those things would be off the table for this trip.

Better to cancel and try again next year? Or go ahead this year, knowing we won't be as active as we normally are?

Thanks.

Amy

Edited by ohhbother

Hi all.

My husband and I are booked on the Eclipse for eight nights in Norway in late August/early September. Unfortunately, I've injured my Achilles tendon and will be undergoing surgery to reconstruct it one week from today.

My doctor says I "should" be OK by cruise time, so long as I don't plan strenuous excursions. My questions are this. Has anyone ever cruised three months after Achilles surgery? How were the pain and swelling? And, for those of you have done a Norway cruise, will I miss out on too much if I have to choose low-key activities? Normally, we'd go hiking, biking, etc., but those things would be off the table for this trip.

Better to cancel and try again next year? Or go ahead this year, knowing we won't be as active as we normally are?

Thanks.

Amy

Amy, I have been through the operation that you described. After 3 months the swelling and the pain were not too bad. Of course pain killers helped with that. If you are not taking anything for pain at that time, it could be a problem. My swelling at that point was not bad. If you really need activity levels to be high to enjoy your excursions or even the cruise, then I wouldn't recommend that you go this year. You will not feel like doing anything that puts pressure on your ankle. You may want to speak to your physical therapist. After 3 months I was doing extensive physical therapy to increase range of motion. At times this was quite painful. If you speak to your physical therapist and describe the things that you want to do on the cruise he/she may be able to let you know if you can reasonably expect to do them. I should let you know that I was 40 years old when I had my surgery. My 25 year old cousin just had the same surgery and recovered much faster than I did. I don't know your age, but it surely has a lot to do with recovery time.

Good luck, Jerry of Jerry and Lady Kathryn