Mykonos - Any 2014 experience with St. Johns Resort

lovestx

Still haven't booked the St. John's resort for our June cruise. I'm a bit concerned it will be too chilly to swim or hang out at the pool and the 70 Euros price is tough to swallow.

Just wondering if anyone has visited yet this year and what your experience there was like.

Thanks!

I know this doesn't answer you actual question but here's a link with anticipated temperatures (and in tiny writing, historical averages) for Mykonos in June.

http://www.accuweather.com/en/gr/mykonos/182761/june-weather/182761

Thanks, MissBreezy. Does give us a sense of the temps. Still waiting to pull the trigger on St. Johns.

We went to St. John's resort last September (2013). We thought the price sounded steep, but it was worth every penny. This is an upscale place and I suspect they really limit the number of cruise ship passengers that they allow to visit. They picked us up at the dock, we checked in at the front desk, and then went to breakfast. I think the package at the time was a choice of breakfast and lunch OR lunch and a massage. There was a huge breakfast buffet and the food was fantastic. We then went down to the beach (beautiful pool or beach), hung out there for several hours and had lunch.The food at lunch was traditional Greek fare but it was amazing...one of the simplest but most delicious and memorable meals ever. We had arranged for them to take us back to the ship at 2pm but we should have stayed longer. (You have to tell them your departure time in advance.) we dropped our bags at the ship and then wandered around town the rest of the day.

Not sure what the water temp will be but it should be warmer than New England! I assume you have looked at the resort website? It's a beautiful place and if we go back to Mykonos we would go there again if on a ship, or stay there if on a land based tour. I know the 70 euros sounds steep, but if factor in the transportation, quality of meals and facility as well as use of the facility it's actually a great deal.Happy to answer any other questions.

Still haven't booked the St. John's resort for our June cruise. I'm a bit concerned it will be too chilly to swim or hang out at the pool and the 70 Euros price is tough to swallow.

Just wondering if anyone has visited yet this year and what your experience there was like.

Thanks!

I felt the same hesitation but bit the bullet and just booked today. Look at it as a one of a kind experience. Was great to read "Herman the cat's" review just now!!! We'll be there on June 20th :)

Cheers

Where are you finding the day rates for St. John? I don't see anything on their website...???? Thanks!

Email them via Contact on their website. They will send you a reservation form as well as a menu form to choose your meals.

We were at the St John's resort last week, Friday May 30. We enjoyed it, but it definitely was cool. We wrapped up in the provided towels for part of the day, and the sea was too cold for swimming (at least for us.) Also, we were directed to a separate area that the staff said was for VIPs, but not sure I believe it --- it was away from the pools but it did overlook the sea. Make sure you allow plenty of time for the luncheon --- they bring you out large plates of several appetizers depending on which menus you order, we thought that was the main course until the entrees came out. Food was good and staff was friendly. We would probably do it again although maybe not so early in the season. Also, if your ship tenders, it is a bit of a walk to the transfer so be prepared.

We were at the St John's resort last week, Friday May 30. We enjoyed it, but it definitely was cool. We wrapped up in the provided towels for part of the day, and the sea was too cold for swimming (at least for us.) Also, we were directed to a separate area that the staff said was for VIPs, but not sure I believe it --- it was away from the pools but it did overlook the sea. Make sure you allow plenty of time for the luncheon --- they bring you out large plates of several appetizers depending on which menus you order, we thought that was the main course until the entrees came out. Food was good and staff was friendly. We would probably do it again although maybe not so early in the season. Also, if your ship tenders, it is a bit of a walk to the transfer so be prepared.

Thanks for circling back with this info cynbar. We depart tomorrow so I took the plunge and made a reservation last night. Think it might still be cool but we won't be there until June 18th so hopefully better. But we'll be sure to be prepared.

How was the breakfast? And sorry to hear that we may be set off to the side away from the pool but maybe we can move.

I doubt we will tender as we are on a big ship (Silhouette).

Thanks for circling back with this info cynbar. We depart tomorrow so I took the plunge and made a reservation last night. Think it might still be cool but we won't be there until June 18th so hopefully better. But we'll be sure to be prepared.

I doubt we will tender as we are on a big ship (Silhouette).

We hope you have a wonderful vacation and hope you come back to share your experience with us.

The breakfast buffet was extensive and very good, pretty much the usual things you would see on an American buffet --- sausage and bacon, waffles, pre made scrambled eggs, omelets made to order, fruits and breads, juices, coffee and tea. We didn't eat a lot however because we knew we had a big lunch ahead of us. Make sure to allow plenty of time for lunch, I'd say about an hour and a half. It really is quite a production, with multiple appetizers brought to the table, then the entrees and then dessert. Too much food but we enjoyed trying everything.

Would you mind commenting on the menu that you chose for lunch? Were there any dishes that you would highly recommend?

Sent from my SGH-T699 using Forums mobile app

We chose Menu 1 and Menu 2 so we would have a chance to try different things, and boy, did we! We loved all the appetizers ---- calamari, saganaki (fried cheese triangles), Greek salad, and Ceasar salad, and so on. The entrees we picked were fine but not extraordinary, I had a pasta with pesto and DH had a cheeseburger with fries. We didn't ask about wine and it wasn't mentioned although I seem to remember that 1 glass was included if desired. We were thirsty and they brought us a large bottle of mineral water to share. There was so much food that we didn't order any dessert, so be sure and pace yourself. The view from the restaurant is spectacular, prettiest I've seen anywhere. I should also add that we were offered free wi fi at the resort, we got poor reception outdoors but were able to get very good reception at a little sitting area outside of the restaurant. When you arrive, you will be asked to choose your departure time for the shuttle back to the ship, the restaurant will call for a golf cart to take you up the hill to reception (it's a pretty steep climb) but be sure and allow a few extra minutes for the cart to pick you up.

We had a great day at St. Johns Resort last week and our experience was similar to Cynbars. Here's our experience...

I booked in advance for two lunches and two massages (there were four of us). Asked them to pick us up at the Celebrity Silhouette at 8:45 a.m. with a 2:45 p.m. return. We were a couple of minutes late (hard to wake older teens up!) and found that we were holding up a mini bus full of people. Hope they were all booked for 8:45 as well. Probably had 18 people on the bus from the ship and I know there were four people who went at 8:15 a.m.

The trip to the resort was about 15 to 20 minutes and the reception area and views did not disappoint upon arrival. Took a bit to register everyone and then we were off to the pool area by tiny little golf cart truck. As others have said, there are many steps here so if you have mobility issues, I would ask if they can get you closer to the pool area by golf cart.

We staked out our sun beds upon arrival and had some good choices. The resort itself was pretty busy so I would not want to arrive much later as the hotel guests would have claimed the sunbeds. We then went for breakfast and it was extensive!! So many stations including an omelette station so we went to town. Had a lovely spot on the patio to eat together before lounging.

Hubby and I booked massages for 10:30 a.m. I had never had a massage before so we thought this would be a good chance to try it. Can't say that I am now in the "I love massages" camp but it was perfectly fine. Then returned to the pool.

The wifi reception at the pool is very spotty which was disappointing. Wish I had read the comment about where it worked better but we did fine.

We had lunch about 1 p.m. and were able to join our children at the table. My thinking was that there would be so much food they could share it with us or we could supplement their free lunches with a salad for us. We easily shared what they ordered and there was not issue with the friendly waiter about that. We also ordered beers for us (the kids' was included) which they charged extra for (of course). You don't actually get Menu 1 or Menu 2. But you must tell them that you are Day Pass people. They bring you a special menu then that includes all of the options on the Menus you see in advance and you pick your four courses. It was fresh and delicious!

We wanted to go into town before returning to the ship. The people at reception made a bigger deal about that than necessary. Our CC friends who wanted to do the same thing and had been to Mykonos before simply asked the driver when we got in if he would take us to "the Yacht Club" (which is on the port side of town). He readily agreed and off we went. You then walk back into Mykonos town from there (a bit of a walk but along the water so it's fine).

We spent about an hour walking around the town which is charming but crowded (there were three ships in port that day) and dirty. It wasn't my favorite spot on the cruise. If I had it to do over again, I would have simply stayed at the resort.

If you do go into town, I would recommend using the SeaBus back to the ship. It costs 2 Euros each and goes from the dock that is right near their Town Hall on the waterfront. You buy the tickets at a kiosk and the boat leaves every 30 minutes. Takes you right back to the ship quite quickly.

Hope that's helpful to future cruisers!

I don't often write reviews on cc but this one is worth a mention. We had a fantastic day. I'm not a beach person or a lie by the pool person but had previously done a resort in the caribbean and thought would give it a go. I thoroughly enjoyed it and am converted to doing more.

The price was 70euro which is high compared to the caribbean and did not include all drinks either but have to say we got value for money and would do it again.

We had booked by email direct with the resort, they responded quickly and gave us a booking form. Everything was done in english and you pay on arrival but note that you give them card details so if you fail to arrive, you will be charged - unless the ship does not arrive and there is no charge. There were menu choices but on the day the choice was much bigger and far too much food.

Kudos to the resort for keeping an eye on the schedules as we were supposed to tender in and docked and the ship only decided the day before so we were not where we were supposed to be but the hotel came to the ship to get us.

We booked for 8.30 pick up but don't be surprised that they fail to communicate that others have asked for later and are picking you all up at the same time. Better to ask 'what time are you doing pick ups'.

We arrived and the reception and surroundings were 5 star, beautiful but built into a hillside so many steps. We had to wait for everyone to check in, were given a welcome drink. We initially were going to sit by the pool but wondered down to the beach and it was perfect. No more than 30 beds in total, each with their own parasol and there was a bar server taking drinks orders. Recommend you take a large bottle of water with you. I sat and read my kindle and could see nobody else in my view.

You grab towels from the towel station by the pool and are not limited to one each.

The water was calm, clear and you could watch the fish swim round your feet without any need for a snorkel mask. As the ferry goes by half a mile away, there is suddenly a small swell but that is it and disappears almost immediately. You need to go down before 11am to get a bed down there.

For lunch there were at least 5 starters, main courses, sides and extras and deserts to select one from each - 1 starter and 1 main was enough. Service is cooked to order so give yourself time to get through it. We were given a litre of water and a choice of a beer, a glass of wine or a soda in addition, all included.

You are also asked to say what time you wish to leave, we said 3pm on the booking form but found on arrival that they told everyone that it was going at 4pm - as with others, we wanted to see the town. Put your foot down on this one as initially they said it would not be accommodated, suggested we paid an extra 15euro for a taxi, then agreed to take a group of us at 2.45 but would not take us to the town but would have to be taken to the ship which is 30 mins walk with no sidewalks.

A silly mistake really by the hotel, such a simple request in line with the booking form options that they were not going to accommodate - these little things are the ones that can put people off and like this get reported on a website.

We just asked the driver when onboard to go to the yacht club, which is the pick up point if you tendered and told him to stop when we got near the town centre. So it worked out fine.

Edited by Tiggertastic

• 2 weeks later...
Hi, has anyone brought children to St Johns Resort. Mine are 9 and 11 and I'm wondering would it be suitable? Thanks in advance.:)

My son was 8 and enjoyed the day, we did have to pay full price for him though, well worth it he loved the pool

We were there last week for the day pass. My daughter and I had the massages and my son and husband had lunch. Breakfast buffet was amazing and my family had nothing but positive comments about the lunch. The massages were 25 minutes and relaxing. The driver was about 30 minutes late and I had to call twice to make sure we had not missed him. Apparently he was delayed picking up people from the airport. We were on the Disney Magic and I believe it was the first time that ship had been to Mykonos. We were docked at the port and were a little confused about where to go to meet our driver. You just go right outside the gate and they will pick you up there. No need to go wandering around as we did. We were the only group on our ship going to the hotel. It was the last port on our 9 night cruise and was the perfect way to spend a relaxing day, no shopping, no ruins. We are from Florida so are used to warm water, but did manage to take a cool swim in the sea as well as the pool. My "kids" are 17 and 20 but I saw several younger children there as well. I would go again, but would be sure to clarify the pick up time and location again prior to leaving home.