Single rooms or supplements - ideas needed

SeaSickGill

Please help, I'm not sure where to start!

Planning a cruise in September 2015 for a 'big birthday' and 30th wedding anniversary. My daughter would like to come but doesn't want to share as she'll be 27!

Would we be best booking somewhere now and no doubt pay top price or would we be better hanging on til nearer the time and getting a lower price on the holiday overall ( I know that cruise prices can plummet) it's just a thought. Just wondered if anyone had any thoughts on this as I haven't a clue😳 I'm not sure what the supplement rate would be. I know the Azura has single rooms but presumably they sell out immediately (plus I hated the Azura!)

A third party sharing a cabin costs about 5%-20% of the price of a single, depending which cruise. Even at 27, it's a lot of money just because she doesn't want to be in the same room while you're asleep. You never need to be all awake and in the cabin at the same time - it can be used purely for getting dressed and sleeping.

You could always work out the cost for 3 in a cabin, compared with a double and a single, and ask your daughter if she can afford the difference!

(I'm 49, my brother is 54, and we still share with our mother. It isn't a problem at all.)

Either way, book early. Both single cabins and cabins for three have limited availability.

Edited by dsrdsrdsr

It depends on the ship too - the three newest ones have many more single cabins, whereas Aurora and Oriana only have two apiece and getting those is a nightmare, although I have been lucky twice. Normal single supps are anywhere between 50% - 90%. P&O have started to allow solos to book late getaway fares but at 100% supplement. But also bear in mind that late deals are not guaranteed, you are unlikely to get cabins near each other (if that is what you want) and you can't choose dinner sittings.

Also P&O are starting to have fares more in line with airlines - ie. the later you book, the more expensive it gets, until the very last moment.

So - you need to decide what is most important to you really.