Cruise Air question

I know everyone says to book your own flight, but we are going on the Voyager on March 11 out of Miami and just booked it. I have not been able to find any flights cheaper than through RCCL, since it is Spring Break. Does anyone know how good they are about scheduling our flights to allow for delays. We will be flying from Oklahoma City, so will definitely have one stop. Would it be better to fly in a day earlier? Thanks

The main difference between booking your own air and going through the cruise line is that you choose your flights and times. With cruise air, you are at their mercy as to when you fly, be it early in the morning on the day of the cruise or midnight for the return flight.

We always fly in the day before. We are always much more relaxed for the cruise as we didn't worry about blizzards (we're in New England) or mechanical failure.

I know everyone says to book your own flight, but we are going on the Voyager on March 11 out of Miami and just booked it. I have not been able to find any flights cheaper than through RCCL, since it is Spring Break. Does anyone know how good they are about scheduling our flights to allow for delays. We will be flying from Oklahoma City, so will definitely have one stop. Would it be better to fly in a day earlier? Thanks

You CAN go through the cruiseline AND choose your own flights if you use their custom air department. You can even, and I heartily recommend that you do, fly in a day or two ahead of your sailing date. If you have already checked flight schedules, you should know and be able to request flights that best fit your schedule. Since you are talking about traveling during Spring Break, however, you might have a problem getting flights you want, whether you use RCI or not. RCI might even be using charter air in some instances. Your travel agent should be able to check with RCI and find out what air arrangements are usually available for the dates you want to travel. If you are at least platinum Crown and Anchor members they will waive the custom air fee.

You CAN go through the cruiseline AND choose your own flights if you use their custom air department. If you are at least platinum Crown and Anchor members they will waive the custom air fee.

Although they will waive the custom air fee (deviation), they will still charge you any extra in the price of the air. At peak times such as school vacations and holidays, the extra cost can be high.

Unless there is a special cruise line promotion going on, in most cases booking your own air is less expensive. Most TAs allow you to book cruiseline air and then remove it without penalty anytime up to final payment. Therefore, I would book RCL air and then monitor airfare. If it goes down (usually 3 to 4 months out), you can book it. Otherwise you can stay with cruise air.

Yes, it is better to fly in a day early, especially in the winter time.

Archived