Queen Mary Transatlantic Cherbourg vs. Southampton Pricing?

maina

We are hoping to do the transatlantic crossing on QM in October, which has departure from Southampton on October 8, but also a day earlier from Cherbourg. We'll be in the Netherlands, so thought it might be nice to depart from Cherbourg. From Cherbourg, the only Britannia balcony cabins left are in the BA class (mid, high deck) at a cost of US $3,468. From Southampton, the price for same class is $2,299. If I'm doing the math correctly, that's over 50% higher for one extra day. On a per-day basis, it would be $519/day from Cherbourg vs. $287/day from Southampton. Can anyone explain the strange price differential, or is just one of those imponderable Cunard pricing peculiarities?

We'll likely try for a lesser-priced cabin class and leave from Southampton. On our one and only previous transatlantic, from NY, we were happy with a forward sheltered balcony cabin (now in BD category I believe), to which we'd been upgraded from ocean view. I'm kicking myself that I didn't book several weeks ago when there was a sale on. I've been watching the available cabins in ED, BC, and BD for the last 10 days or so, and there doesn't seem to be any change in which ones are available. Probably too much to hope for another sale in the near future, however. :(

We are hoping to do the transatlantic crossing on QM in October, which has departure from Southampton on October 8, but also a day earlier from Cherbourg. We'll be in the Netherlands, so thought it might be nice to depart from Cherbourg. From Cherbourg, the only Britannia balcony cabins left are in the BA class (mid, high deck) at a cost of US $3,468. From Southampton, the price for same class is $2,299. If I'm doing the math correctly, that's over 50% higher for one extra day. On a per-day basis, it would be $519/day from Cherbourg vs. $287/day from Southampton. Can anyone explain the strange price differential, or is just one of those imponderable Cunard pricing peculiarities?

We'll likely try for a lesser-priced cabin class and leave from Southampton. On our one and only previous transatlantic, from NY, we were happy with a forward sheltered balcony cabin (now in BD category I believe), to which we'd been upgraded from ocean view. I'm kicking myself that I didn't book several weeks ago when there was a sale on. I've been watching the available cabins in ED, BC, and BD for the last 10 days or so, and there doesn't seem to be any change in which ones are available. Probably too much to hope for another sale in the near future, however. :(

I am certain that it is higher because it has "iconic" status in their eyes, rather akin to the trips involving Liverpool this year. Cherbourg terminal is a historical place but I don't think that departing from there is worth the extra money.

Thanks for the prompt reply. Cherbourg has a "historic" interest for me personally, as my mother and her family sailed for the U.S. from there on the Berengaria, then a Cunard ship, in the 1920s when they left Hungary. But as you say, it's not worth that much extra!

The Southamton sailing still has promo rates ( RDC , RDT ) and good availability .

The Cherbourg sailing has no more promo rates and almost sold out . Too late for a good deal : (

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

MCC Retired--

I can't find promo rates for this October 8th QM sailing from Southampton on the Cunard website. I'm also not sure what you mean by the initials "RDC and RDT." Could you explain? Thanks.

Ann ("Maina")

We booked this trip a week or so ago. The two promos were "upgrade to balcony for ocean view price", and "free gratuities for two". I am not sure if the free gratuities are still available, but the balcony for OV price seems to be. It may expire on the 31st, however.

I am new to Cunard (this will be our first trip), so I have no experience to draw from, but this trip has gone up by a couple of hundred per person for our cabin category since we booked. But I have seen several posts about price drops after final deposit, so I can't offer any good advice on whether to buy now or later. Perhaps others with more experience could advise.

If you have not arranged it yet, we did get good airfare for our one way to UK through Cunard. We are going over a week early for some sightseeing, etc.

Edited by DWhit

MCC Retired--

I can't find promo rates for this October 8th QM sailing from Southampton on the Cunard website. I'm also not sure what you mean by the initials "RDC and RDT." Could you explain? Thanks.

Ann ("Maina")

Those are the Rate Codes (discounted rates) currently available on your sailing. You may not see them listed that way on the Cunard site , but they are there .A TA

will be able to see them displayed on their POLAR booking system.

RDC is currently the better rates (RDC FREE BALC UPGR+FREE GRATS + $150 )

There were better promos awhile back but that is history , it is what it is.

These promos will either fill out the sailing or FLASH rate codes will appear, for new bookings only, after final payment date passes.

Edited by MCC retired