Double Travel Insurance?

First off, just let me say that I KNOW how many people here feel about purchasing Vacation Protection through Carnival. I KNOW that many people here use insuremytrip.com. I KNOW ALL of the reasons that people feel it's better to purchase third party travel insurance.

Nonetheless, when I booked my cruise at the end of January, I purchased the Vacation Protection from Carnival for my family of 3. It was steep, at $230 total for the 3 of us. I just thought that if we needed to use the infirmary for any reason that it would make the whole process more streamlined, to just have the Carnival insurance, and that we MAY have the option of not having to pay and then be reimbursed, but just process claim through the insurance. I am still not sure if this is case (if anyone knows, please let me know!) Cancel for any reason was included in this, we can be reimbursed 75%.

That being said, I am now WAY past being able to get coverage for cancelling for any reason through a third party (within 15 days of initial payment, per most providers on insuremytrip.com). I AM however, interested in purchasing additional MEDICAL coverage. Carnival Vacation Protection covers $10,000 in medical, $50,000 for medical evacuation. Many third party providers allow $50,000 in medical coverage, in addition to much more for medical evacuation, and even allowances for lost baggage, trip interruption, etc.

Since I have already spent $230 on the Carnival insurance, would I be completely paranoid to purchase additional medical coverage for another $30 or so? (Keep in mind that I work in a medical clinic and I have some idea how insurances work, with primary and secondaries, etc. I also know that MOST travel insurances merely provide reimbursements six to eight weeks after the fact, not payment upfront.)

Then I would say that you should get what you are comfortable with. Also, I would check with any new provider and explain your situation to verify that you can 'stack' coverage with another policy.

I know you can with life insurance, but you need travel medical coverage, so be sure to ask the question. :)

All of the coverage allowances for the provider that I am interested in on insuremytrip.com are advertised as "secondary". To me, it seems understood that the additional insurance is paying after any other coverage that you already have. Thus, if you HAVE no primary coverage, it would pay as the contract states... or at least that's my way of thinking.

I think it would be MUCH cheaper to dump the Carnival "overpriced" insurance and go with a private plan at insuremytrip.com. If the 3rd person is a family member under the age of 18, their insurance is free with a paying parent. Also, most of the policies on insuremytrip include evacuation. Does Carnival's policy pay for at least $100,000 if you need to be airlifted from the ship?

It's also not advisable to take out insurance from the same company that you wish to potentially file a claim against.

Edited by ibcnusoon

First off, just let me say that I KNOW how many people here feel about purchasing Vacation Protection through Carnival. I KNOW that many people here use insuremytrip.com. I KNOW ALL of the reasons that people feel it's better to purchase third party travel insurance.

Nonetheless, when I booked my cruise at the end of January, I purchased the Vacation Protection from Carnival for my family of 3. It was steep, at $230 total for the 3 of us. I just thought that if we needed to use the infirmary for any reason that it would make the whole process more streamlined, to just have the Carnival insurance, and that we MAY have the option of not having to pay and then be reimbursed, but just process claim through the insurance. I am still not sure if this is case (if anyone knows, please let me know!) Cancel for any reason was included in this, we can be reimbursed 75%.

That being said, I am now WAY past being able to get coverage for cancelling for any reason through a third party (within 15 days of initial payment, per most providers on insuremytrip.com). I AM however, interested in purchasing additional MEDICAL coverage. Carnival Vacation Protection covers $10,000 in medical, $50,000 for medical evacuation. Many third party providers allow $50,000 in medical coverage, in addition to much more for medical evacuation, and even allowances for lost baggage, trip interruption, etc.

Since I have already spent $230 on the Carnival insurance, would I be completely paranoid to purchase additional medical coverage for another $30 or so? (Keep in mind that I work in a medical clinic and I have some idea how insurances work, with primary and secondaries, etc. I also know that MOST travel insurances merely provide reimbursements six to eight weeks after the fact, not payment upfront.)

I think if $30 worth of medical insurance gives you peace of mind while traveling that it would be money well spent.

That depends on the policy. My insurance covers outside of the US as out-of-network.

Guess I should have added "MY" at the beginning of that sentence. MY personal insurance doesn't provide coverage outside of US.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

I think it would be MUCH cheaper to dump the Carnival "overpriced" insurance and go with a private plan at insuremytrip.com. If the 3rd person is a family member under the age of 18, their insurance is free with a paying parent. Also, most of the policies on insuremytrip include evacuation. Does Carnival's policy pay for at least $100,000 if you need to be airlifted from the ship?

It's also not advisable to take out insurance from the same company that you wish to potentially file a claim against.

But if I cancel the Carnival Vacation Protection, I lose my "cancel for any reason" clause. No providers on insuremytrip.com provide this benefit past 15 from inital payment, and I am WAAAAY past that.

I DID however, opt to add more medical coverage from insuremytrip.com, that does include coverage for baggage, evacuation, etc.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk