Alaska Balcony tips

Cymraes

I loved my Alaska Cruise with Princess. In the spirit of " if I knew then what I know now" I would have chosen a different balcony cabin. Part of the joy of the whole experience was watching the wildlife and we saw sea otters and whales. Great though that was we had a balcony very high up in the ship and, bearing in mind the size of these cruise ships the sea below was a long way down. For me, next time I would be lower down. I heard fellow passengers whose balcony cabins were lower down whose views of the wildlife were spectacular. From the lower deck I had a fabulous view of a bald eagle sitting on a tiny piece of chipped off iceberg. I was so exited I forgot to focus my camera - I could still weep.

I loved my Alaska Cruise with Princess. In the spirit of " if I knew then what I know now" I would have chosen a different balcony cabin. Part of the joy of the whole experience was watching the wildlife and we saw sea otters and whales. Great though that was we had a balcony very high up in the ship and, bearing in mind the size of these cruise ships the sea below was a long way down. For me, next time I would be lower down. I heard fellow passengers whose balcony cabins were lower down whose views of the wildlife were spectacular. From the lower deck I had a fabulous view of a bald eagle sitting on a tiny piece of chipped off iceberg. I was so exited I forgot to focus my camera - I could still weep.

This is good information. Thanks for the tip about cabin location. I'm sorry to hear about your missed photo opportunity! That is very sad indeed!

It's always best to get off your balcony, no matter which deck you're on, and roam about the ship! Everything looks different from different areas. Go to the lowest open deck for closeup views....upper decks for panoramic views.....and things do look different from the bow and stern. While sightseeing on the ship, you must MOVE!!! If you sit on your balcony, you will miss about 3/4 of everything!

we considered the weather, or rather the lack of being able to predict the weather when cruising in Alaska, we have made sure our balcony has a overhead so that we could use it in inclement weather..also we chose aft balcony's because we had several at sea days and the aft balcony's are almost wind free while underway.

Next cruise to Alaska is July 2015, on the Golden Princess r/t San Francisco..going under the Golden Gate Bridge is right up there with sailaway on the Grand Canal out of Venice..we chose an aft suite so that we could be on our balcony wind free and enjoy the scenic views.

Edited by Michael Kays