Week in London then TA

plank

I am out a loss as to what I should pack for the last week in Oct. then 2 weeks of TA from Southampton. Open to all suggestions...I am an over-packer and REALLY want to do this right:)

Edited by plank

I would consider packing (or wearing/carrying on the plane) a trench coat w/a zip-out lining, comfortable walking shoes/boots, a small umbrella, a warm hat, scraf, and gloves. Lightweight wool is a good option for the hat, scarf, and gloves. I would plan to dress in layers. Consider several pairs of pants/jeans, sweaters, blouses, and a nice outfit (can be a black dress or nice slacks w/a nice top/blouse) for the theater...if you are planning to take in a play. Besides my trench coat, I took a light-weight jeans jacket with me on my London trip. I wore that a lot! A good cross-body bag would also be nice to have. I hope this helps and that you have an awesome trip!:D

Edited by mousey

I agree with Mousey about layering and a waterproof coat with a zip out lining. This is what I did on my last cruise (and then two weeks in London) and we had temperatures ranging from 30 to 100 degrees.

Depending on what cruise line your TA is on you might want some mix and match clothes for formal nights. A black skirt can be worn with a few different tops and/or jackets for different looks without having to pack as much.

Hi! This has been one of my concerns since we booked this cruise! Average temps for the countries and dates we'll be visiting range from the 40s to the upper 70s. To add to that, in addition to our pre-cruise days in London, we're also staying in Miami Beach for 3 days post-cruise, where the avg temps are in the mid 80s.

I think you've gotten some really good advice so far and much of it is what I'm going to do, especially the layering.

I am planning my wardrobe around 4 colors so that everything will go with everything, which will be necessary for 21 days and one 25" bag. I am basing my wardrobe on white, black, red and khaki.

Here goes my plans (which, of course, may change lol).

2 long sleeve tees (one white, one black)

1 white oxford cloth button up shirt.

3 short sleeve tees (red, white, black)

3 tanks (same colors)

1 pr black jeans

2 pr casual slacks (khaki and black)

2 knee length skirts (red. black)

2 cardigans (red. black)

3 pr shorts (khaki, white and a darker khaki)

A rain coat It folds up small enough to fit into a pouch that's about 5"x8"

Polar fleece jacket to wear under the raincoat

hat, gloves and scarf go without saying

I also bought a Pac-Safe cross-body with a padded pocket for my tablet and a RFID pocket that I love.

One of the small Totes umbrellas that will fit in my bag with no problem.

I'm really trying to cut back on shoes and am hoping to get away with a pair of Birkie clogs, a pr of walking ballet flats, a pr of flat summer sandals and maybe a pair of sparkly heels for formal nights, but I'm wondering if I can get away with the ballet flats instead of the heels. Hmmmm.......

For formal nights, I found a satiny full length skirt at Marshalls for $10. I bought 3 different beaded tops and will wear the skirt each night.

There you have it. If you come up with different ideas, please share with me!

Edited by nitenurs2

Sue,

If you can get all that in your suitcase, I think that would be awesome. Keeping it to the few colors you have will give you lots of choices for mixing and matching so that you can put together a lot of different looks. Using printed scarves and jewelry will also allow you to change up your outfits.

Good luck with your packing and please come back after your trip and let us know how it all worked out for you.

I hope you have an awesome vacation!:D

Edited by mousey

I agree with Mousey about layering and a waterproof coat with a zip out lining. This is what I did on my last cruise (and then two weeks in London) and we had temperatures ranging from 30 to 100 degrees.

Depending on what cruise line your TA is on you might want some mix and match clothes for formal nights. A black skirt can be worn with a few different tops and/or jackets for different looks without having to pack as much.

Welcome home!!! I followed your travels! Loved it! :D

OP, sorry for interruption! :o

I am out a loss as to what I should pack for the last week in Oct. then 2 weeks of TA from Southampton. Open to all suggestions...I am an over-packer and REALLY want to do this right:)

This woman is a genius when it comes to mix and match outfits. Here's one example, but explore with "key words" in the search window and you'll find much more. http://theviviennefiles.blogspot.com/2013/06/multiple-city-travel-navy-grey-red-and.html

Hi! This has been one of my concerns since we booked this cruise! Average temps for the countries and dates we'll be visiting range from the 40s to the upper 70s. To add to that, in addition to our pre-cruise days in London, we're also staying in Miami Beach for 3 days post-cruise, where the avg temps are in the mid 80s.

I think you've gotten some really good advice so far and much of it is what I'm going to do, especially the layering.

I am planning my wardrobe around 4 colors so that everything will go with everything, which will be necessary for 21 days and one 25" bag. I am basing my wardrobe on white, black, red and khaki.

Here goes my plans (which, of course, may change lol).

2 long sleeve tees (one white, one black)

1 white oxford cloth button up shirt.

3 short sleeve tees (red, white, black)

3 tanks (same colors)

1 pr black jeans

2 pr casual slacks (khaki and black)

2 knee length skirts (red. black)

2 cardigans (red. black)

3 pr shorts (khaki, white and a darker khaki)

A rain coat It folds up small enough to fit into a pouch that's about 5"x8"

Polar fleece jacket to wear under the raincoat

hat, gloves and scarf go without saying

I also bought a Pac-Safe cross-body with a padded pocket for my tablet and a RFID pocket that I love.

One of the small Totes umbrellas that will fit in my bag with no problem.

I'm really trying to cut back on shoes and am hoping to get away with a pair of Birkie clogs, a pr of walking ballet flats, a pr of flat summer sandals and maybe a pair of sparkly heels for formal nights, but I'm wondering if I can get away with the ballet flats instead of the heels. Hmmmm.......

For formal nights, I found a satiny full length skirt at Marshalls for $10. I bought 3 different beaded tops and will wear the skirt each night.

There you have it. If you come up with different ideas, please share with me!

The one thing that stands out here is the Oxford cloth shirt. Does Princess have irons you can use or are you only planning on wearing it once or sending it to be washed and pressed on board? Depending on the fabric of the skirts and pants the same might apply.

I would go with the ballet flats over the heels. They are much safer walking down corridors if the sea is a little rough. They also take up less space in the suitcase.

Sue,

If you can get all that in your suitcase, I think that would be awesome. Keeping it to the few colors you have will give you lots of choices for mixing and matching so that you can put together a lot of different looks. Using printed scarves and jewelry will also allow you to change up your outfits.

Good luck with your packing and please come back after your trip and let us know how it all worked out for you.

I hope you have an awesome vacation!:D

It does see like a lot. doesn't it? But I'll be wearing a pair of th pants (probably the jeans) on the plane, plus the heaviest shoes, the fleece jacket, etc, so there won't be all of that in the suitcase.

The one thing that stands out here is the Oxford cloth shirt. Does Princess have irons you can use or are you only planning on wearing it once or sending it to be washed and pressed on board? Depending on the fabric of the skirts and pants the same might apply.

I would go with the ballet flats over the heels. They are much safer walking down corridors if the sea is a little rough. They also take up less space in the suitcase.

Princess does have irons, but the shirt comes out of the dryer looking really good. If not, well, my husband loves to iron (I know, right?). Skirts and pants are perm press and have never needed ironing.

Trust me, fabric that resist wrinkles is something I have given a lot of thought to.

Edited by nitenurs2

Princess does have irons, but the shirt comes out of the dryer looking really good. If not, well, my husband loves to iron (I know, right?). Skirts and pants are perm press and have never needed ironing.

Trust me, fabric that resist wrinkles is something I have given a lot of thought to.

I found that some of the things I brought needed a little touch up from time to time. Cunard has irons and I brought my steamer for those times that I just could not stand wrinkles.

The skirt is black as are all of the tops.

Top #1 is short sleeved with peach and white beading (also at Marshalls for about 10.00!).

Top # 2 (actually 2 pieces) is a black tank of the same material as the skirt with a long-sleeved jacket with black and silver beading forming a floral pattern.

#3 is long sleeved with gold beads making diamond patterns all over.

Tops 2 and 3 came off of E-Bay. The prices ranged from $4.49 to 18.00.

I was determined to go cheap this time!

Edited by nitenurs2

The skirt is black as are all of the tops.

Top #1 is short sleeved with peach and white beading (also at Marshalls for about 10.00!).

Top # 2 (actually 2 pieces) is a black tank of the same material as the skirt with a long-sleeved jacket with black and silver beading forming a floral pattern.

#3 is long sleeved with gold beads making diamond patterns all over.

Tops 2 and 3 came off of E-Bay. The prices ranged from $4.49 to 18.00.

I was determined to go cheap this time!

I have a nice long black skirt and I am sure I have some nice tops that I can mix and match. My SIL always tells me to go shop in my attic of clothes:) I did go out and bought several pairs of basic colored ankle length pants to mix and match too! I love a good bargain...got pants on sale for great prices!

Edited by plank