Port Liberty?

cyndeeee

Cape Liberty is in Bayonne New Jersey and they have adequate on site outdoor parking. The cost, I believe, is $84 a week (7 days). I know they take cash but don't know if they accept credit cards or travelers checks. You may want to find out. Also, they have a little shuttle that will take you from your car to the check in terminal. They will not take suitcases though I am told. So, you should pull in and unload your suitcases to the care of the plentiful porters and THEN park the car and if you have a long walk you can catch the shuttle bus back.

Sailed out of port liberty in june. you drive up to the terminal, your luggage is taken out of your vehicle and put on carts to be brought on board. You are then directed to the lot where you park (yes it was $84). we then walked to the ship but there is a mini bus if you choose.

enjoy

We will be disembarking at Port Liberty in September and will have a car service meet us.

Does anyone know where the meeting point is? I heard that the pier is not at the terminal. Where do you claim your luggage?

Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Peggy: When you disembark from the ship, a shuttle bus will take you to the terminal to claim your luggage. Once you exit the terminal, there is a drop off/pick up area where your driver can meet you. It gets a little congested, but there are enough workers directing traffic to keep it orderly. I found it to be a very quick terminal to get out of (after our Zenith cruise.)

The parking lot does accept credit cards.

last August we arranged for a driver to pick us up. There is a strip mall not far from the terminal. He waited for us in there and when we were called to get off of the ship, we called him from the deck. I think it took us about 15 minutes from that point to get to the pick up area.

It does get busy and they make cars move if there is no one to load in them at that very minute ... but if you driver has experience with Cape Liberty there should be little trouble.

You're welcome Peggy....I should have added that it's only a 2 minute bus ride from ship to terminal, & from the time that we disembarked to the time that we were in the car and on our way was only 30 minutes. Also, because of the shuttle bus, I would try to keep hand luggage to a minimum....I had too much and it was awkward on the bus and climbing the several flights of steps to get on/off the ship at the pier in Bayonne.

I'm trying to choose between parking for my 12 night cruise at $12 a day (will they charge for 13 days parking?), versus taking a car service for about $70 plus tip and toll each way.

I called Celebrity and they offer a transfer only to EWR or LGA at $98. per passenger.

Does anyone know of a more economic way to/from Queens, NY? Cannot use the 99S/taxi combination from the New York bus terminal because of large baggage not carried on suburban bus.

Bob,

I see that you are on our Oct. 17th cruise. We have a very active Roll Call board and there has been some info about the Cape Liberty terminal. We are driving there from Western Pa., and plan to leave our car there.

See you on Oct. 17th!!!

We'll be arriving on the Constellation's Transatlantic in late September, and I was wondering if anyone knows what the cab fare is to mid-town Manhatten from the Cape Liberty cruise terminal ??

Srpilo

I've sailed out of Bayonne on VOS last Sept.We parked our car there for 5 days.They only took (cash) no credit cards to use the lot.Dropoff and pick up were not a problem and seemed to move along quite well with all the people coming and going.We are going out again later on in Oct.and decided to use a limo service this time because we have 6 people going which would be cheaper for us rather than parking two cars.Luggage takes up a lot of room as well.It takes us 35 min.to get there and very little traffic to deal with.An IDEA that we have used in the past.All the hotels around the newark airport offer some sort of park and fly packages that offer a one night stay and 7 nights parking in their long turm lots from $99./$120.After seven days they will charge you about $10.a day there after.I've even had them waive the few extra days just for using the hotel.Hilton is the one that i have used the most.Its about a fifteen minute ride to Bayonne from the airport.I'm not aware of any car services from the hotels to the pier but i'd be intereseted in any info.The Bayonne pier is fairly new to the area so i haven't checked out the hotels for any car services to the pier yet.

I'm trying to choose between parking for my 12 night cruise at $12 a day (will they charge for 13 days parking?), versus taking a car service for about $70 plus tip and toll each way.

Bob - for our 7 day cruise (Sat-Sat) they charged for 7 days @ $12.00/day. Full charge was $84.00 (no tax added.)

And they now accept credit cards (I used one in May.) It's a very easy port to park at, so if you don't mind the drive there, it's a great option. It sure beats trying to drive to & park at the pier in NYC.

However, for a 12 day cruise & a car service at $70. ea. way, driving there yourself doesn't save you very much.

Susan,

I had read on another post that leaving your car there in Bayonne at the cruise port that upon return from the cruise, the cars were covered with some kind of film which was difficult to wash off and also made the windsheild very dirty and streaky if and when it rains.

Did you experience this problem? Also, did you happen to notice many cars with car covers over them? Thanks for any information you can share.

I noticed the posts about the substance on the cars but didn't read them all (that was shortly after our cruise) .... we had no problems there. No car covers on any cars either.

The area is completely open - so definitely nothing from trees - maybe discharge from a plane since the airport is near there, or from a ship's smoke stack, although the ships dock a fair ways away from the parking lot.

I would drive to and park at Bayonne anytime, other than the fact that the lot is a little rough (it could use paving), it's fine. I was parked close enough to the terminal to walk to it (a 2 min. walk) but as soon as I parked, the shuttle bus was waiting for me.

When we went on April 30th, I think only Zenith was sailing out of Bayonne, so the lot may be more full now with other ships using that port.

Archived