R/T Seattle with Sitka

jormot

Northern Aurora is correct..we were on the NCL Pearl..when it docked there last week. The Carnival Miracle had to anchor south of town..and tender in.

And the only problem is that there's a good bit of road work being done between the center of town and the dock, so the buses don't run quite as smoothly as they might otherwise. But the buses hold a lot of people, so even if there's a long line for the buses, it seems to move quickly...! :)

And Cruizinator...I love that we were on the same cruise...! :)

Just a quick clarification: A dock able to handle cruise ships opened in Sitka about two or three years ago. It is located several miles north of the community. We docked there last fall on a cruise ship, and that particular line ran no-exra-charge shuttles from the dock to downtown.

I have been to Sitka three times on HAL and we have tendered each time. Since they have mid size ships the tendering is petty easy. If you have the Alaska App you can see the Westerdam tendered in port on Wednesdays. Checking port schedules it does look like some ships may dock. I'd probably prefer the tender. It takes you right into the center of town.

I glanced through all the posts, and didn't see where anyone mentioned the POTENTIAL for rougher seas on the sailing from Seattle. You are out in the OPEN PACIFIC waters for those first two days. If anyone tends to get seasick, it's not a great port to sail from.

I would definitely compare all sailings that include Sitka. Our first cruise, we flew to Anchorage and sailed Southbound to Vancouver in May with Sitka and Glacier Bay included. May was dreary and rained everyday except our Glacier Bay day, which had bright sunshine (and it was totally awesome). Sitka isn't as commercialized as the other ports due to the harbor being more difficult for the mega ships it has been able to retain it's quaint small town atmosphere.

Our second trip we did Vancouver Northbound to Skagway in August on a cruisetour to the Yukon and Interior Alaska (no glaciers this trip). We did have heavy rain in Juneau and a few nights of heavy rain, but overall felt the weather was better in August. Dawson City Yukon, Eagle Alaska, Chicken, and Tok were amazing small towns and DENALI of course was the icing on the cake.

I had booked HAL's 14 day cruise out of Seattle for this year, but had to cancel due to my husband having a stroke. I was so disappointed.

Only you know what you prefer. We can only tell you our choices and experiences. Have fun planning, then taking your cruise to Alaska. It is an AWESOME destination.

So sorry to hear about your husband's stroke. I hope he has a speedy and complete recovery. I have also done the Yukon trip and enjoyed reading your comments and good advice so I feel like we have that in common. We took the Amsterdam 14 day cruise the first year it was offered and upon getting off the ship I felt like I could do that one every year! It was so relaxing and easy to fly to Seattle. I'm hoping to go again next year, even though it is on the Statendam instead of the Amsterdam. I hope the prices will come down a bit. Maybe you'll be ready by then!

So sorry to hear about your husband's stroke. I hope he has a speedy and complete recovery. I have also done the Yukon trip and enjoyed reading your comments and good advice so I feel like we have that in common. We took the Amsterdam 14 day cruise the first year it was offered and upon getting off the ship I felt like I could do that one every year! It was so relaxing and easy to fly to Seattle. I'm hoping to go again next year, even though it is on the Statendam instead of the Amsterdam. I hope the prices will come down a bit. Maybe you'll be ready by then!

Thank you for your sympathy. Things are not progressing as well as I would like. I fear our traveling days are over. He has a hard time just getting around the house, I don't think flying/cruising/traveling are in our future.

I thank God we were able to do the traveling we have done before poor health issues reared their ugly head. The stroke at 71 sure surprised us (his father didn't start with them until in his 80's, passing at 89).

I continue to read and post on this board, living vicariously through others travels now.

I'm sure you will enjoy the Statendam just as much as the Amsterdam. Any "Dam" ship would look pretty darn good to me. Hope you continue to enjoy your travels.

I had booked HAL's 14 day cruise out of Seattle for this year, but had to cancel due to my husband having a stroke. I was so disappointed.

Eleanor, I am so sorry to hear about your husband and hope he continues to improve and you will be cruising again soon. Maybe something close to home :)

I have been wanting to do the 14 day Alaska trip so badly! Maybe in 2016 if I can find a cabin mate. It is hard to be away for 14 days though....

Take care!