Getting ready to pack...

Doerthoch

Leaving next week and starting to get things organized.

I don't know how anyone can get everything into (1) suite case and not go over weight

I think I'm going to have trouble with a 29 inch and a carry on :o

I'm thinking maybe I have too much, shoes alone I have 6..:D

Getting excited...

Exciting isn't it!;)........we did a 14-day Voyage of the Glaciers cruise on the Sapphire Princess up to Whittier and back out of Vancouver.....our luggage was jammed for two of us but only had one piece over weight at 72lbs.......not going to do that again, took more clothes than we ended up using.......most cruise line ships have self-serve laundry which can help cut down on taking too many clothes.

Have a great time:)

We're going later in the summer and I told my husband that I'm bring a carry-on and a backpack. He says that is never going to happen.

It so hard to decide which shoes to bring.

We are going to Alaska in July and DH and I will each have a carry-on plus a "camera bag" cause it holds more than a purse!;) Then, we decided to pay Delta's fee and check 1 garment bag to share, which will contain our casual dinner clothes. When we begin the tour, we can then leave the garment bag on the bus, which will be transferred to the ship on the last day of the tour. Sounds pretty easy, I think.:rolleyes: Dinner clothes are packed but will wait until the week we leave to make a last-minute weather check to decide what layers to take!:cool: That's my plan and I hope to stick to it!

I understand your frustration with packing. I think I'm also bringing 6 pairs of shoes and I thought I was doing great. I'm of a different mindset than lots of people on this board as my family pack EVERYTHING we might want to bring. We are traveling for 16 days to include 7 days inland, cruise and 2 days in Vancouver. I tend to always be cold, but I hear Alaska is getting quite warm. So, we are checking a suitcase each and then bringing a carry-on each plus a bag with electronics and my purse. We will try to pack the first few days clothes in one bag so that we don't have to get into both suitcases every day.

I don't know about you, but I wear different things most days (although I have my favorites) and I'll want to do the same thing on a cruise. Yes, I will wash and wear something again later in the trip, but I like to have lots of choices. My mood changes and with that, my choice in clothing does as well!

So, for tops alone, I have 4 short sleeve, 6 long sleeve (2 can roll up), 2 sweaters and 2 dressier blouses. This doesn't include 2 t-shirts for exercise and 2 long sleeve t-shirts that can be worn under clothes for warmth.

My family will never get the prize for packing light!!

I understand your frustration with packing. I think I'm also bringing 6 pairs of shoes and I thought I was doing great. I'm of a different mindset than lots of people on this board as my family pack EVERYTHING we might want to bring. We are traveling for 16 days to include 7 days inland, cruise and 2 days in Vancouver. I tend to always be cold, but I hear Alaska is getting quite warm. So, we are checking a suitcase each and then bringing a carry-on each plus a bag with electronics and my purse. We will try to pack the first few days clothes in one bag so that we don't have to get into both suitcases every day.

I don't know about you, but I wear different things most days (although I have my favorites) and I'll want to do the same thing on a cruise. Yes, I will wash and wear something again later in the trip, but I like to have lots of choices. My mood changes and with that, my choice in clothing does as well!

So, for tops alone, I have 4 short sleeve, 6 long sleeve (2 can roll up), 2 sweaters and 2 dressier blouses. This doesn't include 2 t-shirts for exercise and 2 long sleeve t-shirts that can be worn under clothes for warmth.

My family will never get the prize for packing light!!

We'll be bringing 2- 29 inch suite cases and a carry on.

Right before we leave I'll go over everything and decide if I really need it.

The formal night clothes is killing us... Jackets, shoes, sweatshirts it's a lot of stuff.... LOL:rolleyes:

We'll be bringing 2- 29 inch suite cases and a carry on.

Right before we leave I'll go over everything and decide if I really need it.

The formal night clothes is killing us... Jackets, shoes, sweatshirts it's a lot of stuff.... LOL:rolleyes:

We have decided to forgo formal and just go dressy. For the women, that is 1 pair of slacks with 2 different shirts and 1 pair of dressier shoes. For the men it is 1 paif of slacks and 2 different shirts. I don't even think they are doing ties this time. We did dressy vs. formal on our last 2 cruises and still weren't the most casual people there.

We have decided to forgo formal and just go dressy. For the women, that is 1 pair of slacks with 2 different shirts and 1 pair of dressier shoes. For the men it is 1 paif of slacks and 2 different shirts. I don't even think they are doing ties this time. We did dressy vs. formal on our last 2 cruises and still weren't the most casual people there.

No formal for us either. Ken is not bringing a tie this trip only collar shirts and dress slacks.

See you on June 6th aboard the Radiance.

Leaving next week and starting to get things organized.

I don't know how anyone can get everything into (1) suite case and not go over weight

I think I'm going to have trouble with a 29 inch and a carry on :o

I'm thinking maybe I have too much, shoes alone I have 6..:D

Getting excited...

Six pairs of shoes is not necessary. You will only need sneakers/walking shoes, one pair of flats and one dressy pair. Get smart!

Six pairs of shoes is not necessary. You will only need sneakers/walking shoes, one pair of flats and one dressy pair. Get smart!

Maybe you only need 3 pair, but I understand needing 6. I'm bringing brown flats, black flats, black dressy, brown sandals, sneakers and hiking shoes. That is as simply as my mind could take! :)

How about one pair of dressy flats can be worn as business casual or dressy), one pair of walking oxfords (they have a thicker sole that what my waterproof tennies), one pair of waterproof tennies - Clarks) and one pair of loafers to wear while traveling (Easy on/Easy off). A 14 day Land/Sea cruise has a lot of traveling (bus, train and plane) and loafers also allow for swelling from sitting to long. All same color and all coordinate with the clothes I am taking

Okie

How about one pair of dressy flats can be worn as business casual or dressy), one pair of walking oxfords (they have a thicker sole that what my waterproof tennies), one pair of waterproof tennies - Clarks) and one pair of loafers to wear while traveling (Easy on/Easy off). A 14 day Land/Sea cruise has a lot of traveling (bus, train and plane) and loafers also allow for swelling from sitting to long. All same color and all coordinate with the clothes I am taking

Okie

I usually do 4 pairs - 2 sneakers/walking shoes, 2 dressier. And a few pairs of flip flops which don't count, right? ;)

So far I have my running sneakers,walking gortex shoes, black dressy, beige dressy, brown flats, regular sneakers and flip flop type shoes/sandals.

I hate to travel and not have something that I want.. As long as I don't go over 50 pounds I'm happy...:). DH is worse then me.

I think I'm going to go just dressy, on formal night, slacks and a nice blouse .We are in Aqua class and I have heard on this board that you don't have to dress formal in Blu but most people get more dressed then usual.

DH will bring his sports jacket. I think....LOL

I will have 4 pairs of shoes:

My waterproof Hiking boots (these will be worn on the plane)

My running/walking shoes

Black Dress Shoes (black goes with almost anything)

Easy to Slip on Night shoes since most of my post cruise land lodging is in several B&B style housing where bath is on the hall. - Probably flip flops or my crocs

Edited by tlcoke

The shoes are the problem in my packing. I've narrowed it down to four pairs.

Waterproof hiking (wearing these on the plane)

Running shoes (for workouts and of course running:D)

Athletic sandals (for the pool and the chance of a really warm day)

Black dress shoes (will be doing the dressy vs formal)

I have two pairs of the convertible zip off pants and a couple pair of pants that look like dress pants if paired with a dressy shirt or casual if paired with a t-shirt.

I've decided to bring one skirt and just change out the tops maybe change the look with a scarf or jewelry.

Again my husband thinks my carry-on and a backpack is never going to happen but I've had a year to plan this out so I think it will work.

Edited by Kimahri