Denali NP: What's between Mile 53 and Mile 66?

paylady

I actually have two questions for all you Denali NP experts out there:

Many posts on this board recommend the shuttle bus vs. the TWT. I've read on some posts that the view of the mountain, assuming it's out, is better after mile 53 but before Eielson. What exactly is between Mile 53 and Mile 66 that makes it a vastly superior experience to the TWT?

Also, DH is 6'1" and really doesn't like to be cramped between close seats. Is there any difference between the seat spacing on the TWT and the shuttles?

I've checked our itinerary and it appears we would have time for either of these two options. Both would be the last tour of the afternoon.

I'm no expert but here's some info I've learned over the years. The Denali web site used to have a graph that showed the locations of various wildllife along the park road. Prime bear viewing started just before Polychrome Pass around mile 40 and continued to mile 60. So, the more time you spend along the road in a prime viewing area, the more opportunity there is for sightings. So those extra 7-8 miles provide more opportunity to see bears. Having said that ... they are wild animals so they'll be where they want to be. There were several trip reports last yr where people had to stay inside the Eielson Visitor Center or on the bus due to a bear in the parking lot.

As for the seating .... they started to change out the school buses 2 yrs ago. I don't know if they've all been replaced or not. Perhaps call the park and ask ?

I'm only 5'7" so it's not a problem for me. Get to WAC a little early so you can choose your seat ... you don't want to get stuck with a hump seat ( on either bus). Both the tour and shuttle buses stop every 90 minutes at a rest area for a 10-15 minute potty break so he'll have a chance to get out and stretch.

Try this website: http://www.alaska.org/guide/denali-park-road for a Denali Park Road Guide.

The TWT cuts visitors short of some of the best areas for chances of wildlife viewing. Highway Pass, and Thorofare Pass are great areas for spotting grizzlies and Stony Hill (often visited by the TWT later in the season) has a fantastic view of the mountain when the weather is good.

One place the TWT doesn't go is the relatively new Eielson Visitor Center which is 33 miles from Mt. McKinley. The facility has excellent facilities, a few trails, daily ranger presentations and a great view of the mountain. It's a great turnaround spot if you don't want to go into the Wonder Lake area.

I've always felt the TWT denies visitors some of the prime viewing areas in the park. Of course, some people aren't exactly fond of the bus either which can be a bit of an endurance test. Overall, the seats are about the same (although they are better than they used to be) and you do get a stop about every 90 minutes. My personal observation is that the TWT busses tend to be more crowded/fuller than the park shuttles which depart more frequently.

Edited by Chenega

Thank you for that fantastic link! That will definitely help with our decision making.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

It's a good and useful website. I agree with your husband on the crowded buses. I'm 6'5" and a full bus for eight hours is an endurance test at times. Fortunately, the sights along the way make it worthwhile and a trip into Denali is one of the great experiences of Alaska.

Wife and I have usually had great luck with shuttle buses that aren't completely full. We like to head for the far back seats which provides an extra window out the rear of the bus. The last few times we've each had our own row for stretching out. The trick has been not to take the first shuttles of the morning but opt for those between 8-9am. We still see lots of wildlife and, with luck, the mountain is visible.

I feel sorry for folks on the TWT vehicles that are often completely packed. Can't be a pleasant experience.