How is Grand Cayman?

We are considering canceling a 7 night Navigator of the Seas Eastern Caribbean cruise to do a Western 5 night cruise (on the Eastern we have seen everything on the Eastern cruise except San Juan. We have never been on a Western cruise). I noticed that the Western cruise has 2 ports Jamaca and the Grand Cayman (my husband cannot go into Mexico and this is the only Western we can do!). I know Jamaca is great to visit but what about the Grand Cayman?

Your help is really appreciated.

Thanks Minybear

I just love Grand Cayman. It is a very safe, clean island and there is so much to do! We did Stingray City and it was so much fun. If you go to the Ports of Call board and click on Grand Cayman you will find tons of information there as well. Have a great cruise!

Grand Cayman has plenty to offer from Captain Marvin's who does a great $40 half day Stingray City with 2 snorkel sites that are just amazing to see. Refreshments are given, showers, everything on a ship that is not crowded. Even feeding them & being educated on Stingrays.

Then the City of Hell, where you are greeted by the Devil himself & what a character this guy is. His store has everything a Devil would sell. They also have Turtle Farms and many millionaires' homes there too.

IMHO, Jamaica (Ocho Rios) was no big thrill to us, Montego Bay is much better port. Mexico (Costa Maya & Cozumel) was a waste of time with all the hasslles they offer. Taking videos, you must purchase a permit for $10 PP. Amazing that the party of the ship didn't tell us anything about this.

Something for you to consider - we've been on 2 western cruises that missed Grand Cayman. The first time the waters were too choppy to tender us to port and the second time the island was closed to ships due to hurricane Ivan.

No port is guaranteed, but Grand Cayman is missed more than some others.

But we are not giving up! Our next cruise is also a western with a scheduled stop in GC. Let's hope the 3rd time is the charm! ;)

I love the Caymans. Stingray City is a fun one. If you like to dive, there a fabulous dive spots throughout the Caymans. The turtle farm is fun and educational and it is neat to "visit' Hell. Have fun, that's a great itinerary.

Cayman Isles has the most beautiful ocean water in the world! And the rum cakes are the best! I am curious, why can't he go into mexico, is it different from other foreign countries?

My husband is in law enforcement and he was told not to go into Mexico due to this life may get in jeapordy :( (sorry I cannot explain more).

I just learned that ships at times due to the choppy waters cannot dock into port and when this does happen they typically go into a nearby Mexico port. So I am thinking about canceling this 5 day Western :( (I thought when I saw this cruse this was the only way we could do a Western cruise) and I think the best thing for my husband is if we go back to the caribbean again and this time try a new port San Juan

While you are the ones that ultimately have to make the decision, I believe that, more times than not, ships are able to tender to Grand Cayman, but it is something that can't be guaranteed. We were there in May and there were five large ships docked in the harbor. Downtown Georgetown was shoulder to shoulder with tourists and we only stayed a few minutes before turning around and catching a tender back to the ship. Going to a Mexican port, however, wouldn't require you or your husband to get off the ship if you didn't feel it would be safe. Sometimes being onboard when most of the passengers are onshore is a wonderful experience and you have the pool and other facilities almost entirely to yourself. However, with all of the eastern itineraries available, you should be able to find something that would take you to more new ports than just San Juan, so check on all your alternatives before you make your final decision.

My husband is in law enforcement and he was told not to go into Mexico due to this life may get in jeapordy :( (sorry I cannot explain more).

I just learned that ships at times due to the choppy waters cannot dock into port and when this does happen they typically go into a nearby Mexico port. So I am thinking about canceling this 5 day Western :( (I thought when I saw this cruse this was the only way we could do a Western cruise) and I think the best thing for my husband is if we go back to the caribbean again and this time try a new port San Juan

I will be going that route in Nov. Now I am really concerned! I am also Law Enforcement, 22 yrs. but I leave all of that Identification home since 911. Is there something I should be concerned about or is this isolated to your concerns only?

I will be going that route in Nov. Now I am really concerned! I am also Law Enforcement, 22 yrs. but I leave all of that Identification home since 911. Is there something I should be concerned about or is this isolated to your concerns only?

No. This is just an isolated incent. Nothing that concerns any other Law Enforcement personnel. You have to also realize we live near the border of Mexico.

It nice to meet other Law Enforcement personnel that is also gone over the 20 year mark:).

Going to a Mexican port, however, wouldn't require you or your husband to get off the ship if you didn't feel it would be safe. Sometimes being onboard when most of the passengers are onshore is a wonderful experience and you have the pool and other facilities almost entirely to yourself.

I have thought about that but I also realized that out of the 2 ports we have on this cruise there is only 1 port we may be going on. I didnt know if that was worth our $$. Knowing our luck we wouldnt get to go to any of these ports instead RCCL will take us to "Canada";).

However, with all of the eastern itineraries available, you should be able to find something that would take you to more new ports than just San Juan, so check on all your alternatives before you make your final decision.

Thanks I will take your advise.

Minybear

Archived