Regatta - Cabin 4017 (C category)

mistik

Hi Mistik - I didn't want your posting to get dropped to the next page without a response, so here it is:

The cabin is near the stairs, which are carpetted metal, so you may hear some clattering on the days when the ship's gangway is on your deck (but on port days, you'll be up and about anyways, so it won't matter!). The rest of the time, you won't hear as much traffic, as passengers staying on deck 4 can either use the aft staircase or one of the two elevator banks. And as far as being beneath the public areas on Deck 5, you won't hear much foot traffic at all, as you'll be under the lightly utlilzed outdoor promenade.

Enjoy your cabin - it's a great room at a great price, and very short walk to the elevator - making afternoon teas in the Horizons Lounge very (too?) :) convenient for you, along with the spa and the computer lab. If you're sensitive to smoke, when you enter the lounge, use the right (starboard) door - the smoking area is immediately inside the left doorway.

• 3 weeks later...

Just got back from Princess' British Isles cruise; I was a bit underwhelmed with the cruiseline, so I truly hope Oceania will be better :-)

Thanks for the feedback on Regatta stateroom 4017.

I feel much better.

My cruise itinerary will be very port intensive, so I'm sure I'll be up and out early in the AM anyway.

Question though: How bad is the smoking ?

I am NOT a smoker, and the less smokers and smoking I encounter, the BETTER!

Smoking is not an issue. There are only two small areas where smoking is permitted. One on deck 9 in the corner of the pool area and the other on deck 10 in a corner of Horizon's lounge. We like you are non smokers and appreciate this policy very much

I grew up around second-hand smoke for the first 20 years of my life, and it's a relief to be on a cruise line that takes its policies seriously. Princess allows smoking from private balconies, and we would find smoke wafting in our balcony door if we left it open trying to catch some fresh sea air, and some mornings we'd wake up to find cigarette butts on our balcony (on the Grand class, the lower balconies jut out from the upper ones).

On my last Oceania cruise, I came back to my cabin one night to see crew members sniffing around the stateroom doors. Apparently one of the passengers reported a neighbor who was violating Oceania's smoking rules and the crew was trying to find the violator in the least obtrusive method possible (I suggested someone go up to the flying bridge and look aft for a small red glow).

Oceania contains its smokers to two small areas of the ship (the right rear of the Horizon Lounge and the right rear of the pool deck), which are easily avoidable by using the doors on the opposite side of the ship. I haven't noticed a significant number of smokers among the passengers - the Horizon Lounge section was frequently filled with more uniformed Oceania staff officers (Europeans) than cruisers!

Oops - my bad! I was referring to the location of the smoking areas when facing aft from the bow of the ship - they're actually both on the port side (or on the left when facing forward). Shame on me for failing to use the proper nautical terms - that would have eliminated any confusion!

Glad to hear about Oceania's smoking policy.

We were a bit dismayed by Princess' smoking policy. We did see smoking in the balconies, and kept our balcony door closed most of the time.

I even witnessed smoking in a hallway - the couple quickly walked off the opposite direction!

On a Costa Baltic cruise, it was even worse. People smoked just about everywhere (except Dining Room), and the staff did NOTHING.

So, hail Oceania!

On a positive note during the Princess British Isles cruise: We were pleased to learn there is NO smoking allowed in Dublin's pubs, bars and restaurants. We sure were smiling as we imbibed Guinness at one of Dublin's pubs...

As a former smoker of Export A's and filterless Camels and a current Rabid non-smoker, I'm shocked and pleased to hear about Dublin; I will definitely visit there; One of my favorite authors, Roddy Doyle, is from there.

As a former smoker of Export A's and filterless Camels and a current Rabid non-smoker, I'm shocked and pleased to hear about Dublin; I will definitely visit there; One of my favorite authors, Roddy Doyle, is from there.

Sandbag7,

How did you ever taste that Gourmet Cuisine smoking the brands that you did ?

SandBag7:

We were quite taken with Dublin.

We plan to return for a longer visit next time.

Amazing history, friendly locals, lovely scenery, etc.

I'm not a beer drinker, but the visit to Guinness factory's brewery and the stay atop their "Gravity Bar" -best views of the city + great ambiance- changed my opinion a bit :-)

So when came time for the pub crawl, I had to try a pint.

And the No-Smoking policy indoors, well, that was the icing on Dublin's cake.

mistik

Archived