Chilkoot Trail Hike & Float Adventure

Sillyjilly

We did this last year in June. I thought the hike was tough, my husband thought it was a little harder than average. The first mile or so is on up and down terrain with lots of tree roots and rocks and the trail can be a bit narrow and slippery if it has been raining, which it probably has been. The guide we had, Joey, was incredibly helpful if you were a less experienced hiker, right down to telling you where to place your feet if you needed him to. I'm also afraid of heights, which probably contributed to me not liking this part since it is a dropoff on your left. The next mile is mostly a flat, well-maintained trail. It had beautiful views and I'd consider doing it again!

Early part of the trail:

S7300255.JPG

Side view of early part of the trail:

S7300248.JPG

Shot showing narrow part of trail - the dropoff is on the side:

S7300263.JPG

Steps - you actually go down these steps on the hike right where the trail flattens out, but we took a shot of my husband heading back up for some reason:

DSCN1442.JPG

Flat part - just about anyone who can walk could do this portion:

DSCN1459.JPG

View from the float trip:

DSCN1472.JPG

I did this excursion last June also and found it quite strenuous in parts, especially in the beginning as the above poster mentioned. Be aware, there were tons of mosquitoes but our guide had spray fortunately. I thought the float was too short but it was very smooth. I'm glad I did this excursion but probably would not do again.

Barb

Wow, that looks awesome! Do they stop and rest at times?

For a little bit, but not more than a few minutes. It was definitely worth it as the views were amazing, but if I did it again, I'd put in some more Stairmaster time and practice hiking on trails more like the first part and less like the second park! :)

Was this trip with Joe Ordonez, Rainbow Glacier Adventures ?http://joeordonez.com/

A long time resident of Haines recommended that I take a tour with him when I visit next summer. I'll be interested in your report if you go.

Was this trip with Joe Ordonez, Rainbow Glacier Adventures ?http://joeordonez.com/

A long time resident of Haines recommended that I take a tour with him when I visit next summer. I'll be interested in your report if you go.

No, it was with Chilkat Guides, LTD. http://www.chilkatguides.com/adventures/skagway-hike-float/

We're looking at doing a Rainbow Glacier trip this summer and will let you know if we do!

Thanks for posting this. His tours look fantastic!

I took this tour a couple of years ago and really enjoyed it. I didn't think the trail was too difficult but there was definitely uneven ground, roots and rocks to step over and between on some parts. The float down the river was relaxing and scenic - not rough. I would recommend Skagway Hike and Float.