Is Princess charging room service fees fleet wide or only on the Regal?

4cats4me

Reading these boards is the first time I have heard that room service is not included in the auto tip. I presumed it was.

It is. I actually had this conversation with a steward on our last Princess cruise. The attendants that make the room service deliveries are included in the auto-tip pool.

Assuming you maintain your auto-tips, you should not feel obligated to tip as you would room service at a land hotel. That said many passengers (us included) tip extra for room service. Force of habit perhaps.

Hi There

Watched a programme on cruise wages

It said that crew had a contract minimum

This was made up of money from tip pool with the cruise line topping up to contract minimum

It did not name Princess but wonder if room stewards etc are on similar contracts if yes

They remove ing tips would cost the cruise line.

Yours Shogun

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Forums mobile app

No we would not! Most of us understand that when oil goes up so does the price of cruising as well as running your auto or our home. What a silly thing to say.

Silly??? I think it was simply reality.

A waiter was telling me about a british isles cruise.

2200 british pax on board. 1850 cancelled the tips.

This is one of the reasons princess went to the fleet gratutity pool.

There are many people who are itching for a reason to cancel the tips.

Arriving at the ship to find a fuel surcharge added to their folio would

be more than enough to set them off.

And, in general people do crazy things. Something goes wrong, and

they complain to the first person with a name tag that they see.

Shore excursion was horrible, so I told my waiter; etc.

It said that crew had a contract minimum

This was made up of money from tip pool with the cruise line topping up to contract minimum

This was my understanding as well. The fleet gratutity pool

eliminates the need for the company contribution.

I know the current dining contract does not specify any minimum,

only participation in the pool. (however, this might vary by country)

How quickly this thread fell off page 1. I guess it's a case of "Keep walking, folks. Nothing to see here."

I have to say this though, because I feel as strongly about it as others here apparently did when they complained about 1.) the new fees; and/or 2.) how they were implemented.

Princess was entirely within its right to implement these fees. It perturbs me, and I imagine that it has given some at Princess pause, too, that some of its loyal passengers would so quickly turn on them when it tries to implement new usage-based fees. We cruise Princess often enough and for long enough periods to know that policies change, and prices change, from one cruise to the next. We have never, and would never make a complaint about it. If Princess ceased to follow the Ts & Cs of its passage contract, I'd be the first in line to say so. But this situation was clearly different.

I think some people see Princess as a relationship in their life, and when Princess does something they don't like, it becomes a personal affront. We see Princess as exactly what it is - a corporation that exists only to make a profit for its shareholders. As a shareholder, I hope it continues to do so, for a long time in the future. As a realist, I hope we'll see these fees reappear somewhere soon; otherwise, Princess has no option but to degrade the cruise experience for all of us and I'm not looking forward to that.

You don't e mail Captain's Circle Members on May 20 that dining at Alfredo's is free and then step on board and be told the opposite. It's like going to an all-inclusive resort (already paid for) and be told that's not the case.

It's like the auto dealers we love to hate : bait and switch.

As a shareholder, also, most of us I believe feel that the onboard credit and dividends more than make up for the price. Figure out your return based on $100 dividends (100 shares) plus $100-250 on most cruises. Beats a savings account anyday. 3 seven days and you have a better than 10% return.

i think the biggest problems for CCL as a corporation the last couple of years have more to do with the Costa disasters than anything else.

Yes but that is why I quoted CCL's 10 year performance (which is very poor) and not just the last couple of years. The yield of CCL over the last 10 years is 19% vs. 70% for the SP500. The CCL yield includes the dividends and the stock appreciation (which is actually negative). Today CCL closed at $39.52. Ten years ago (on 5/28/2004) it closed at $42.61. There have been no splits and if it were not for the dividend the stock would have had a negative yield over 10 years!!! It hit a high of $58.12 on 12/29/2004 and look where it is now. Not very desirable. Of course just as I write this it could take off like a rocket... :rolleyes: