HAL Nieuw Amsterdam or Celebrity Silhoutte

wilson83

Planning on taking the Mediterranean cruise. Both these ships offer similar itineraries. I can't decide which one to take.

In terms of pricing, HAL is having a good promo for the Verandah, and it's going for around $1500 per pax + tax for 12 nights. Celebrity is going for about $200 - $500 more depending on date of departure.

I'm not a person who sticks with one cruise liner, I've had great experiences with RCI, HAL, Celebrity, but also had some bad ones.

For eg, Voyager of the Seas was really bad, bad service, waiter was rude, stinky hallway, food at main dining was horrible. But was very happy with Independence of the Seas. When I was on Prinsendam, I experienced the best services possible and best food I could ever imagine, but that ship looked very old. Rotterdam had very bad food on it, but service was pretty good. Celebrity Galaxy was a long time ago, all I could remember was that I had a great time, and that ship was pretty new, food was good.

I wouldn't not avoid a particular cruise liner due to one bad ship. Although I wouldn't want to ever get on a Carnival, NCL, and Star Cruises ever in my life. I've tried those only once and none were my cup of tea.

But I really can't decide which one of these two to get on to.

Please advise.

Edited by wilson83

We did 24 days in the Med on Nieuw Amsterdam, and the next year did 12days in the Med on Silhouette. Either is good, but we liked Silhouette better. Probably because we had great table mates. EM

That's a hard one. Nieuw Amsterdam is an amazing and beautiful ship and it has Tamarind. So I would say go with that one.

But I just came off Solstice which absolutely blew my mind and the only things that were kind of a bummer were that Solstice didn't have some minor adjustments that were worked in by the time they built Silhouette (Lawn Club Grill, Qsine)... but knowing what the Solstice Class can offer I would say pick that one...

I'm torn on this one, but I'm certain you'll have a magnificent time on either!

have been on both - Nieuw Amsterdam in the Caribbean - Silhouette for Eastern Med/Adriatic.

Silhouette was a little too large for my liking - although we had a great cruise. Food was good - Silhouette was noisy with the loud music blaring up from the Atrium - hard to have conversation at the bar area..

Entertainment was equal - I say go with pricing/itinerary to make the decision.

Carol

How's entertainment and activities on both ships? My wife and I are in the early 30's, we do tend to stay up a little later, till around 11-12 midnight. We like to participate in group activities during the day, especially on sea days.

For those who have experienced both ships, how's the main theatres ? Do we need to show up 30-45 minutes before show begins in order to get decent seats ?

That's what happened when I was in Independence of the Seas. If I arrive less than 30 minutes before show, we'd have to sit at seats with obstructed views, otherwise my wife and I were forced to sit separately. or on the upper deck.