help us choose ship

chalky2012

We saw plenty of smart casual as evening wear on formal nights and it didn't appear to shock or spoil anyone's holiday ;)

Actually it was our first P&O cruise and it was one of the things we found a bit disappointing.

P&O is a mass market cruise line. If you want to cruise exclusively 'posh' Carnival will be quite happy to accomodate you aboard Cunard.

Thanks, that was where we've cruised before and we're very happy to be going back.

Actually it was our first P&O cruise and it was one of the things we found a bit disappointing.

Thanks, that was where we've cruised before and we're very happy to be going back.

Sorry to read that you did not like the ambience of P&O

I agree 100% with that statement ;)

Anyway I get the impression that the original poster will have been put off trying P&O :(

For the record, because we may have to dress up a wee bit for 4 of the nights this in itself would never put us off. We just like to know what the protocol is and are there other options on these nights at no time did we say this puts us off so forgive me if I have given you that impression.

On formal nights, I have often seen that it is the women who are not as formal as the men. It is easier, I suppose to pack a dinner suit, rather than several traditional evening dresses. However, I would not let anyone else's choice of outfit disappoint me.

I have only travelled on transatlantics with Cunard - they were wonderful experiences. The ambience is created, I would say, by the continued reinforcement that you are privileged to be there and as a result you are rather 'grand'. It was on one such crossing, that I saw an old gentleman, immaculate in his tuxedo with gleaming white trainers :)

Since Cunard, we have sailed with P and O once (going again this year). There was a lighter atmosphere on that one - we enjoyed it. We sailed with Fred Olsen last year where the food and service was better than both Cunard and P and O. However, these can change, I do realise.

I just hope that formal nights are retained because I do admire a man in a dinner suit.;)

On formal nights, I have often seen that it is the women who are not as formal as the men. It is easier, I suppose to pack a dinner suit, rather than several traditional evening dresses. However, I would not let anyone else's choice of outfit disappoint me.

I have only travelled on transatlantics with Cunard - they were wonderful experiences. The ambience is created, I would say, by the continued reinforcement that you are privileged to be there and as a result you are rather 'grand'. It was on one such crossing, that I saw an old gentleman, immaculate in his tuxedo with gleaming white trainers :)

Since Cunard, we have sailed with P and O once (going again this year). There was a lighter atmosphere on that one - we enjoyed it. We sailed with Fred Olsen last year where the food and service was better than both Cunard and P and O. However, these can change, I do realise.

I just hope that formal nights are retained because I do admire a man in a dinner suit.;)

And here's me now wearing a navy coloured suit, or I would be if the jacket would fit. The doc says I need to lose 30-40 pounds :eek::(

I found the suit with baby blue or pink striped shirts worked very well, even on Arcadia. Plus if you did not fancy a formal night you could use the trousers for evening casual. Mind you I do look smart in a dinner jacket ;)

And here's me now wearing a navy coloured suit, or I would be if the jacket would fit. The doc says I need to lose 30-40 pounds :eek::(

I found the suit with baby blue or pink striped shirts worked very well, even on Arcadia. Plus if you did not fancy a formal night you could use the trousers for evening casual. Mind you I do look smart in a dinner jacket ;)

Oh I'm sure you do ;) In the past, my husband has taken his dinner suit and two suits. The jacket of one of those could be used with different trousers but really, I do think it best to just have two dress codes.

Which ship you go on depends on whether firstly you want to be around children, Ventura will be full of them school holidays, Oceana will have less but still a lot, Oriana is adult only. With regards to formal dressing up, we weren't sure about it and did dress up on the first formal night, but my husband only wore a normal suit with bow-tie, we didn't bother again and we ate in the buffet. A lot of men wear normal jacket and trousers with tie and ladies wearing skirts and blouses. Hope this helps.