Review of our day in Costa Maya

judyf

Costa Maya: I really enjoyed this port. One thing that was nice was the time arriving at the port, 11:00 a.m. It gave you time to take in the activities the evening before and not have to get up super early. This was the only port that we docked at and it was a pleasure! We walked right off the ship, no lines, no delays, it was nice. We looked around the pier area, the merchants here are real pushy. I did buy a bracelet for $10.00 that started off at I think $30.00. We saw some entertainers right in this area and there’s plenty of shops.

We found a horseback riding booth, I think the name of the one I found was Water Marina or something like that. I couldn’t find the one we were looking for Mayawal Tours. I got the price down to $40.00 pp no lunch included. This was fine with us, cause I wasn’t crazy about the Italian place that the other tour went to, I wanted to try the local food. We were giving a tour pass and directions to the cab, $3.00 going and $2.00 to return plus tip. We get right into a cab no problem and the worker with our tour company told the driver where we were going. We arrive in town and we show him our tour pass and he brings us back to a place where we saw horses. It was a really nice beach bar area. We pay and tipped the driver and he’s off, we walk in and show the women are tour passes and she tells us, I have horses but these are not my passes. Oh boy!! Now we need to walk back to the area where the cab should have dropped us off. It wasn’t really far but it was really hot and we were carrying bags filled with camcorders, cameras and snorkeling stuff. My mother at 66 didn’t like the walk but we made it. Our horseback ride was for 12:00 noon island time by the time the cab took us to the wrong location and we walked back it was about 12:10 when we arrived. We met Nina as we were instructed to and had a seat and waited. She told us to wait while she got a snorkel tour out, this is done and we are still waiting some people come and another snorkel tour goes out. We ended up missing the 12:00 tour and didn’t get out till about 1:30 p.m. I wish we knew this at first this way we could of shopped a little and looked around instead of just sitting there. The ride was 90 minutes and we went through town and along the beach. There were only 5 horses total. My mother ended up not going, I guess she got a little afraid of the horse. There was a family of 4 on 3 horses and a mother and daughter on one and me.There was 2 guides that walk the trail with us. It was lots of fun and I’m glad I did it and would do it again.

After the ride we walked down the road in town and went to Tarpus Bar on the beach. I got a chicken fajita and a margarita for I think $12.00 total, $7.00 for the fajita and $5.00 for the drink. We went over to the beach area and sat at a table with chairs. This was nice and relaxing. I went in the water and tried to snorkel, it wasn’t good in this area but the swimming was nice. We stayed till we gave ourselves just enough time to see the folklore show and return to the ship in time. We enjoyed the folklore show nice free entertainment. I did get a yard rainbow margarita on the way back to the ship and I was able to walk on the ship with it in my hand. Boy was it good!

great day and I can't wait to go back.

Judy
CCL Inspiration 4/4-4/11/04
NCL Sea 4/14-4/27/03
Wonder 5/16-5/19/02
Wonder 5/3-5/8/01
Fantasy 2/15-2/18/01

For my DH and I, the Mexican made hammocks were the best buy. $30 USD OR 300 pesos for so much skilled workmanship and such COMFORT!! If you've never tried one out-just ask to lie in one and see what I am talking about. We use ours in the states all the time. The locals sleep in them-the children swing and play in them-the babies are safely cradled in them. (For any gringos) to get into one, just straddle the closed hammock, then reach behind yourself with both hands and spread the hammock open and sit down; lean back, letting it support you and lift your legs up and into the hammock. If you dislike the U shape, put your feet at 2 o'clock and your head at 8 o'clock (Noon is straight ahead toward the end that is tied and 6 is behind you). By laying this way, the hammock will hold you absolutely FLAT! They are the greatest and pack easily in luggage.

• 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Archived