Disembarking and Flying Out Same Day???

crashtlr

As a regular on the Cruise Air section and someone who is still undecided about how much I really like cruising, this is one thing that I just don't get. Why the heck are so many cruisers so anxious to end their vacations? It just seems like that sometimes...book such early flights (and I know sometimes it's money related, but not always) that they can't wait to get off the ship and get to the airport to go home. You don't see that as often with land-based vacationers.

Not at all anxious to go home. Just anxious to make our flights. I should say that first, we don't do this anymore. We stay at least one day post cruise, and second, we used to book all our flights through the cruiselines and you took what they gave you. Yes, I know they would give you plenty of time, but my idea of plenty of time was different than theirs.

Why the heck are so many cruisers so anxious to end their vacations?

I'd love to linger on the ship longer and relax, but there's a lot of subtle and not-so-subtle pressure to get off ASAP: the early arrival into port, the abridged breakfast hours (and locations), the lack of entertainment or any other options, the persistent announcements on the PA, the announcements in the newsletter... to quote Semisonic's "Closing Time", "You don't have to go home, but you can't stay here". And if I can't stay on the ship, I might as well adjust to the real world and go home.