Car Rental in Juneau?

bclinton

Anyone have a recommendation for car rental for the day we will be in Juneau? Near the NCL cruise dock. I called rent a wreck and they closed up shop last year. I checked on like with one company at they quoted me $150 for 6 hours - which is ridiculous.

Anyone have a recommendation for car rental for the day we will be in Juneau? Near the NCL cruise dock. I called rent a wreck and they closed up shop last year. I checked on like with one company at they quoted me $150 for 6 hours - which is ridiculous.

As a followup I went with AVIS and one of the online codes. The rate for same day rental went from $94 to $44. We will be renting from the hotel which looked like a short walk from the port. Looking forward to seeing the sites on our own time and saving a few bucks.

We go for convenience much more than price on port days. National/Alamo is right at the NCL dock (the AJ Dock), and in 2012 it cost $135 for a minivan for my group of 6.

Hi - do you know if the Goldbelt hotel is walkable from the cruise ship? It looked to be on paper. That is where the Avis pickup point is for ours.

As a followup I went with AVIS and one of the online codes. The rate for same day rental went from $94 to $44.

Just make sure you are eligible for any online code/discount you find. Otherwise if/when the rental company verifies eligibility when you pick up the car and you might not qualify, you pay the going "walk up" rate.

Just make sure you are eligible for any online code/discount you find. Otherwise if/when the rental company verifies eligibility when you pick up the car and you might not qualify, you pay the going "walk up" rate.

Ok, now you have me paranoid. :)

The website took the code and I have a confirmed reservation. Can you elaborate on why it may not work. I searched on the internet and found a lot of folks using it. The consensus in the groups was that if the website takes it Avis will honor it. How do I find out if I need something else to qualify even after it is confirmed?

Hi - do you know if the Goldbelt hotel is walkable from the cruise ship? It looked to be on paper. That is where the Avis pickup point is for ours.

It's a half-hour walk - 1.4 miles according to GoogleMaps.

YES!

It's a short couple of blocks; you can see the hotel from the little park/pick-up area right where the ships are docked.

Well, if you happen to be at one of the FAR docks, it's a bit longer but I've always been on HAL and we've had the dock right behind the library parking structure.

Ok, now you have me paranoid. :)

The website took the code and I have a confirmed reservation. Can you elaborate on why it may not work. I searched on the internet and found a lot of folks using it. The consensus in the groups was that if the website takes it Avis will honor it. How do I find out if I need something else to qualify even after it is confirmed?

I have no idea what the code is, but if it is from something like Costco or AAA or AARP, etc., you usually need to show some sort of ID. There are other codes that are generic codes and don't require an ID. I have no idea which kind of code you used. If you don't know what the code is for, you don't really know if you are eligible, even if others are using it.

We just rented a car from Avis this week and it worked really well. We were at A dock on the other side of the tram and it took us 15 minutes to walk to the Goldbelt Hotel. It's a nice walk all along the dock. We were there at 8 AM and got the car right away. We paid $57 total. I think the AJ dock has a free shuttle into town.

We just rented a car from Avis this week and it worked really well. We were at A dock on the other side of the tram and it took us 15 minutes to walk to the Goldbelt Hotel. It's a nice walk all along the dock. We were there at 8 AM and got the car right away. We paid $57 total. I think the AJ dock has a free shuttle into town.

Good info. That is my rate too. We went with the small SUV model which was a bit more.

What areas do you suggest we visit?

I reserved a car in September from Juneau Car Rental Company for 57.50 a day.

JUNEAU CAR RENTAL COMPANY

2450-C INDUSTRIAL BLVD

JUNEAU, AK 99801

(907) 957-7530(W)

(866) 535-7649(Fax)

Will they pick you up?

Industrial Blvd is north of the airport.

It's also where the Sandbar is located, the secret fish and chips joint.

Will they pick you up?

Industrial Blvd is north of the airport.

It's also where the Sandbar is located, the secret fish and chips joint.

Not too secret we had lunch there and if you want Halibut its a great place. It is definitely a local place. Not a tourist is sight.

Good info. That is my rate too. We went with the small SUV model which was a bit more.

What areas do you suggest we visit?

Head to Mendenhall first before it gets too crowded. We were there about two hours. we went to the Sandbar for lunch and had the halibut fish and chips. Freshest halibut we ever tasted. The fries were a bit soggy. The first time we rented a car we drove to the end of the road stopping where ever it struck our fancy. This time we drove to Douglas island and visited the Treadwell mine ruins. I had down loaded a walking tour. We also drove around the island a bit until it was time for our ship to leave.

I reserved a car in September from Juneau Car Rental Company for 57.50 a day.

JUNEAU CAR RENTAL COMPANY

2450-C INDUSTRIAL BLVD

JUNEAU, AK 99801

(907) 957-7530(W)

(866) 535-7649(Fax)

I'm sorry to say but if it's not too late, try to change your reservation to Avis. We used Juneau Car Rental last year and it was horrible. Really old and beat up cars. Ours had 165k miles on it, no AC during a heat wave, torn seats, and it stunk of fumes. Also, they don't pick up but claim within walking distance. I suppose it is but it's all up hill and not really close at all.. We took a cab both ways which added to the cheap rate. It was the only mistake I made in my planning last year!we are using Avis out of the Goldbelt this year. I'm pretty sure they will pick up when you call.

I'm sorry to say but if it's not too late, try to change your reservation to Avis. We used Juneau Car Rental last year and it was horrible. Really old and beat up cars. Ours had 165k miles on it, no AC during a heat wave, torn seats, and it stunk of fumes. Also, they don't pick up but claim within walking distance. I suppose it is but it's all up hill and not really close at all.. We took a cab both ways which added to the cheap rate. It was the only mistake I made in my planning last year!we are using Avis out of the Goldbelt this year. I'm pretty sure they will pick up when you call.

I agree. We rented from Juneau Car Rental last week. The walk was much longer than they led me to believe, and uphill. The car had over 150k miles on it, was beat up and not too clean. The rate was cheap, only $57.50, but you get what you pay for. After the long walk to pick up the car, I planned to ask them to call me a cab to pick me up upon returning it. There was no one at the office at 3:30 in the afternoon. They did have a number for a cab company on the window though.

I've never rented from them (or even seen their operation), but the reality (IMHO) is that there are no deals in Alaska - when something is really cheap, there's a reason. This company used to have the Rent-a-Wreck franchise, but RaW corporate has a quality standard, and that may be why they're completely independent now.

We just rented from Avis last Monday. It was $48 total. We spent $20 in gas. One of the best days of our cruise! We went to Mendenhall Glacier, Shrine of St Therese, drove out past Auke Bay and to Eagle Beach rec area. It was a beautiful day and nice drive. We spent about 3 hours at Mendenhall. Stopped at Walmart on the way back for a few supplies. The Goldbelt Hotel is very close to the docks and about a 10 minute walk. We were also upgraded to a 2014 Toyota full sized car which was very nice and well-kept. I highly recommend this option as an alternative to shore excursion.

Edited by Paula_MacFan

As a followup I went with AVIS and one of the online codes. The rate for same day rental went from $94 to $44. We will be renting from the hotel which looked like a short walk from the port. Looking forward to seeing the sites on our own time and saving a few bucks.

Can you share the code you used with Avis?