B2B cruise & customs

peanders

We will be doing the cruise to Bermuda out of Boston on Oct 31 and then the repositioning cruise to New Orleans immediately after. Will we have to go through customs when we return to Boston and if we do does that mean we will have to take our luggage off the ship?

This question gets asked often, and folks usually do not bother to mention the ship and ports like you did. And, they then get bad information because it does vary by port.

Since you are entering a U.S. port, you will do customs and immigration. Since you only went to Bermuda, it is rather low key compared to some cruises. You will not have to take your bags or stuff off with you.

You will be annoyed due to a delay that morning. At least one non-resident will ignore the repeated announcements for Mr. XXXXXX to report for immigration clearance. I am amazed that NCL has not figured out how to identify these people and insure they do what needs to be done. The continued announcements are often worthless because the person involved does not speak english, so they are clueless of the issue.

Anyways, once that is done, you can hang out on the ship, or you can spend some time in Boston which I would suggest.

This question gets asked often, and folks usually do not bother to mention the ship and ports like you did. And, they then get bad information because it does vary by port.

Since you are entering a U.S. port, you will do customs and immigration. Since you only went to Bermuda, it is rather low key compared to some cruises. You will not have to take your bags or stuff off with you.

You will be annoyed due to a delay that morning. At least one non-resident will ignore the repeated announcements for Mr. XXXXXX to report for immigration clearance. I am amazed that NCL has not figured out how to identify these people and insure they do what needs to be done. The continued announcements are often worthless because the person involved does not speak english, so they are clueless of the issue.

Anyways, once that is done, you can hang out on the ship, or you can spend some time in Boston which I would suggest.

It's not just NCL that has problems "herding the cats" (non-resident passengers), it's all lines. CBP will not clear the ship for embarkation until there is a "zero" passenger count onboard, so everyone has to get off the ship. Not sure about Boston, but there is generally a lounge or waiting area for those in transit, so you can get right back on first, if you so desire.

If you have the same cabin for both cruises, you don't even need to pack your stuff, just leave it in the cabin. If you have to change cabins, pack your stuff, and leave the suitcases in the cabin, and the crew will transfer them to your new cabin. They will give instructions on B2B procedures on the last night or so.

Edited by chengkp75

Thanks for the info, it is good to know we won't have to haul bags off with us. We have a cabin assignment for the Boston to New Orleans portion of the cruise, but we just booked the Bermuda cruise today, our room is balcony guarantee for that cruise. The rep I spoke with said they will try to see if we can keep the same cabin for both cruises, I hope so, saves wear and tear on us.

Thanks for the info, it is good to know we won't have to haul bags off with us. We have a cabin assignment for the Boston to New Orleans portion of the cruise, but we just booked the Bermuda cruise today, our room is balcony guarantee for that cruise. The rep I spoke with said they will try to see if we can keep the same cabin for both cruises, I hope so, saves wear and tear on us.

If the price changes such that you have the same category for both cruises, it sure if easier to get the same cabin. Watch the prices.

Changing rooms is not that bad. Lots of people say the staff will help you, but when we did it (twice now), we did it ourselves. Shove everything into the suitcase and wheel it away. It does help LOTS if that cabin is close by, and you move your hanger stuff still on the hangers. The last time we did that, our cabin was nearby, but a different steward. We met him the last day and made sure he knew about us so that cabin got cleaned as early as possible to allow our move. Those people left by 8am and we moved shortly after.

We just went through the Panama Canal to LA, and then stayed on up to Vancouver. Everyone had their forms filled out ahead of time, and customs and immigration set up in the theater where we all filed through and handed them our forms. They put little stickers on our room cards that showed we had been cleared and then we were free to leave the ship or not, as we wished. People getting off got the stickers and then went to hang out in the public area until their luggage tag color was called.

I'm going to change the topic just a little, while all of the experts are on hand. What is the procedure if you are on a combined intinerary? Is it the same as the B2B?

Yes, with the exception that you don't need to get a new keycard from guest services when the first leg is ending - otherwise everything is exactly the same.

Yes, with the exception that you don't need to get a new keycard from guest services when the first leg is ending - otherwise everything is exactly the same.

Make that.. you probably will not need to get a new keycard - LOL!

Edited by garycarla

Make that.. you probably will not need to get a new keycard - LOL!

Yeah, well anything is possible but I don't remember reading that anyone with combined itinerary would have gotten a keycard for only a partial cruise. When we did two of those, we received one keycard for the whole combined itinerary from the start.

So I could rephrase my answer so that unless the original keycard has a day in the middle of the whole tip as a disembarkation day, then one doesn't need to get a new one.

Edited by Demonyte

Like springssparrow, we just did a Panama Canal cruise, Miami to Vancouver. We were given key cards in Miami with the Vancouver disembarkation date on them so didn't have to do anything when we arrived in LA as far as our keys and stateroom went. We booked as one trip so had the same cabin the whole 21 days which simplified things as well.

As mentioned, we did not have to get off the ship in LA. We were given In Transit stickers and told to report to the theatre with our customs declaration cards and passports when the last and final call for all guests was made. It was nice because unlike earlier in the morning there was absolutely no lineup. We went in, handed our forms to the agent and as we were in transit he sent us on our way after looking at our passports briefly.

It was a breeze compared to some stories I'd read here.

As mentioned, we did not have to get off the ship in LA. We were given In Transit stickers and told to report to the theatre with our customs declaration cards and passports when the last and final call for all guests was made. It was nice because unlike earlier in the morning there was absolutely no lineup. We went in, handed our forms to the agent and as we were in transit he sent us on our way after looking at our passports briefly.

It was a breeze compared to some stories I'd read here.

Common sense in CBP's procedures - I just can't believe that! :D :D

We will be doing the cruise to Bermuda out of Boston on Oct 31 and then the repositioning cruise to New Orleans immediately after. Will we have to go through customs when we return to Boston and if we do does that mean we will have to take our luggage off the ship?

I just finished doing the opposite of what you will be doing.....I took the dawn from Tampa to Boston and then did the Bermuda cruise......the process is as follows.....If you will be changing cabins, all you have to do is make sure everything is packed the nite before and leave it in your room. The cabin steward, who will have all the information, will make sure it gets to your new room....If you keep the same room, you don't have to do anything.....As for getting off the ship.......US Immigration and customs require all passengers get off the ship even if you are doing a b2b.....the ship has to have a zero passenger count in order to be cleared.....this is U.S requirements and not NCL....As for the b2b passengers, you will go down to the service desk on the ship the morning of disembarkation and pick up your new key card for the boston to NOLA portion of the cruise, you will also be given a sticker to wear that says "In-transit". Once you leave the Ship, you can either spend some time in boston or you can go back into the terminal, skip the check-in line and take a seat in the section for the "In-Transit" passengers.....You will not be able to reboard the ship until it has been cleared which will be around 11:30...the good news is you will be one of the first passengers to get back on-board when ready.......All this info will be sent to your stateroom 2 nites before the end of your Bermuda portion of the trip.

I will also be on the Boston to NOLA cruise in Nov......I hope this info helps.

We just went through the Panama Canal to LA, and then stayed on up to Vancouver. Everyone had their forms filled out ahead of time, and customs and immigration set up in the theater where we all filed through and handed them our forms. They put little stickers on our room cards that showed we had been cleared and then we were free to leave the ship or not, as we wished. People getting off got the stickers and then went to hang out in the public area until their luggage tag color was called.

You could stay on the ship because you were in Vancouver CANADA. You were not in the USA. In the USA all passengers must disembark because the ship has to be zeroed down.