Need some help, Newbie questions

randino999

Hello I am taking a cruise this July and plan on spending some time in the beach at Labadee, St. Martin, and Bermuda. I want to try some snorkeling and so far have only attempted it in a pool , I have prescription glasses my vision is terrible, highly near sighted.

I figure making some king of investment into a pair of off the shelf prescription goggles would be a good idea. Although I don't swim much near home so I want to save some money. I needed a new snorkel anyway so I think I might pick up this one [not cheap I know but ,my friend is selling me his] http://www.oceanicworldwide.com/us/ultra-dry/

looks pretty nice, but as far as the actual mask goes I am lost at what is a decent pair for a relatively cheap price. This pair from speedo looks good but it is a swimming pair of goggles. I am guessing it most likely wont hold the Snorkel , http://www.speedousa.com/vanquisher-optical-goggle-1.shtml

Anyone know of a good mask?

Also what is the best island to snorkel out of the islands I am visiting.

Thank you in Advance

Edited by randino999

I am by no means an expert, but since no one has yet responded, I thought I would share my thoughts. First, you have to be able to see. I am very near sighted and wear contact lens for snorkeling. It allows me to use a standard mask and have the best view possible. My brother in law also has vision problems but does not wear contacts. He got a prescription snorkel mask through Snorkel Mart. He was able to order it on line by providing his prescription. Once you have tackled that issue, it's on to fit. The best mask is the one that fits your face. You can get a decent mask for about $30, a decent prescription mask for around $60 or so on line. The difficulty is getting a good fit. You might try a dive shop in your area to try on a number of masks. Even though I only get to snorkel once a year, twice at the most, I absolutely love it! I would invest a little to get the best experience.

• 2 weeks later...

I too can't snorkel or dive without a prescription mask, but don't worry... getting a prescription mask is easy and probably cheaper than a pair of prescription glasses.

Most dive of the larger dive shops will have masks that take prescription lenses. The lenses are an "in stock" item you just select the lens to match your prescription. Then replace the plain lens with the prescription lens. The shop or even online places will change out the lenses for you. The lenses will cost $25-$30 each. You should be able to find the mask itself for under $50. Once you buy it, the mask & lenses will last many years depending on how much you use it.

There are two places I've done business with that I can recommend. The first is scuba.com... I have bought a ton of stuff online from them. I have also bought a bunch of stuff from Divers Direct. Divers Direct has several stores in south Florida you can go into and they have always been very helpful. You can also order online from Divers Direct.

Have fun...

Bob

Searching for Kokomo