Majahaul - getting there? Walking, golfcart, taxi?

Dr. Octagon

I know taking a taxi is probably easiest, but are you able to walk to Majahaul from Costa Maya? I know you can rent golf carts. How much? And, how long does it take to reach Majahaul in a golf cart? Thanks for any input.

[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=191970&cdt=2004;5;22;16;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img]
Carnival Glory 5/22 - Western

It's easy to walk there. There's a shell track that begins by the beachside pool and follows the coastline almost all the way into town. (On the outskirts of town, you will have to walk in the road a bit.) It should take you 30 - 40 minutes depending on your walking speed. We enjoyed being outdoors, soaking up some sun and seeing a bit of the countryside on our walk. I won't say it's the most scenic walk I've ever been on, but it was something most of the visitors to Costa Maya don't do.

• 2 weeks later...
Be careful along this path. I just got back from a cruise May 1st and on the stop at Costa Maya we saw 3 men dressed all in black and carrying guns on the path. It scared us off of walking it. I asked back at the cruise ship and they said they were for the tourists protection because a crew member from RCI had been mugged along that path. It just scared us to see all three of them together with the guns.

The story about a tourist being mugged is BS. The Men in Black are in the navy and they patrol the beaches looking for cocaine that sometimes gets washed ashore. When the drug runners are chased on the open seas they dump their cargo overboard and then with the currents it finds its way to shore. So no one need be afraid of the Men in Black.

Hello! I've read a lot of great inforamtion on this site. We are going to be in Costa Maya in June - looking for some suggestions on things to go or any must see places. We like to snorkel but plan to snorkel in Grand Cayman and Cozumel. Any other options for great things to do in this port?

• 1 month later...
[quote name='Karencruiser43']Just back from Costa Maya. My group went to the village of Majahaul and rented some quads. Great time. Had them for an hour and had a blast.[/QUOTE]

How old do you have to be for the quads and what is the co$t?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
We were in Mahahaul (sp?) in November, 2002. Talk about changes? I have been reading some of the recent posts. Their economy is on fire down there. The mayor should move to the USA and run for President. Talk about his acomplishments.
In November, 2002, there were probably half a dozen vendors selling cheap souvenirs on the main street of town. It sounds like catering to tourists in a major activity for the entire time. The shopping area at the pier was established but shopping in the small village was very hit or miss.
They were renting horses (for riding :rolleyes: ) for $20 per hour then. Now they have expanded to renting golf carts.
The only beach activity was a dog that would fetch anything that you would throw out onto the beach. He carried a tip bag, wore sunglasses and a bandana. I guess you can now get massages and hairbraiding.
Coronas were $2.00 a bottle served on the one beach bar associated with the bar/restaurant across the street. You could also get chips/salsa. It looks like they now have full-service restaurants.
The town is now getting aid for education from the cruise ship passengers. Listening to our local school officials, that is better than they are able to do with the state and federal government. This comment is tongue in cheek. I admire people willing to spread good will by taking time to do good things for others.
I am really amazed at the progress that has been made. We might be going back there next spring on a Panama canal cruise from Galveston. .
Les

Archived