Boarding in NYC

jp12687

Hey All,

I am leaving on the splendor this coming Wed from NYC. I have a question about boarding process.

They don't seem to offer FTTF in NYC. We would like to board quickly. We are planning on arriving around 11:30-11:45 for the start of boarding at 1. Do you think we will be towards the front of the line if we do that? Will our room be ready at 1pm when they start allowing people on?

let mek now your experiences from NYC

thanks

Hey All,

I am leaving on the splendor this coming Wed from NYC. I have a question about boarding process.

They don't seem to offer FTTF in NYC. We would like to board quickly. We are planning on arriving around 11:30-11:45 for the start of boarding at 1. Do you think we will be towards the front of the line if we do that? Will our room be ready at 1pm when they start allowing people on?

let mek now your experiences from NYC

thanks

I'm platinum with Carnival & don't need FTTF, but I know they've had it...my guess is that FTTF is sold out for your cruise. ;)

Anyhow...they will start boarding anywhere from 11:45 - 12:15, and the cabins will be ready around 1:30. They'll board (in this order) any wedding parties, diamond & platinum cruisers, FTTF cruisers...and then everyone else by zone...in the order that they arrived at the terminal. I don't think you'll be toward the front of the line, but I think you'll be OK.

Have a great cruise...the Splendor is a good ship!

...and then everyone else by zone...in the order that they arrived at the terminal.

Just to clarify for the OP... The portside personnel at the Manhattan Cruise Terminal will give you a plastic card with a number on it, such as 1 or 2 etc. This number is your zone - the order in which you arrived and the order in which you will board (if you are not in any of the special boarding categories listed by the previous poster).

The portside personnel (hostesses/hosts) were extremely helpful and patient when I cruised from Manhattan in 2012.

The view of the Manhattan skyline, Freedom Tower, Statue of Liberty, and Verrazano Bridge will be spectacular on your sailaway. (You are leaving at 4 PM. Even more spectacular at night!)

Arusha,

Thanks for the insight for watching the skyline as you sail out. Since most times the ship will leave during the late afternoon, the lights won't be on/visible. How about when the ship returns to port. Do you know what time this is so I could get up early and watch it drive up the channel? I have a cruise planned for Sept out of Manhattan.

Steve

Arusha,

Thanks for the insight for watching the skyline as you sail out. Since most times the ship will leave during the late afternoon, the lights won't be on/visible. How about when the ship returns to port. Do you know what time this is so I could get up early and watch it drive up the channel? I have a cruise planned for Sept out of Manhattan.

Steve

Check Cruisetimetables.com for the departure date-time/arrival date-time for your cruise out of the Manhattan Cruise Terminal.

http://www.cruisetimetables.com/cruises-from-new-york-city-new-york.html

Click on your departure date.

All ships departing from Manhattan on that date will be listed, along with their ports and times in each port.

Fo example, when I click on Sept. 1, a page appears listing the Carnival Splendor departing Manhattan at 16:00 (4 PM) and arriving back in Manhattan on Sept. 6 at 8 AM.

In my experience on this itinerary (not Splendor - we sailed on Legend and Miracle), we docked right around 7:00. If that's the case for your cruise, you'll sail under the Verazzano around 6 a.m. I would ask at the Purser's desk if they can get the timing for you.

Hi,

I've cruised several times out of Manhattan. As others have said, they usually begin boarding at 11:45-ish. So if you arrive a bit before that you can drop your checked luggage with the stevedore and bring your carryon through security, then check in and take your embarkation photo. There is usually water or lemonade available while you're waiting. Lots of chairs are set up, so you can sit down while you wait, at least. Unless they were delayed getting into port, you won't have to wait too long. The rooms usually aren't available until 1:30. We always just go up to the lido deck with our carry ons and have lunch. Then at 1:30 we go to our room and put away the carry on. Then we take the camera and "walk the ship until time for the drill. As others have said, the sail away is nice. I always miss the sail back in. I always seem to sleep through it. (Dang! We're already docked!) have a wonderful cruise!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Bumpkin and "my Lady" Arli :) Thanks for the thoughts on what to do. I do usually have my camera out taking pictures from the deck prior to and during embarkation. I am usually asleep upon return since FLL and PC are not much to see on the way back into port. However, for NYC, I am thinking to be awake as it nears the harbor. Should be a great photo-op as long as it is not raining.

Thanks for the thoughts of a nice cruise. It's been since Dec 2013 since we cruised last and just came back from Yosemite for a week... Am so looking forward to Sept. :)

Steve

We sailed on the Miracle out of NYC, and were at the port by 10:30am, and on the ship around 11:30. We spent some time out front waiting for family members to arrive, but the porters had already taken our bags. If you arrive early, the porters will take your bags, as the the returning cruise is still in the debarkation process. They will then direct you to the seating area, to wait until the embarkation counters are open. The time we got there we went right to the counter to check in, and only had a short wait.