Any sugguestions on what to do in Costa Maya???

jessie073

Hello - My fiance and I will be on a Carnival Cruise in June which goes to Grand Cayman, Costa Maya, Cozumel and Belize. We are both active and enjoy outdoor activities. We found a lot of great information on things to do in the other Ports but have not found a lot for Costa Maya. Any suggestions... great places to snorkel or must see excursions? Thanks!!

Jessie, here is what is available._

The walk to Mahahual is approximately 20 minutes. You can get a ride to the town from the pier. The town is actually 3 miles long. The main "commercial centre" is where you get dropped off. I f you walk a short distance away from the town you will find other bars and restaurants. The town of Mahahual is very safe for all visitors, (contrary to the information given out on some of the cruise ships).

The Dive Centres in Mahahual are BLUE HA DIVING and BUCANERO DEL CARIBE and MAYA PALMS RESORT. All Dive operators offer resort courses. Blue Ha and Maya Palms are PADI centres and can be booked through Mayahual Tours at the cruiseship pier. Bucanero del Caribe (CMAS) can also be booked at the pier. The centres try to accommodate people’s wishes but the most important thing is to get the people back to the ship. Blue Ha has all Scubapro equipment, Maya Palms has a variety of top quality equipment and Bucanero has a variety of equipment.

Mahahual Village now has: - Snorkel tours, wave runners, fishing, parasailing, and horseback riding, Scuba Diving. 2 operators with booths at the pier are Mayahual Tours (3 booths) and Let's Go Snorkelling. These tour operators organise a trip to town for 5USD per person. The return trip is 2 USD per person with the local taxis. There are a lot of beach bars and restaurants in the area. Shopping for souvenirs is also possible at more moderate prices than offered at the Pier.

Parasailing is now being offered by MAYAHUAL TOURS who have 3 booths at the cruise ship pier.

The snorkel tour operators all have locker facilities for storing personal items of guests. There are three in the town, Mayahual Tours; (20:00USD per person. 1&1/2 hour trip) they have 3 booths at the cruise ship pier selling their trips. They will arrange transport for you or you can go directly into town and they have a stand on the beach just as you come into town. The other is Let's Go Snorkelling- their prices are the same and can arrange transport into town. By the way it costs 5 USD per person for the trip to town. Once in town you return by yellow cab and this will cost 2 USD per person. (Do not ask about this idiosyncrasy in prices). The third place for snorkelling is in the centre of the town (or we should really say Village). They are next door to the Taxis. Their prices are the same. Lifejackets are on board. There are golf carts for rent at the port of Costa Maya , (15 USD per hour, 45 USD per half day and 75 USD per full day). There is also Deep-sea fishing is on offer from Mayahual Tours.

As for eating and drinking there are few places worth mentioning: -

OXTANKHA serves the best Ceviche in town -- Ceviche is raw conch, prawns and sometimes Octopus marinated in Lime Juice. It is served with tomato and onion and taco chips.

TAPAS Bar, Italian Argentinean owners. Serve good food and drinks, they have a place on the beach with tables and chairs.

Another good recommendation is PEZ QUADRO. This is about 800 yards south of the town centre. Italian run. A beautiful beach bar with swing seats serving cocktails, beer, Italian and Mexican cuisine. There are others like, CAPTAIN MONO and El Delfin. Further down about 1 mile and a half from the town centre is the Casa Del Mar Beach Café. This offers pancakes, freshly baked German Bread and all day breakfast with freshly pressed orange juice.

In Mahahual there are a few restaurants offering excellent cuisine in the day and evenings. There is the Restaurant LUNA PLATA offering Italian pasta, pizza and meat dishes, run by Italians, Dario, Edzekiel, and Luca. The next restaurant next door is TIROVINO run by Chiara and Michael. They offer Thailand dishes and pasta. In the town centre is OXTANKHA offering Mexican dishes. There is also the TEQUILA BEACH, which offers various meals. Later in the evening is Music. On Cruise ship days these places are always open.

There are tours offered by the local taxis to Chachobben, Kohunlich, Bacalar, Chetumal.

There are now 4-wheeled ATVs for rent.

Nirogenaddict - thanks for all the great information - We are really looking forward to our trip!!!! Is the snorkeling very good from the beach at Mahahaul or should we really take one of the snorkel trips out to one of the better spots? We are going to be doing some snorkeling in Grand Cayman and also in Cozumel so I'm wondering if we should just relax at the beach and visit the little village while we're in Costa Maya.

[This message was edited by jessie073 on 05-11-04 at 08:53 AM.]

Also to keep in mind there is a beach right off the pier that is only for cruise ship passengers. There's chairs & hammocks on the beach. There's several pools to swim in, several bars (including a swim up bar), restaurants and shops. If you're busy running around in other ports, this would be a good place to do nothing and sit around all day. When we were there they also had several activities and shows going on in the immediate vicinity. Something to consider as well.

~*~ Disney Wonder 9/02 ~*~ RCCL Splendour of the Seas 4/04 ~*~

Jessie,

If you just want to relax then MAHAHUAL is the place to do it. It is very laid back and not pushy. The cruise ship pier is designed only for the passengers on the ships. Mahahual is one long beach. If you want to snorkel then my recommendation is a tour for an hour & a half as snorkelling on your own can be a little hazardous. There is a lot of boat traffic, wave runners etc in the area. After, you can relax at many of the beach bars, wander through the stands selling most of the souveniers etc. Most people who come into Mahahual enjoy their day out in a small rustic fishing village. The food and drinks are all safe.

nitro, the two italian owned bars that you mentioned, are they located in mahahual?.

im kind of confused about costa maya & mahahual, does costa maya have a beach too?.

angela

The good stuff is in Mahahual, the tourist "duty free" stuff is in the cruise line built port facilities at Costa Maya. They are 2 separate places.

You really need to see some photos to understand the difference.

Costa Maya and Mahahual photo gallery

The nice sandy beach is in Mahahual:

<center>25mahahual3.jpg27mahahual4.jpg </center>

Costa Maya has a rocky shore:

<center>03costamayabeach.jpg04ships.jpg </center>

<font color="FF6600">

if there's a way to construe my post as non-argumentative, please do so.</font>

Cruise photos on my Home page <font color="990066">

Spring Break was on the Grand Princess </font>21, March 2004

So when is the next cruise?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jessie073:

Great pictures - I think we might just go a beach/Mahahaul shopping day. How was the little town?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

In a word: "delightful"

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> How was the little town? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

What a great place to relax with $2 beers, some snacks and enjoy the friendly atmosphere!

We will be going on the Grand Princess with our 3 children under 6 yrs. The port is Majahual.

What area differnce is there between Costa Maya and Majahual?

Thanks for any info, I guess I could get the map out-just lazy icon_biggrin.gif

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff00ff&cdt=2005;03;05;16;0;00&timezone=GMT-0600

Grand Princess 3-5-2005

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by trvl911:

We will be going on the Grand Princess with our 3 children under 6 yrs. The port is Majahual.

What area differnce is there between Costa Maya and Majahual?

Thanks for any info, I guess I could get the map out-just lazy icon_biggrin.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

NO Actually, the port the Grand stops at IS Costa Maya. Mahahual is the fishing village about 2 miles south of the port. Take a taxi to Mahahual, it will be worth it for you to go there. Costa Maya doesn't have a sandy beach for little kids to play on.

<center>28kidsplay1.jpg </center>

If your kids are like mine, they will prefer the sandy beach at Mahahual to the crowded, rocky shore in Costa Maya.

<font color="FF6600">

• 3 weeks later...

could I get more info on the horseback riding. My SIL loves horseback riding and is very experienced while DH and I are not. Do they have horses, guides etc that can handle the inexperienced rider? how much, where, all the important stuff please.

Diane

Explorer of the Sea 12/5/04

Legend of the Sea 9/12/04

Voyager of the Sea 8/24/03

Sovereign of the Sea 07/01

• 2 weeks later...

posted 06-02-04 07:04 AM

"could I get more info on the horseback riding."

I'd like to know more about this port's horseback riding too. Do you get to ride on the beach?? in the water?? or is this a little trek through the jungle? How much? How long?

Thanks for any answers you can give, it's appreciated icon_smile.gif

left until cruise on Holiday

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800080&cdt=2004;07;17;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0600

The horse back riding is offered by 2 different tour groups. One you can book at the Mayawal Tours booth at the cruise ship port of Costa maya. This offers a trip of about an hour and a half. You go thru the town and then do some trips along the beach as well as Jungle. Afterwards is include a light lunch. This costs 55 USD. The other is a company in town who offerriding. They will take you along the beach road and also along the beach. This lasts about an hour as normally the people taking car of you have to walk as there are not always horses available for your guides.

Crocodile Douglas - Come and enjoy a piece of paradise.

Karen, could you tell me more exact infor on renting the quad bikes? where? name of the place? where these motorized or people driven? this sounds like fun!

Wendy

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=00ffff&cdt=2004;11;27;4;0;00&timezone=GMT-0600 until we sail the Grand!!!

Elation - 12/28/03

Celebration - 12/21/02

• 2 weeks later...

I'm looking forward to my first snorkeling experience at Majahual. I've read all the suggestions to have my own equipment rather than use the tour operators' stuff.

I have a very small head. I generally buy my hats in the little girls' department or have to "smallen" them if I get them from the ladies' department. Should I go for the Junior size snorkel gear? :confused: I was hoping to buy my gear on-line and found some that looks like good quality and good value for the price. Obviously buying on line wouldn't allow for trying on.

Any suggestions from those more experienced would be appreciated.

Thanks, --B :rolleyes:

Bonnie Cruiser

I too, have a smaller face than most and bought my own snorkel equipment at a local sporting goods store. They make mask that say "narrow" on them. Give it a try and see. Mine works great!

The good stuff is in Mahahual, the tourist "duty free" stuff is in the cruise line built port facilities at Costa Maya. They are 2 separate places.

You really need to see some photos to understand the difference.

Costa Maya and Mahahual photo gallery

The nice sandy beach is in Mahahual:

<center>25mahahual3.jpg27mahahual4.jpg </center>

Costa Maya has a rocky shore:

<center>03costamayabeach.jpg04ships.jpg </center>

<font color="FF6600">

Perfect pictures,

one pict.worth 1000 words

• 2 weeks later...

We have 2 scuba divers and 1 snorkeler in our group. I noticed that Blue Ha's site indicates that several beginner dive sites are suitable for snorkelers too... Anybody gone on a scuba/snorkeling tour??? Any recomendations or feedback?

Jammie

--------------

Until the Grand Princess Sails - 12/04

Archived