Question about rates

roroe

Carnival dropped the rate $430 six days after I booked our July cruise. Since it was just booked they claim there's nothing they can do...basically it's too bad for me. Has this ever happened to anyone and did the cruise line do anything to make up for the difference? :mad:

Carnival dropped the rate $430 six days after I booked our July cruise. Since it was just booked they claim there's nothing they can do...basically it's too bad for me. Has this ever happened to anyone and did the cruise line do anything to make up for the difference? :mad:

What rate did you book? All depends on that. If you have no penalty or low penalty to cancel, you could cancel and rebook and probably still save money.

Edited by bunchesofun
add another thought

Hmmmmm...without specifics..one could guess that if you just booked a cruise 6 days ago, for a date in July, it's possible you are inside the final payment date for said cruise, and when you booked, you paid the full cruise amount, which means no ES rate and no rate drops after final payment date...I do believe.

Another option is to look for a potential upgrade. Since it seems prices went down pretty considerably, if you can find a higher category room around the price you paid, you might be able to upgrade for next to nothing.

Chances are the OP would lose at leat 75% of their fare if they cancelled. Chalk this up to a lesson learned. Last-minute sailings are best booked a few weeks out for the best price.

If they aren't cruising until July I don't think it's 75%. It depends on the date in July what the actual amount is but 75% doesn't kick in until 16-29 days from the cruise.

They are probably around the 50% mark unless they are booked the last week of july.

6 day or longer cruises (including Alaska and Hawaii)

Days Prior to Departure Cancellation Charge Per Guest

Booking - 76 Days None (except for Early Saver Fares*)

75 - 56 Days Deposit

55 - 30 Days Deposit or 50% of Total Fare, whichever is greater

29 - 15 Days Deposit or 75% of Total Fare, whichever is greater

14 - 0 Days 100% of Total Fare

Bill