another question-transportation

curiousjly

I have another question, well, really two or more :D

I figure we can get a taxi from the airport to the hotel, and from the hotel to the cruise port, but am not sure of the prices, and when the ship returns, are there cabs waiting to pick up and take to airport? The ship is due back in at 8:00, and we have a flight out at 7:00.

So, can we get a cab to airport and what would be the procedure about luggage? I am hoping that we can take it to the baggage area and turn it in, and they will keep it to load on planes.

Does the airport have a resturant? Or would we have to go elsewhere?

We will be flying in and out on two different planes, my daughter is coming from another state than I am. It has worked out that we arrive just 5 minutes apart, and will leave to head back home just 15 minutes apart.

When you get at the cruise port, is there anyone to help with luggage, I have physical/mobility problems, can walk only short distances, and can not lift, so are there porter or such that I can get to help take luggage from cab to cruise port? And what would be the cost of such help? And the return, same questions, procedure getting luggage from port to cab?

Thanks,

Jly

Will be flying in on the 11th of Nov, saying over one night, will be on the Enchantment on the 12 till the 17th. Double checked the flight, it is 5:00 p.m. Ship docks at 8:00 a.m.

With Delta Airlines, I have mobility problems, my daughter will be with me.

The airlines suggested Ramada Inn Cruiseport, and we made reservations, am seriously thinking of changing it.

They have a suttle from airport to hotel, from hotel to port.

If/When we change, I am not sure yet where to, so we may have to get a cab to take us to hotel from airport, from hotel to cruiseport, and then, when we return, from cruiseport to airport. What would the cab cost be, does anyone know, just a ballpark figure is all I need.

Will the cab driver help with luggage, are there porters to help? I have no problem with tipping, but do need to know if there is help. :confused:

If anyone knows of a good hotel, around $100, would appreciate suggestion. It will cost me $25 to cancel, but if hotel is that bad, I will grudging :D lose the money.

Thanks,

Jly

Everything in Ft. Lauderdale is very close by. A cab ride is never more than $10 - $15.

Have you ever tried priceline for a hotel before? I have gotten the Marriott Hotel and Marina, downtown Ft. Lauderdale through priceline for $75 last March. This is a great hotel. The cab fare here is $13 plus tip and they have a free shuttle to the pier the next day.

If you want to give priceline a try, go to http://www.biddingfortravel.com and http://www.biddingforfun.com both sites are a wealth of information. I like to bid 3* downtown Ft. Lauderdale. I am looking for a hotel room for my pre-cruise in February. I have been bidding, but have been rejected, probably just a bit too early right now.

Please let me know if you would like to give priceline a try, I can help point you in the right direction.

I have heard bad thing about the Ramada Inn at the airport, not sure if that's your hotel or not. There are alot of nice hotels in Ft. Lauderdale.

Don't worry, I have always had plenty of help with my luggage, even when I truly didn't need it.

Yes, the cab drivers will load and unload your luggage. There are porters at the port, the cab driver will take the luggage out of the taxi and the porter will take it from there.

Cab fare from FLL to the far nicer and safer SE 17th Street hotels is about $10-12. Those hotels to Port Everglades is $5-10 depending on which part of the port your ship is docked. And less than $10 from Port Everglades to FLL, again, depending on which part of the port your ship is docked.

AmeriSuites is a popular budget hotel, WITH free shuttles from FLL and to Port Everglades... http://amerisuites.com/reservations/locationdetail.asp?facid=3929

Many people however use either Priceline (2.5-star "downtown"), or Valuetrips to book it as those are far cheaper ($75-79 through Valuetrips in Nov.) than booking directly... http://www.valuetrips.com/AMS/FL/F17.htm

The nicest budget hotel is the Holiday Inn Express on SE 17th Street, also with a free shuttle (currently $96 for your date)... http://www.ichotelsgroup.com/h/d/ex/1/en/hd/fllcc

Both of those are much nicer, and in a SAFE area with many shops and restaurants that you can safely and easily walk to.

Thanks for the help

It will cost me $25 to cancel the room, but I think I will do so, I keep getting worried about the location, even though it is just for one night.

I did some looking at some of the web sites listed, and saw where I could bid and get amerisuite (sp?) for around $75, and a couple of others places at around $60-80. If I get a room even for $80, then when I add the $25 I lose for canceling, it will be add to the same price, so I break even.

Thanks again for the help, the shuttle had been the deciding factor for the Ramada Inn, plus the airline had recommended it, but I think I will cancel and get something safer. If it was hubby and me, I wouldn't worry, but with my daughter, she is slim, pretty and gets lots of looks. I always worry about her, even though she is 23.:)

Jly

AmeriSuites ALSO has a shuttle, both from the airport and to the port... If you use Priceline you can probably get it for around $60 or so, or if you use Valuetrips or one of the other discount sites it's $75 on weekdays, $79 on weekends.

I believe the airline "recommended" that other place because the check cleared ;)

Archived