New to booking MSC

Jenna1983

I just booked a September 2015 cruise on Divina out of Rome. I've only ever cruised Carnival and have never had an issue but since they made a decision to leave Europe for 2015 I chose MSC based on ports/price/cabins. I have a few questions and everything seems to be more directed of what I've read about the Caribbean sailings.

-How accommodating are the dining rooms for people with food allergies? (ie I am allergic to tomatoes/peppers)

-what things that other "mainstream" us based cruise lines do or include that would incur a nominal fee on MSC? Is there a charge for room service?

If you have Bella class, they charge you for room service.

Tomatoes and peppers are basic ingredients in the mediterranean / italian diet. I would ask and warn the waiter every single time before you choose a meal.

If you have Bella class, they charge you for room service.

Tomatoes and peppers are basic ingredients in the mediterranean / italian diet. I would ask and warn the waiter every single time before you choose a meal.

What is Bella class? I've never used room service before on any cruise but just like to know my options. I am very careful about warning because I don't like the repercussions of what happens when I ingest tomatoes/peppers. I actually am on a low histamine diet due to my reactions to food, so I can provide that ahead of time and while onboard. I know with Carnival you meet with the hostess each night. I made it through Italy okay last year without eating tomatoes and peppers. Looks so good though. Lol.

Do they have ice cream that is free? Not that I need it but other people with me do enjoy it. I think I read something about the buffet being open all but 4 hours a day? Or maybe I'm misreading some things. And is it true that the specialty restaurants are a la carte and nominal fee? Or does this change depending on the region it's sailing?

Ice cream in the MDr is free at lunch and dinner. It costs extra at the gelateria on the pool bar. You may want to look into the Allegrissimo all inclusive package at €23 per person per day. It not only includes most alcoholic drinks, good coffees but also I've cream and fresh juices from the vitamin bar.

I'd definitely declare your allergies to MSC ahead of your cruise and also mKe sure your waiter knows. They are very used to catering for special diets - Italy for some reason has a very high incidence of coeliac

There are different MSC experiences when you book now. Bella is the most basic so room service costs extra, then there is Fantastica which has a few extras! then Aurea etc

I did see the packages. Not sure how valuable they'd be for me beings it's a pretty port intensive cruise/being off the ship most days. Will check getting closer- still quite a while to go. Lol. Is it like carnival that everyone in the room must have it to get it?

Glad to know they'll work with people with food issues.

I just booked a B1 balcony and I'm assuming that's a cost for room service. I don't plan to use it, so no big deal about there being a charge.

Does MSC allow you to add your cruise online to your profile ahead of time? Or not until it's paid in full? I tried to add and it gave me an error. I'm used to being able to just login and make payments on my cruise whenever I want to with Carnival. Is this something you can do with MSC or must you call each time?

Also, I'm bringing my parents and my dad needed an accessible cabin. Lady when I booked told me I could provide a letter from a doctor. When I called to pay deposit yesterday I was told that I do not need to provide any type of letter? Anyone with experience know either one way or other? Thanks.

I did see the packages. Not sure how valuable they'd be for me beings it's a pretty port intensive cruise/being off the ship most days. Will check getting closer- still quite a while to go. Lol. Is it like carnival that everyone in the room must have it to get it?

I just booked a B1 balcony and I'm assuming that's a cost for room service. I don't plan to use it, so no big deal about there being a charge.

Does MSC allow you to add your cruise online to your profile ahead of time? Or not until it's paid in full? I tried to add and it gave me an error. I'm used to being able to just login and make payments on my cruise whenever I want to with Carnival. Is this something you can do with MSC or must you call each time?

Also, I'm bringing my parents and my dad needed an accessible cabin. Lady when I booked told me I could provide a letter from a doctor. When I called to pay deposit yesterday I was told that I do not need to provide any type of letter? Anyone with experience know either one way or other? Thanks.

Hi Jenna1983,

We look forward to welcoming you aboard your first MSC cruise. At this time, you do need to call in to make payments on your cruise. And regarding an accessible cabin, you do not need to provide a letter.

Regards,

No letter needed.

• 2 weeks later...

I am also looking at an MSC cruise out of Amsterdam and saw information about the Bella, Fantastica, and Aurea experiences but was not able to access any pricing for either the experience or the cruise. Do I need to be logged in?? I looked at the US site and didn't see any mention of the different experiences. For US residents, is that factored in the price based on stateroom category? I always book online but this time I will need an accessible cabin for a family member so hoping I can accomplish this as well. I only saw guarantees for the balcony category so perhaps this will require a call. Thanks for any input...

I am also looking at an MSC cruise out of Amsterdam and saw information about the Bella, Fantastica, and Aurea experiences but was not able to access any pricing for either the experience or the cruise. Do I need to be logged in?? I looked at the US site and didn't see any mention of the different experiences. For US residents, is that factored in the price based on stateroom category? I always book online but this time I will need an accessible cabin for a family member so hoping I can accomplish this as well. I only saw guarantees for the balcony category so perhaps this will require a call. Thanks for any input...

Can't comment on the US site but on the UK site you get the specific pricing when you start booking an actual cruise. I picked a Magnifica date at random and entered made up details for 2 people and went to the choose cabin type. Only insides were available on that sailing. When I went to the next page it split between Inside stateroom and inside Stateroom for people with disabilities, reduced mobility. So it would appear you can do this online.

Edited by AmoMondo

Can't comment on the US site but on the UK site you get the specific pricing when you start booking an actual cruise. I picked a Magnifica date at random and entered made up details for 2 people and went to the choose cabin type. Only insides were available on that sailing. When I went to the next page it split between Inside stateroom and inside Stateroom for people with disabilities, reduced mobility. So it would appear you can do this online.

Thank you AmoMondo....that is helpful information:)

I would recommend getting the Allegrissimo, and yes both of you have to sign up for the package.

We had a port intensive cruise last year (6 stops 7 days). We decided to get the package just for convenience. So glad we did. We managed to rack up a bar bill close to 1000euro just by having a couple of bottles of water during the day to take on excursions, a couple of beers when we got back. A couple of cocktails before dinner, a couple of glasses of wine during dinner and a couple of after dinner drinks. It soon mounts up. At 23euro per person per day its the bargain of the century.

Hope you have a great cruise.