Opinions on the kids program for grand princess

dimiegirl

Hello. Can anyone share their opinion about their experiences with the kids program. I am a bit nervous. How is the security and quality of the program? Do the children enjoy it? I am nervous leaving the kids with strangers but I don't want them to be bored as I see there is not much for kids to do with us. thanks so much for any help you can offer!:)

• 3 weeks later...

Please allow me to ease your mind. My children have literally grown up on Princess cruises and I can say without exception the Kids Programs have been safe, fun and engaging. The activities are age appropriate and the counselors are very good. The kids are safe and happy and you can take a pager if it makes you feel more secure. You can expect to sign your child in and out and be prepared to show photo ID. When my kids were in the younger groups I usually had them photocopy my DL and put it in the binder the first day so I didn't have to remember to bring it with me every time I picked them up.

And as to the comment that there is not much for the kids to do with parents that is not really the case. There is swimming and MUTS, family oriented games like Scavenger Hunts, Pictionary, Family Feud, Egg Drops, etc. There are movies in the theatre and shows that are generally family friendly like musicians or jugglers. And the production shows are generally family friendly as well. We have always done lots of various activities with our kids onboard. Fortunately, even now as teens they still seem to enjoy hanging out with us!

Edited by karatemom2

The security and quality of the kids programming is great. We've sailed with our kids ranging in age from 9 months-10 years anywhere from 10-28 days. (We gravitate toward longer cruises). We've only had them on the Grand class ships which have the dedicated kids centers. The only downside I can see compared to other lines is that some others offer infant/toddler care, while Princess does not. No matter. The babies stay with us and the 3 and ups have a blast in the kids center. My kids have never uttered the phrase "I'm bored" on a Princess ship.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

You didn't say the ages of your children nor what time of year you're planning on going.

The Grand Princess has a full kids' program if you're going during a time when there's plenty of kids on board, and will have many activities when they're aren't. Karatemom's family and mine were on the Golden Princess on a holiday cruising for two weeks in 2010/11. My girl was 13 then and officially in the teen group. She met some other girls her age the first night in the Remix center (for 13 to 17 year olds) and they "hanged" the whole time -- seeing many of the movies by the pool, going to the shows (the big production shows, the comedians, etc.). Many kids enjoy going to the trivia games.

On our last cruise, when our girl was 15, she even asked to come with us to some of the shows. Imagine that.:)

If you going on one of the Hawaiian cruises, there will be many Hawaiian activities that kids and adults will enjoy (my daughter took the ukelele class on the first of our three Hawaiian cruises; the kids enjoy making leis and taking hula, too).

The kids' staff are trained and often have degrees in recreational fields. During holiday times, many teachers get hired on -- they get a nice cruise while supplementing their income.

If you have young kids, you will need to sign them in and out. Even when my daughter was 8, I didn't give her sign-out privileges.