Driving into Berlin

one of the decisions people on this route have to make it what to do in Warnemunde... do you go to Berlin and if so, how do you get there? I researched this issue and decided to use SPB Tours because it seemed the most expedient way to get Berlin done. However, my brothers really wanted to drive on the autobahn, so I cancelled the tour and rented a car. I used EuropeCar and had them deliver the car to the port. It was not cheap (although it was cheaper than a tour for the 3 of us) and the guys had a GREAT time driving! it only took us 2 hours each way, while people on busses and trains took about 3 hours. we were given advice to park outside of the city and Metro in but did not do that and are very glad! we drove right to the city, parked and walked around for several hours. Saw most of the things we wanted to, obviously we needed much more time to properly see everything. So, just wanted to give you guys a first hand account that this option is very viable - it was definitely the right choice for us.btw, people who took the Princess excursion were happy, and so were the people who stayed in town. I didn't hear anyone complaining about the choices they made so I think you can't go too wrong.

one of the decisions people on this route have to make it what to do in Warnemunde... do you go to Berlin and if so, how do you get there? I researched this issue and decided to use SPB Tours because it seemed the most expedient way to get Berlin done. However, my brothers really wanted to drive on the autobahn, so I cancelled the tour and rented a car. I used EuropeCar and had them deliver the car to the port. It was not cheap (although it was cheaper than a tour for the 3 of us) and the guys had a GREAT time driving! it only took us 2 hours each way, while people on busses and trains took about 3 hours. we were given advice to park outside of the city and Metro in but did not do that and are very glad! we drove right to the city, parked and walked around for several hours. Saw most of the things we wanted to, obviously we needed much more time to properly see everything. So, just wanted to give you guys a first hand account that this option is very viable - it was definitely the right choice for us.btw, people who took the Princess excursion were happy, and so were the people who stayed in town. I didn't hear anyone complaining about the choices they made so I think you can't go too wrong.

thanks, great info.

Might consider this.

• 3 weeks later...

just paid the credit card charges for the rental car and gas. for 3 people it was $80 each (so for 4 it would have only been $60 each). much cheaper than the $125 for the tour from SPB. and the guys had a BLAST driving on the autobahn!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi MotherOfTwingirls. We rented from Europcar and had them meet us at the ship so it was very convenient. We set the GPS to bring us to the Brandenburg Gate, which is right in the heart of things. Once we got there we drove around for a few blocks and parked for the day. We then walked by the Reichstag, Brandenburg Gate, Topography of Terrors, Holocaust Memorial, and whatever else we came across. We did not push our luck, as we didn't have a ton of time and we wanted to have a little margin in case of traffic or other problems getting back. IF we had a little more time we would have driven over to the other side of town to see the East Side Gallery (which is basically the wall turned into art). We got back to Warnemunde in time to fill up and stop at a fun little market where we got great prices on candy and alcohol. Perfect! be sure to rent a fast car, there is no sense doing the autobahn if you can't really speed. we had an Audi A5 and the boys were thrilled. this was an excellent way to go - we saved time and money and also had a more custom experience. feel free to ask any questions, I'll check back here or PM me. I'm in OC, where are you?

be sure to rent a fast car, there is no sense doing the autobahn if you can't really speed.
Isn't the autobahn between Warnemuende and Berlin speed limited for most if not all of the journey?

In a similar context, I recall advice from locals about which side of the Rhine to drive along, because the autobahn on one side was speed limited and the autobahn on the other was not.

Isn't the autobahn between Warnemuende and Berlin speed limited for most if not all of the journey?

In a similar context, I recall advice from locals about which side of the Rhine to drive along, because the autobahn on one side was speed limited and the autobahn on the other was not.

These are the current speed limits in force between Rostock and Berlin. They can, of course, change at any time due to road works.

Rostock to junction with E22, approx. 30 klm - Speed limit varies, in some places temporary due to road works, in others unlimited.

Junction with E22 to junction with E26, approx 100klm - Unlimited.

Junction with E26 to Berlin Ring Road, approx 80klm - Speed limit 130kph

Berlin Ring Road, approx 20klm - Speed limit varies between 120kph and unlimited.

Driving on the autobahn is safe even with such high speeds as German drivers are very disciplined and the road rules strictly obeyed. As long as o/seas drivers do the same they are OK. I, personally, feel safer on the autobahn than on country roads where impatient drivers do not seem to stick so closely to the rules.

Anni

Edited by Travelanni

• 8 months later...

This was music to my ears. I too am planning to rent a car and drive to Berlin. I also reserved at Fat Tire Bicycle tours of city of Berlin. Fat Tire has excellent reviews and I am hoping it will be more efficient than walking and better and different experience. We arrive on June 27th a Saturday, so I am hoping traffic won't be bad...........

• 1 month later...

I too love to try driving into Berlin & experience the autobahn.

Any anticipated road closure along A19 A24 A10 Jun 7 2015 ?

Where is the closest service station to fill-up gas before car return ?

Is street parking free in Berlin on Sunday ?

It appears that only SIXT is accepting online reservation at this moment.

Thx

for 3 people it was $80 each (so for 4 it would have only been $60 each). much cheaper than the $125 for the tour from SPB. and the guys had a BLAST driving on the autobahn!

I believe SPB charges $105 for their Berlin shore excursion if you also sign up with them for St Petersburg.